Guide to Oman ExpatWoman
recent threads recent posts search posts faq rules
Home » Dubai & Northern Emirates » anyone from Blighty missing doner kebabs from a street van?
Pages: 1 2

sarahkay686
Posts 447

30/10/2011 21:03:25
spongemonkey wrote:
Princess_I wrote:
OMG - am i the only British person who has never had a doner kebab.... they look vile and smell even worse....

I have never had one either so you are not alone.

Michale McIntyre does a great skit about these - that you buy them when drunk then throw them at the window of the shop as they are so vile..

As I said my son was horrified to see the PRICE of them in the UK compared to a couple of dirham shawarma here.

OK, have you ever bought sweet n sour and curry sauce from a Chinese takeaway? Throw the sauce pots at a window and really smear the sauce in....then look at it the next day baking in the morning sun. You will never buy these again

spongemonkey
Posts 21079

30/10/2011 20:52:54
Princess_I wrote:
OMG - am i the only British person who has never had a doner kebab.... they look vile and smell even worse....

I have never had one either so you are not alone.

Michale McIntyre does a great skit about these - that you buy them when drunk then throw them at the window of the shop as they are so vile..

As I said my son was horrified to see the PRICE of them in the UK compared to a couple of dirham shawarma here.

sarahkay686
Posts 447

30/10/2011 20:48:02
Princess_I wrote:
sarahkay686 wrote:
Princess_I wrote:

they only smell bad early evening when the elephant's foot left over from the night before is put on the spindle and begin to heats up. on a nice breezy summer's evening the waft from the van can be overpowering

later on at night when the foot has been cooking for a while, it does smell better and goes all crispy around the edges

Nope it's vile all the time!!!

am with Dubai cat - rather eat my shoe sole Big Grin

you havent lived ;-)

Princess_I
Posts 2454

30/10/2011 18:37:14
sarahkay686 wrote:
Princess_I wrote:

they only smell bad early evening when the elephant's foot left over from the night before is put on the spindle and begin to heats up. on a nice breezy summer's evening the waft from the van can be overpowering

later on at night when the foot has been cooking for a while, it does smell better and goes all crispy around the edges

Nope it's vile all the time!!!

am with Dubai cat - rather eat my shoe sole Big Grin

DubaiCat
Posts 9925

30/10/2011 18:30:30
Princess_I wrote:

Nope, I'd rather chew the sole of my foot after a night out dancing.

Now, a fresh chicken kebab with a bit of salad and some chips - yes please!

sarahkay686
Posts 447

30/10/2011 18:26:39
Princess_I wrote:

egg
Posts 1509

30/10/2011 16:44:26
DubaiCat wrote:
If he does, you might want to slap him Big Grin.

Ha ha its that "infamous: everyone knows where it it Lol

dibdab
Posts 520

30/10/2011 14:34:20
Princess_I wrote:

I haven't either! My husband loves them but I really think they smell horrendous. Having said that I am by no means a health freak, I very much miss scoffing a pizza or a chicken kebab after a night out! The only option we have these days is to stop by the Fish & Chip Room on the way home for fish, chips and baked beans, mmmmmm.

Princess_I
Posts 2454

30/10/2011 14:28:43

louisedvs
Posts 4318

30/10/2011 14:28:37
Donner, chips and salad mmmmnn whenever i go home i always order it from the chippy :-)

DubaiCat
Posts 9925

30/10/2011 14:26:18
If he does, you might want to slap him Big Grin.

sarahkay686
Posts 447

30/10/2011 14:01:01
thanks for the tip on the chicken kebabish

when DH gets in from work, I will ask if he knows where the York Hotel is

egg
Posts 1509

30/10/2011 07:02:00
Plenty of vans around Manchester serving the finest Kebabs after a night out yum how i miss kebabs if you are in Manchester and looking for a super decent kebab try TopKapi on Deansgate my mouth is watering thinking about it

We also tried the one in Discovery Gardens it was ok.

For chiken kebabs the best place is by the york hotel on the corner near Burjuman it looks rough and ready and is always full of workers etc, but its the best chicken kebab i have had always have one after a night out in that area

sarahkay686
Posts 447

30/10/2011 00:30:56
myriambill wrote:
There's one kebab shop in discovery gardens which makes the doner kebabs

http://www.tks.ae/about-us.html

we tried it...not bad, not bad at all!!!
:-)

slight suspicion that the meat was mutton rather than lamb. but the strong meat flavour was nicely countered by lashings of chilli sauce
edited by sarahkay686 on 30/10/2011

Clairehdp
Posts 15263

29/10/2011 00:06:21
tally-ho wrote:
Clairehdp wrote:
I'm in blighty missing the shwarmas! So you just can't win. We do have a great kebab shop though who deliver but I'm missing my eat and drink shwarmas!

