Beauty and the Beast - Flash Entertainment
recent threads recent posts search posts faq rules
Home » Dubai & Northern Emirates » Can I have my change please?
Pages: 1 2 3

Sue62
Posts 7175



09/05/2011 20:33:45
my bits today were an odd 88 fils and the man in le marche didn't ask for anything, just gave me 50 fils change...


Hello.Again.Kitty
Posts 2043



09/05/2011 20:07:49
Crystil wrote:
guinness wrote:
Crystil wrote:
guinness wrote:
I've noticed that neither Choithrams nor Spinney's ever offer the correct change. And I must be unlucky because I can't remember the last time that the amount was in my favor.


You have to round it down and make it in your favor!!! If they take 25 fils because you owe them 5, 10, or 15 - ask for 25 fils. Generally you will get it, and if they are reluctant, tell them to make it up with the next customer they overcharge.


Those are really good ideas - particularly making it into my favor! I think I need assertiveness training!!!


When I do the "take it from the next customer" I have gotten so many looks by customers behind me. I know I look a bit cheap in doing it, but when you calculate all the money that they have helped themselves to over the years it can really irk you!!!
edited by Crystil on 09/05/2011


hehe - yes, that may be a bit harsh if you're in the queue - I tend to go for "it'll be fine" or something nice and neutral.


Saltire
Posts 1695



09/05/2011 20:07:41
Generally if it is less than half of 25 I shall round down in my favour, if it is more than half of 25 I shall round up, it evens itself out. I don't agree with the people who say that all prices should be in 50 fils increments as that would initially mean an increase in price on everything, then all price increases after that would be in 50 fils increments. Shopping would become even more expensive, more quickly.


Crystil
Posts 1330



09/05/2011 19:59:38
guinness wrote:
Crystil wrote:
guinness wrote:
I've noticed that neither Choithrams nor Spinney's ever offer the correct change. And I must be unlucky because I can't remember the last time that the amount was in my favor.


You have to round it down and make it in your favor!!! If they take 25 fils because you owe them 5, 10, or 15 - ask for 25 fils. Generally you will get it, and if they are reluctant, tell them to make it up with the next customer they overcharge.


Those are really good ideas - particularly making it into my favor! I think I need assertiveness training!!!


When I do the "take it from the next customer" I have gotten so many looks by customers behind me. I know I look a bit cheap in doing it, but when you calculate all the money that they have helped themselves to over the years it can really irk you!!!
edited by Crystil on 09/05/2011


Hello.Again.Kitty
Posts 2043



09/05/2011 19:53:46
Crystil wrote:
guinness wrote:
I've noticed that neither Choithrams nor Spinney's ever offer the correct change. And I must be unlucky because I can't remember the last time that the amount was in my favor.


You have to round it down and make it in your favor!!! If they take 25 fils because you owe them 5, 10, or 15 - ask for 25 fils. Generally you will get it, and if they are reluctant, tell them to make it up with the next customer they overcharge. Always carry plenty of 25, 50 coins. If your bill is XX.65, give them bills and 50 fils.
edited by Crystil on 09/05/2011


I do that now too.

Last week something came to 40.20 so I gave the chap a 50 and he asked for change, I said I had none, he apparently didn't have any 25s or 50s, so I told him to just give me a 10... he did have some kind of spasm and started on a "but..." but yes, I just shrugged and repeated "just give me the 10, it's easy" and he did.

Also, at the same place, I was due 0.75 change and they only gave me a 50 fils!

Still can't really believe it's even an issue - lol!


guinness
Posts 2697



09/05/2011 19:15:28
Crystil wrote:
guinness wrote:
I've noticed that neither Choithrams nor Spinney's ever offer the correct change. And I must be unlucky because I can't remember the last time that the amount was in my favor.


You have to round it down and make it in your favor!!! If they take 25 fils because you owe them 5, 10, or 15 - ask for 25 fils. Generally you will get it, and if they are reluctant, tell them to make it up with the next customer they overcharge. Always carry plenty of 25, 50 coins. If your bill is XX.65, give them bills and 50 fils.
edited by Crystil on 09/05/2011


Those are really good ideas - particularly making it into my favor! I think I need assertiveness training!!!


Crystil
Posts 1330



09/05/2011 18:30:52
guinness wrote:
I've noticed that neither Choithrams nor Spinney's ever offer the correct change. And I must be unlucky because I can't remember the last time that the amount was in my favor.


