A parent's guide to help you make the most important decision for your child.
4 March 2018| Last updated on 4 March 2018
Clarion School in Dubai provides a guideline for all parents, helping them make the right decision when it comes to choosing a school for their kids. Read on below to find how parents can take this crucial decision based on some important questions.
1. How ready is the school for the future?
- Is the school igniting your child's curiosity?
- Are children learning how to learn?
- Is meaningful learning happening?
- Does the school believe there may be no right answer or many answers?
2. How skilled are the teachers?
- What are the qualifications of your child’s teacher?
- What is the quality and consistency of the teacher’s professional development?
- Are the teachers able to challenge the students to think differently and take ownership of their learning?
- Are the teachers able to support the students to adapt to uncertainty and change?
3. Does learning happen outside the classroom?
- Is there an understanding that learning should also happen outside of the classroom?
- How is Dubai used as a laboratory for learning?
- How are field trips integrated as part of the learning process?
- Is recess valued as part of the learning process?
4. Does learning happen beyond the textbook?
- What are the sources of information and learning for the child other than the textbook?
- How much experiential learning takes place during the school day?
- Are experts in the field brought in to share their experiences with the children?
- Are there opportunities for children to voice their own opinions?
5. Is the learning environment conducive to breaking intellectual boundaries?
- How safe is it for your child to be an intellectual risk taker?
- Is your child encouraged to think outside the box?
- Is your child encouraged to formulate their own opinions?
- Is your child respected as an individual?
6. How is technology used in the school?
- How is screen time addressed at the school?
- Does technology overwhelm the classroom?
- Is technology taught as a means in itself or a means to an end?
- How does technology support learning outcomes at the school?
7. What does the learning environment feel like?
- Are children happy?
- Is it warm and friendly?
- Is the school oversized or just the right size for your child?
- Do you see children playing in groups and having discussions?
8. How are children assessed?
- How is progress measured?
- What forms of assessment are used to reflect learning?
- How are assessments used to inform the teaching and learning environment?
- How are children assessed before entry into the school?
9. How does the school engage parents?
- Is there a parent association in the school?
- How does the school communicate consistent with parents?
- How do parents share their ideas with the school?
- Are there learning events for Parents at school?
10. What is the value system in the school?
- How are values such as kindness, gratitude and giving back practiced at school?
- Are children encouraged to help others?
- How is social justice practiced in school?
- What is the vision and mission of the school?