Here are 15 amazing facts about the city that you call home
22 October 2018| Last updated on 22 October 2018
For those of us who are lucky to call Dubai their home, here are 15 interesting facts to know about this amazing city
Dubai may not be the UAE’s capital city, but it still receives just as much worldwide recognition for being one out of seven marvellous cities in the UAE.
From man-made islands, huge skyscrapers, indoor snow parks and more, Dubai will never seize to amaze those who are lucky enough to call this city their home.
And for those who don’t live here, it’s just a matter of time before they fall in love and decide to make the international or local move to the UAE’s beloved metropolitan city.
This probably explains why Dubai is so popular among foreigners, as it was voted to have the highest expat population in the world – 83% of the population that live in the city are foreign-based.
Not to mention, residents just love the ease that comes with living here – taxis all around, 24/7 delivery, easy public transportation, endless dining options and more!
So here are 15 amazing facts that may be the reason behind why lots of expats are proud to call Dubai their home.
- 1. The Palm Jumeirah took 10.5 million dump trucks of sand to create it
- 2. The Burj Khalifa is so tall that residents who live there have to wait 2 minutes longer for the sun to set when breaking their fast during Ramadan
- 3. There were only 13 registered cars in 1968 and today there are 154,000 times more cars
- 4. Robot jockeys are used in camel races instead of human jockeys
- 5. The inside of the Burj Al Arab is covered with 1,790 square metres of 24-carat gold leaves – enough to cover the Mona Lisa painting 46,265 times over
- 6. The Dubai Metro is the world’s longest driverless metro network
- 7. One out of every four cranes in the world is located in Dubai
- 8. As of 2018, 83% of Dubai’s population is expat based
- 9. The Burj Khalifa can be seen from 95 KM away – those south of Bahrain can actually see it
- 10. Dubai is home to the world's largest flower garden and light garden
- 11. Dubai has an ATM machine just for gold
- 12. Dubai has air-conditioned bus stops for public transportation
- 13. Home to the world’s largest choreographed dancing fountain
- 14. The Expo 2020 is being held in Dubai
- 15. Dubai Police have extravagant cars - Lamborghinis, Ferraris and Bentleys