To discover what options are available, we spoke to Dr Allen Rezai, Senior Consultant Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon and Founder of Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group of Dubai Healthcare City.
Dr Rezai explains that “Eye rejuvenation treatments refer to a group of techniques designed to rejuvenate the appearance of the eye and eyelid area. There are surgical and various non-surgical options to choose from. Eyelid surgery, aka Eye Bag Removal or Blepharoplasty, can remove excess skin from the upper eyelids, and it can reduce fat pads under the eyes. It is one of the most popular cosmetic surgical procedures because it is a relatively minor operation that offers dramatic changes to a patient’s appearance. On the other hand for individuals who are not yet ready or do not have the indications for surgery, Injectable fillers may be used to reduce the hollow appearance or dark circles beneath the lower eyelids, while BOTOX and DYSPORT can minimise wrinkles at the corners of the eyes, called crow’s feet. Radio Frequency and MesoNatural Therapy are other non-invasive procedures which have proven to be beneficial for the rejuvenation of the eye area.”
Eye Rejuvenation Treatments aim to:
Restore skin’s natural volume and fullness
Diminish dark under eye circles, bags and puffiness
Reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes
Restore suppleness and vitality of thin, delicate skin around the eyes
Result in a bright-eyed, rested look
To help you understand what is available, here is a list of Popular Eye Rejuvenation Treatments offered at Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group:
Blepharoplasty / Eyelid Surgery
As we age, our skin naturally loses some of its elasticity. This can cause a build-up of loose skin around the eyelids that, in the upper lid, can fold over, producing a hooded effect. In the lower lid the effect may be deepening furrows or creases. Advancing years also result in a weakening of the muscles in our face, including around the eyes. This can encourage the fat that naturally sits around the eye, protecting and cushioning it, to protrude through the weak muscle, producing even larger eye-bags.
The main benefit of blepharoplasty is a reduction of these eye-bags. This in itself will immediately improve a person's appearance by removing the constantly tired look that they will formerly have had. Also if vision was affected by drooping, puffy eyelids, then following surgery this will also no longer be a problem and the eyelids will be firmer and tighter. Wrinkles will also be noticeably reduced. The overall effect is that a person's eyes will look brighter and clearer and, combined with trimmer eyelids, will result in a more youthful rejuvenated appearance. Blepharoplasty patients look fresher and brighter where once they looked tired and stressed.
Result: Eyelid Surgery is typically long lasting and for the large majority of patients, the results of blepharoplasty are permanent. Of course, the younger a patient undergoes surgery, the more likely that further eye-bags may develop over time. However as long as the patient has set realistic expectations about the outcome of the operation, then they are very likely to be highly satisfied with the results for many years to come.
Dermal Fillers can be used to treat Tear Troughs, an area situated between the lower eyelid and upper cheek. As we age this area changes in appearance becoming longer, deeper and more shadowed. This is a normal part of the ageing process but gives the impression of being tired and less youthful looking. However, eye hollows can also develop from a young age, being caused by a multitude of factors including genetic makeup, lack of sleep, stress and poor diet. A tear trough treatment involves injection of Hyaluronic Acid fillers such as Restylane above the eye socket bone. This filler is then massaged into the fatty tissues underneath the eye, filling in this depression from inside the skin. By the subtle and gradual use of filler, dramatic improvements can be produced, resulting in a naturally rejuvenated look to what was previously a tired and ageing face.
Result: Depending on the depth of the tear though, a gradual treatment is recommended. Often, only 1ml of Restylane is needed, with 0.5ml or less injected underneath each eye. Some patients undergo a second treatment 6-9 months after the first. A third treatment several months later may also be recommended to achieve the desired effect. The results are visible instantly, and usually last anywhere from 6-9 months and sometimes years depending on how fast the filler is resorbed by the body.
Botox / Dysport Injection
Botox and Dysport injections can effectively treat Crow’s Feet, which are small wrinkles that originate at the corner of the eye. As the name implies, they often look like a crow’s foot, little diagonal lines radiating from the eye like the toes of a bird. The reason Crow’s-feet form is due to collagen and elastic fiber changes caused by smiling. Smiling tightens the orbital muscle, which shortens the length of the muscle relative to the skin. These wrinkles are often the first noticeable wrinkles to appear on the face and they deepen and become more noticeable with time.
Botox and Dysport injections in the orbital muscle cause it to temporarily relax and reduce the tension in the area thus improving or eliminating crow’s feet.
Result: The effects of Botox and Dysport injections wear off naturally over time. Results of the treatment will typically become visible within 4 to 7 days, however it can take up to two weeks to obtain the optimum result. Also, depending on a person's lifestyle and how their orbital muscle reacts to the treatment, the effects of treatment may last from 3 to 6 months and the treatment should not be repeated more than two or a maximum of three times per year. You should allow for your muscles to gain full movement before repeating the treatment.
Exilis Elite RF Sculpting & Rejuvenation
The Exilis Elite RF & Ultrasound is used to rejuvenate the eyes without surgery or downtime. You can smooth and tighten skin and decrease wrinkles, eye bags and hooding in the eye area by stimulating your body's natural renewal of collagen. This can provide you with tighter, smoother skin, softened wrinkles and lines, and an overall younger looking appearance. Remarkably, it improves deep blood circulation to give your skin the natural glow and rejuvenates deep skin tissues to restore the bright, youthful shine of clear skin.