Claire, I will take you to the best shwarma place London you will be in 7th heaven when you try them they're amazing

I love the sound of that tally ho xx

tally-ho
Posts 908

28/10/2011 21:27:19
Clairehdp wrote:
IAMVP wrote:
sarahkay686 wrote:
soooo nice after a night out

SK x

Street Van? what is that? Like an ice cream van? Which kind of area did you come from?
I have property in the UK and have never seen anything like that.

Seriously you've never seen one! We have one that parks in a lay-by in the country and he's oooooo busy.

I've never seen a shwarma van either

tally-ho
Posts 908

28/10/2011 21:25:57
Clairehdp wrote:
I'm in blighty missing the shwarmas! So you just can't win. We do have a great kebab shop though who deliver but I'm missing my eat and drink shwarmas!

Claire, I will take you to the best shwarma place London you will be in 7th heaven when you try them they're amazing

Clairehdp
Posts 15263

28/10/2011 19:46:40
IAMVP wrote:
sarahkay686 wrote:

SK x

Street Van? what is that? Like an ice cream van? Which kind of area did you come from?

Seriously you've never seen one! We have one that parks in a lay-by in the country and he's oooooo busy.

Clairehdp
Posts 15263

28/10/2011 19:45:01

spongemonkey
Posts 21079

28/10/2011 19:18:56
stella128 wrote:
I second you there spongemonkey. I remember many a night coming home from Dundee Uni Union and stopping at the 24 hour bakery for pies, bacon and egg rolls and milk. Couldn't even tell you where it is now or if it is still open. The best cure all for a night out

The one we used to go to was on Prince Street/ Albert Street on the way up to Baxter Park area. Big Grin

sarahkay686
Posts 447

28/10/2011 12:55:02
myriambill wrote:
There's one kebab shop in discovery gardens which makes the doner kebabs

http://www.tks.ae/about-us.html

thanks for this

we're going to try tonight. 4 lamb doners and I'll have mine in a fluffy naan

sarahkay686
Posts 447

28/10/2011 12:54:01
IAMVP wrote:
sarahkay686 wrote:

SK x

Ewww!

Although in your defence during a family holiday in Cornwall a few years ago, DH was asking some locals whether there was a kebab van anywhere nearby - and they all seemed confused

stella128
Posts 78

28/10/2011 11:37:32
I second you there spongemonkey. I remember many a night coming home from Dundee Uni Union and stopping at the 24 hour bakery for pies, bacon and egg rolls and milk. Couldn't even tell you where it is now or if it is still open. The best cure all for a night out

bbcb
Posts 416

28/10/2011 11:23:52
ogie wagons .................

oooohhhhh !!!! i miss ogie wagons !!!!

Mr Smiths on a Friday night and a doner kebab with chilli sauce .....................................

spongemonkey
Posts 21079

28/10/2011 08:20:45
We used to go straight into the bakery to get fresh made pies in Dundee early in the morning! Stick Out Tongue Those were the days - all that bad eating and drinking and weighed 7 and a half stone!

GirlAnachronism
Posts 1422

28/10/2011 08:15:06
Ick at doner! No matter how late a night it was I could never get myself to like it

Now a chip naan with vinegar and ketchup on the other hand - eaten at 3am on a park bench in the freezing cold....pure food heaven!

spongemonkey
Posts 21079

28/10/2011 08:14:55
I suppose it is all about inverse cultural adaptation! eg in the UK I know of a "Falafel Van" that sits outside an area with a Next, Halfords , etc - one of those out of town shopping areas. Big Grin

IAMVP
Posts 855

28/10/2011 08:13:23
spongemonkey wrote:
IAMVP wrote:
sarahkay686 wrote:

SK x

Haha - they are outside clubs etc... Stick Out Tongue

Oh really?
And she moved here? and is looking for one?

really mortified here.

spongemonkey
Posts 21079

28/10/2011 08:11:21
IAMVP wrote:
sarahkay686 wrote:

SK x

Haha - they are outside clubs etc... Stick Out Tongue

Have never had a UK one and never would..my kids are horrified at the price of them in the UK compared to here, never mind the taste.

IAMVP
Posts 855

28/10/2011 07:41:00
sarahkay686 wrote:

SK x

Pages: 1 2

2 Users Currently Online

Abu Dhabi Dubai Bahrain Kuwait Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Azerbaijan Singapore Hong Kong Vietnam Site Map

© 2001 - , ExpatWoman.com. All Rights Reserved.