Suffer from excessive sweat while living in Dubai? We've found the answer you've been looking for
18 April 2018| Last updated on 20 October 2019
Botox is a brilliant thing. While it's primarily recognised for its ability to banish wrinkles, there's so much more that a Botox injection can do. It has several medical benefits; one of which is to help treat excessive sweat and hyperhidrosis.
Living in Dubai, it comes as no surprise that sweating is a common occurrence for expats who are not accustomed to the high temperatures and humidity. Especially during the summer months when temperatures can reach above 50 degrees Celsius - it's not unusual to feel damp under you armpits or elsewhere.
I myself am one of those unfortunate souls living in Dubai who has to face the daily battle of 'what clothes to wear' that won't show my sweat patches.
Sure, the high temperatures here can be blamed to an extent. However, I've always struggled with keeping dry under there. It could be freezing cold outside in the UK, and I would always be the one with rosy-red cheeks and sweat marks on my t-shirt while sat in a restaurant.
Of course, when the opportunity to have Botox under my armpits to treat excessive sweat arose at Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group, I jumped at the chance.
How Botox helps stop excessive sweating
Botox - or Dysport - is a neurotoxin that helps prevent your nerves from firing to your muscles, and causes temporary paralysis of said muscles. It blocks the uptake of acetylcholine, which is one of the neurotransmitters that tells your muscles to contract.
When injected into your underarms, the treatment essentially freezes your glands. The Botox intercepts the message telling the glands to secrete sweat.
Of course, it's worth pointing out; Botox is a localised treatment, and by stopping sweat in your underarms does not affect other areas of your body. After all, sweating is an essential bodily function that helps you to remain cool and not overheat.
If you yourself are quite like me, then I highly recommend having Botox for excessive sweating in Dubai, and here's why...
1. It's virtually pain-free
The thought of needles in your very sensitive armpit area can be quite cringe-worthy for some. Myself included, but I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that the entire treatment was extremely comfortable. I can't vouch for other areas treated with the injections, but after the great team at Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group numbed the area, I literally felt nothing.
The lack of pain was probably largely owed to the fact that Dr. Allen Rezai is super gentle and supportive throughout the entire treatment. Plus, I am told I have a high pain threshold however, but I'm confident even for those of you who are little extra sensitive, the treatment - which lasts no longer than 20 to 30 minutes - will still be just as comfortable.
You might also be interested in...
- 5 Things to Know About Botox for Axillary Hyperhidrosis
- Meet the Doctors at Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group
- The Secret Behind Achieving a Natural Look
- Treat Skin Laxity and Poor Skin Texture with PROFHILO
- 5 Things What You Should Know About Breast Implants
- Create Proportion HA Buttock Enhancement Injections
- 5 Things You Should Know When Considering Ear Surgery
- Breast Augmentation Q & A with Dr Allen Rezai
- 5 Things You Should Know When Considering Lip Fillers
- 5 Things You Should Know About Size, Shape & Profile of Breast Implants
2. It lasts 3 to 6 months, sometimes longer
As I mentioned - it gets HOT in Dubai during the summer, right? And more often than not, we're left dreading social activities and outings because of the risk of sweat patches and discolouring on our clothing. By having Botox in your armpit, you'll be left with peace of mind that you'll keep dry throughout the summer... Even in 50+ degrees!
Of course, as with all Botox injections, it's not permanent; top-up treatments are recommended to prolong the effects. Following my first experience though, I'd be more than happy to return every 6 months to help keep my armpits lovely and dry all day and night long!
You might also be interested in...
- 5 Things You Should Know Before Getting Eyelid Surgery
- Natural Looking Lips with Dr Allen Rezai
- Tuberous Breast Correction – Q&A with Dr Allen Rezai
- 5 Things You Should Know Before Getting a Skin Peel
- 5 Things to Know Before Getting Breast Reduction Surgery
- 5 Things You Should Know Before Getting Cosmetic Surgery
- The Choice of Breast Reconstruction and FAQ with Dr Allen Rezai
- Review: ZO Facials in Dubai
- Review: Vampire Facial
3. It actually works!
I can't stress enough how happy I am with the results following my first treatment at Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group; optimal results are achieved around 2 weeks post-treatment. I'm only a few days away from that mark, but I'm already experiencing incredible results.
So much so, that while entertaining a recent visitor and providing tours around tourist hot-spots - including a desert safari! - I was pleasantly surprised that my arms remained dry at all times.
They even survived a Friday brunch sat outside in the heat...
4. It's great for people with hyperhydrosis
The main driving force behind having the treatment for me personally was the thought of being able to wear clothes comfortably without being embarrassed. Purely cosmetic, let's say. But for individuals who do in fact suffer from extreme excessive sweating, a.k.a. hyperhydrosis, Botox can be injected elsewhere to help combat your condition.
On the palms of your hands, soles of your feet, the scalp and your underarms are all areas that can have Botox injections to help drastically reduce or eliminate sweating in these areas.
You might also be interested in...
- Want to reverse effects of Fillers? Read This Article…
- Have You Heard Of Gynecomastia Surgery?
- Rhinoplasty Q & A with Dr Allen Rezai
- What is Chin Implant Surgery?
- Dr Riccardo Frati at Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group
- PRP Therapy – The Preferred Treatment
- How to Prepare for Laser Hair Removal
- Expat Woman Review of The Perfect Peel
- A Bespoke approach to Eye Rejuvenation
- Laser Hair Removal – Read & Watch Tory’s Experience
5. It helps to reduce odor
Would you believe me if I said there's been days where I've not had to wear any deodorant whatsoever? While results vary from patient to patient, I've found that my underarms have been considerably less smelly. Which, of course, is great!
Botox for excessive sweating in the underarms: my verdict
I highly recommend! Especially in Dubai, where many of us are defeated by the heat and left red-faced at rings beneath our underarms. The great thing about this treatment is that there's virtually no risk at repeated treatments - so you can top-up your underarms once or twice a year without issue!
Plus, my friend is holding a summer wedding this June, and I'm very much looking forward to keeping dry throughout the entire day and night!
If you're considering having the treatment done yourself, I highly recommend a visit to Dr. Allen Rezai and the team at Elite Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery Group. Make sure to hit the 'click to contact' button below to enquire about prices and book a consultation!
Review by Rebecca Roberts