You have to round it down and make it in your favor!!! If they take 25 fils because you owe them 5, 10, or 15 - ask for 25 fils. Generally you will get it, and if they are reluctant, tell them to make it up with the next customer they overcharge. Always carry plenty of 25, 50 coins. If your bill is XX.65, give them bills and 50 fils.
edited by Crystil on 09/05/2011


Evenstar
Posts 203



09/05/2011 17:13:05
Hey Ladies,
I haven't ever had spinneys give the right change, but choitrams in silicon does.
I have loads of ten fil coins...
You get them a lot in the poorer parts of town (international city). Big Grin
None of the mythical five fils though!


guinness
Posts 2697



09/05/2011 16:40:27
I've noticed that neither Choithrams nor Spinney's ever offer the correct change. And I must be unlucky because I can't remember the last time that the amount was in my favor.



Posts



09/05/2011 16:31:49
Apologises if this has already been mentioned, but noticed at Park n Shop that their tills automatically round up or down to the nearest 25 fils so staff then ask you for the rounded amount, they only alter it back to correct amount if you are paying by credit card.


jewelsmiddle
Posts 872



12/04/2011 09:05:32
About time !



miss balamory wrote:
is it spooky that this is in the GN this morning

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/general/every-fils-counts-a-change-in-attitude-is-needed-1.790716


jewelsmiddle
Posts 872



12/04/2011 09:03:52
The point is , they need to be at the tills so to reduce short changing by shops and pressure needs to be applied on shops to supply sufficient change and gives the customer the immediate option to put in box.

Unfortunately the other option is for shops to increase prices as unlikely they would reduce them.

Hello.Again.Kitty wrote:
jewelsmiddle wrote:
Charity boxes for change could easily be put beside cash tills and issue easily resolved and loose change going to the place needed most not the shop keepers coffers.

This was pratice many years ago in some countries

imolinar wrote:
I think this practice is done in many countries where the small change is insignificant. But, I think it works both ways, if the bill is 30.30, I give 3.25 and they never said anything, sometimes they even give me a few fills more. I dont see a big deal. Even in the USA, many people dont even take the pennies they get back, many even throw them in the garbage. I was a cashier there, so I know.

edited by jewelsmiddle on 12/04/2011


I was about to say the same thing! Literally throwing money away is just weird... and quite wrong! Certainly most supermarkets here have charity boxes close by and most do in the UK too... as well as places like chemists... or you could always pop into a charity shop...

edited by jewelsmiddle on 12/04/2011


guinness
Posts 2697



12/04/2011 09:01:28
miss balamory wrote:
is it spooky that this is in the GN this morning

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/general/every-fils-counts-a-change-in-attitude-is-needed-1.790716


I just saw that! Strange coincidence. Or not???Whaaaaa?


Hello.Again.Kitty
Posts 2043



12/04/2011 08:55:06
jewelsmiddle wrote:
Charity boxes for change could easily be put beside cash tills and issue easily resolved and loose change going to the place needed most not the shop keepers coffers.

This was pratice many years ago in some countries

imolinar wrote:
I think this practice is done in many countries where the small change is insignificant. But, I think it works both ways, if the bill is 30.30, I give 3.25 and they never said anything, sometimes they even give me a few fills more. I dont see a big deal. Even in the USA, many people dont even take the pennies they get back, many even throw them in the garbage. I was a cashier there, so I know.

edited by jewelsmiddle on 12/04/2011


I was about to say the same thing! Literally throwing money away is just weird... and quite wrong! Certainly most supermarkets here have charity boxes close by and most do in the UK too... as well as places like chemists... or you could always pop into a charity shop...


jewelsmiddle
Posts 872



12/04/2011 08:51:40
Charity boxes for change could easily be put beside cash tills and issue easily resolved and loose change going to the place needed most not the shop keepers coffers.

This was pratice many years ago in some countries

imolinar wrote:
I think this practice is done in many countries where the small change is insignificant. But, I think it works both ways, if the bill is 30.30, I give 3.25 and they never said anything, sometimes they even give me a few fills more. I dont see a big deal. Even in the USA, many people dont even take the pennies they get back, many even throw them in the garbage. I was a cashier there, so I know.

edited by jewelsmiddle on 12/04/2011


HereWeGo
Posts 755



12/04/2011 07:46:00
I think the smallest coin should be 50 fils, cancel the rest, and shops should start to price their goods accordingly. Get with the times.


imolinar
Posts 1112



12/04/2011 07:12:55
I think this practice is done in many countries where the small change is insignificant. But, I think it works both ways, if the bill is 30.30, I give 3.25 and they never said anything, sometimes they even give me a few fills more. I dont see a big deal. Even in the USA, many people dont even take the pennies they get back, many even throw them in the garbage. I was a cashier there, so I know.