Result: RF & Ultrasound treatment is not a single-session treatment and the number and length of each session will depend upon the individual characteristics, aesthetic concerns and goals of each patient. But typically a course four sessions, will improve the appearance of eye bags by reducing the fat and tightening the skin through collagen remodeling. Maintenance sessions can also be carried out as and when needed.
MesoNatural Eye Therapy
Since introducing MesoNatural Therapy for Face and Eyes, it has become one of the most sought after treatments by patients.
This Completely Natural Rejuvenation and Repair Treatment, helps remove dead skin, pigmentation, and imperfections from the outer layer of the skin. As it erases fine lines from around the eyes, age spots, pigmentation and uneven skin tone, it boosts collagen production, leading to tighter, firmer and a more radiant skin. The intensity of the treatment is adjusted to the severity of the condition treated.
Results: MesoNatural Eye Therapy can be had either as a single treatment session as an excellent pick-me-up for any skin experiencing fatigue or environmental aggression, or as a course of treatment sessions, to ensure optimum results and to achieve the desired goal for a specific condition. The results of MesoNatural Eye Therapy are long lasting however, once the desired result has been reached, it is important to maintain collagen stimulation by returning for maintenance session every 6-12 months. Longevity of results will also depend on the extent of pre-treatment collagen deficit in the tissue and of course lifestyle factors such as smoking, poor diet and sun exposure.
Rejuvenating the area around the Eyes can be a challenging task. In order to achieve Optimum Results you must identify the problems and address those conditions with a specific technique or a bespoke combination of techniques.
The following are the 5 most common conditions which patients seek to treat at Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group:
1. Crow’s Feet: Lines and wrinkles on the corner of the eyes, is a problem caused by the orbital muscle action below the surface. Best treatment would be to relax the orbital muscle with Botox or Dysport injections. MesoNatural Therapy and Exilis Elite RF treatments are also effective in improving the appearance of Crow’s feet but not as effective when combined with Botox / Dysport injections.
2. Deep Tear Troughs: These results from volume loss in the area between the lower eyelid and upper cheek. This creates a hollow that is perceived as a dark circle below the eye. It also creates a division between the lower eyelid and cheek that is an early sign of ageing around the eyes making the person look chronically tired. This problem can be addressed by replacing the volume loss. Previously surgery was the only option but nowadays an excellent and simple remedy is hyaluronic acid dermal fillers like Restylane.
3. Dark Circles Under the Eyes: This can be from the shadowing of the deep tear troughs mentioned above or it can be from Excess Pigment or Vascularity (small blood vessels) or even blue reticular veins. If caused by the latter 3, an effective treatment would be Pigment Treatment with the MesoNatural Therapy alone or in combination with Exilis Elite RF Eye Treatment.
4. Loose or Crepe’ Skin Around the Eyes: This condition can be corrected by tightening the skin by adding collagen and elastin to the dermis. This can be accomplished in a couple of effective ways. Exilis Elite RF Eye Treatment alone or in combination with MesoNatural Eye Therapy and/or Laser Treatment is very effective at remedying loose or crepe skin.
5. Excess Fat below the Eyes: As we age, weakening of the eye muscles can encourage the fat that naturally sits around the eye, protecting and cushioning it, to protrude through the weak muscle, producing eye-bags. This fat can show as an unsightly bulge below the eye making you look chronically tired. Various treatments can be effective depending on the extent of the eye bag. In mild to moderate cases, RF & Ultrasound Eye Treatment can be an effective solution, however in severe cases the best way to treat this is to remove this excess fat with Eyelid Surgery.
6. Excess Skin or droopy Lids: Again depending on the severity of the condition Laser/RF Eye Treatment with/without MesoNatural Eye Therapy can be used in mild to moderate cases, however the results will NOT be permanent and maintenance treatment sessions are required. Eyelid Surgery would be the most effective and a permanent solution in removing the excess and unwanted skin.
A Bespoke Approach to Eye Rejuvenation Treatments
Eye Rejuvenation Treatments, surgical as well as non-surgical, can be performed separately or in combination to enhance their effectiveness and to achieve an overall youthful, vibrant look. In general, surgical results will always be more extensive and last longer than non-surgical ones. However, minimally invasive procedures cost less, require little to no downtime and prove to be very effective if chosen correctly.
The best way to determine the Right Combination of Eye Rejuvenation Treatment that can help you achieve the look you want while protecting your delicate Eye Area, is to come in for a personal and thorough consultation. The highly experienced team at Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group will work with you to create a bespoke treatment plan to meet your aesthetic goals in the best way possible.
Your eyes express a lot about who you are, the decision to undergo any Eye Rejuvenation Treatment should not be taken lightly and it is important that you are aware of all implications involved and have a realistic expectation of what can and cannot be achieved, prior to making any decision.
For more information or to book a Consultation call +971 4 431 2396.
You might also be interested in...