Tiki
Posts 1025



12/04/2011 00:55:36
Nimonemo, the facts are that the 1,5,10,20 fils are NOT going to the employees. They are going to the shop.
If they wanted us to pay 10dhs, then, don't price at 9,90 and refuse to give the change.
Then, if one decide to give a tip to someone, it's its own business.
I don't see relation with the OP comment and yours, as your not talking to the same money, going to the same person...


starsouthern
Posts 1926



11/04/2011 23:48:09
Shops in australia always round up and down, and that works fine with me, because one visit it rounds up another down it all evens out.

It is basically stealing by not giving you back your change, and it may not make a huge difference to my pocket, but its the principle. The people at the till do not get to keep this money, it's the supermarkets that keep it, and as mentioned before it all adds up.

Nimonemo, I see your point that it doesn't make a difference to your pocket personally, but really it's not OK, as you've mentioned yourself, shops like spinneys already charge a fortune for their products so why is it OK for them to then short change you when you check out?

there's a really good saying, look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves....


jewelsmiddle
Posts 872



11/04/2011 23:43:05
that money should be given to charity not profit for the store.



Bianca72 wrote:
Crystil wrote:
It's more about the principle. It's about people assuming it's OK not to give you what is rightfully yours.

@ Nimo: please have a read. All those "pennies" add up.

With an estimated total of between 500,000 to 800,000 households in the UAE, the gross money lost by customers in the process is between Dh5 and 8 million, which works out between Dh50-Dh100 million per year.

Full article:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/general/special-report-don-t-leave-without-your-10-fils-1.789596


Do you realize that this comes to dhs 5,5 A YEAR per person!!! That's GBP 0.91. Take into account the amounts that are rounded DOWN and the amount probably drops to GBP 0.50 (a year, that is)... Still not sure why everybody gets so upset about this.


Bianca72
Posts 947



11/04/2011 23:42:01
Crystil wrote:
It's more about the principle. It's about people assuming it's OK not to give you what is rightfully yours.

@ Nimo: please have a read. All those "pennies" add up.

With an estimated total of between 500,000 to 800,000 households in the UAE, the gross money lost by customers in the process is between Dh5 and 8 million, which works out between Dh50-Dh100 million per year.

Full article:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/general/special-report-don-t-leave-without-your-10-fils-1.789596


Do you realize that this comes to dhs 5,5 A YEAR per person!!! That's GBP 0.91. Take into account the amounts that are rounded DOWN and the amount probably drops to GBP 0.50 (a year, that is)... Still not sure why everybody gets so upset about this.


moo moo
Posts 660



11/04/2011 23:36:46
Hello.Again.Kitty wrote:
moo moo wrote:
Nimonemo wrote:
In this forum I usually read threads about maids, hairdressers, pedicures, weekends away in expensive resorts and so on. That is why I am astonished about the pennies thing. Sorry I did not want to dismiss anybody, it is just to show my surprise.
I still think that if we are here having a reasonably good expat live we cannot really compare with anybody coming from a developing country. But this is just my opinion. I cannot afford a flat in Scotland nor Spain at the moment but I feel that I am incredibly lucky that I can choose to be here and I really feel that I am a millionaire in comparison with the majority of the people in the world.
Supermarkets will still make their money by raising the prices 0.08GBP so I still do not see the point.
However, I did not want to sound rude so I apologise. Good night!
edited by Nimonemo on 11/04/2011


Good point in my opinion.

Can't believe fils are being discussed. At the moment I haven't got much money (was gonna use a stronger term of phrase but decided not to!) but I know that I am still better off than a lot of others here.


Invariably, ALL expats - from the lowliest of labourers to the richest of bankers - are better of here than an awful lot of their compatriots back home.


Agreed HAK. And again I agree that it is the big "I am"s who will be pocketing those extra fils. However, I must admit that every time I have shopped, the fils amount has been rounded down. Am I just lucky? I have no issue with rounding down to each quarter.


Dubai-Mum
Posts 1299



11/04/2011 23:31:56
Crystil, honestly I think the ones who disagree just arent getting the point. This isnt really about the money, and to come back with 'but its only 10 fils' shows that on a basic level, the main point isnt being addressed. But to each his own I suppose.


Hello.Again.Kitty
Posts 2043



11/04/2011 23:29:38
moo moo wrote:
Nimonemo wrote:
In this forum I usually read threads about maids, hairdressers, pedicures, weekends away in expensive resorts and so on. That is why I am astonished about the pennies thing. Sorry I did not want to dismiss anybody, it is just to show my surprise.
I still think that if we are here having a reasonably good expat live we cannot really compare with anybody coming from a developing country. But this is just my opinion. I cannot afford a flat in Scotland nor Spain at the moment but I feel that I am incredibly lucky that I can choose to be here and I really feel that I am a millionaire in comparison with the majority of the people in the world.
Supermarkets will still make their money by raising the prices 0.08GBP so I still do not see the point.
However, I did not want to sound rude so I apologise. Good night!
edited by Nimonemo on 11/04/2011


Good point in my opinion.

Can't believe fils are being discussed. At the moment I haven't got much money (was gonna use a stronger term of phrase but decided not to!) but I know that I am still better off than a lot of others here.


Invariably, ALL expats - from the lowliest of labourers to the richest of bankers - are better of here than an awful lot of their compatriots back home.


Crystil
Posts 1330



11/04/2011 23:25:27
moo moo wrote:
Nimonemo wrote:
In this forum I usually read threads about maids, hairdressers, pedicures, weekends away in expensive resorts and so on. That is why I am astonished about the pennies thing. Sorry I did not want to dismiss anybody, it is just to show my surprise.
I still think that if we are here having a reasonably good expat live we cannot really compare with anybody coming from a developing country. But this is just my opinion. I cannot afford a flat in Scotland nor Spain at the moment but I feel that I am incredibly lucky that I can choose to be here and I really feel that I am a millionaire in comparison with the majority of the people in the world.
Supermarkets will still make their money by raising the prices 0.08GBP so I still do not see the point.
However, I did not want to sound rude so I apologise. Good night!
edited by Nimonemo on 11/04/2011


Good point in my opinion.

Can't believe fils are being discussed. At the moment I haven't got much money (was gonna use a stronger term of phrase but decided not to!) but I know that I am still better off than a lot of others here.


Did you read the entire thread? Did you read the article in Gulfnews? If you did, you would see the point, which is about principle, for the most part.


Sue62
Posts 7175



11/04/2011 23:25:08
Dubai-Mum wrote:
Sue62 wrote:
is that the worthiest cause they can find ???


It certainly beats the one where they try to get fat men to slim down and show before and after pictures!


pmsl.... and ewwwww lol


Dubai-Mum
Posts 1299



11/04/2011 23:23:30
Sue62 wrote:
is that the worthiest cause they can find ???


It certainly beats the one where they try to get fat men to slim down and show before and after pictures!


moo moo
Posts 660



11/04/2011 23:19:56
Nimonemo wrote:
In this forum I usually read threads about maids, hairdressers, pedicures, weekends away in expensive resorts and so on. That is why I am astonished about the pennies thing. Sorry I did not want to dismiss anybody, it is just to show my surprise.
I still think that if we are here having a reasonably good expat live we cannot really compare with anybody coming from a developing country. But this is just my opinion. I cannot afford a flat in Scotland nor Spain at the moment but I feel that I am incredibly lucky that I can choose to be here and I really feel that I am a millionaire in comparison with the majority of the people in the world.
Supermarkets will still make their money by raising the prices 0.08GBP so I still do not see the point.
However, I did not want to sound rude so I apologise. Good night!
edited by Nimonemo on 11/04/2011


Good point in my opinion.

Can't believe fils are being discussed. At the moment I haven't got much money (was gonna use a stronger term of phrase but decided not to!) but I know that I am still better off than a lot of others here.


Sue62
Posts 7175



11/04/2011 23:15:33
is that the worthiest cause they can find ???


Dubai-Mum
Posts 1299



11/04/2011 23:14:25
Nimonemo wrote:
In this forum I usually read threads about maids, hairdressers, pedicures, weekends away in expensive resorts and so on. That is why I am astonished about the pennies thing. Sorry I did not want to dismiss anybody, it is just to show my surprise.
I still think that if we are here having a reasonably good expat live we cannot really compare with anybody coming from a developing country. But this is just my opinion. I cannot afford a flat in Scotland nor Spain at the moment but I feel that I am incredibly lucky that I can choose to be here and I really feel that I am a millionaire in comparison with the majority of the people in the world.
Supermarkets will still make their money by raising the prices 0.08GBP so I still do not see the point.
However, I did not want to sound rude so I apologise. Good night!
edited by Nimonemo on 11/04/2011



No need to apologise, I put on my rhino hide to post on EW ! I dont want the thread to digress into a little spat so lets get back to the topic. No offence meant/taken!!
I think GN has started a campaign with some sort of catchy name to curb this 'penny-pinching' trend.


Pages: 1 2 3
 
 
 
 
 
Abu Dhabi Dubai Bahrain Kuwait Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Azerbaijan Singapore Hong Kong Vietnam Site Map

© 2001 - , ExpatWoman.com. All Rights Reserved.