In the holy month of Ramadan, it is of utmost importance that you take care and maintain your oral hygiene. If you are fasting, you might suffer from bad breath or dry mouth problems. You can avoid these oral health issues if you incorporate the below tips in your daily routine.
Dietary and Water Intake
During Suhoor & Iftaar –
• Multiply the consumption of water, fresh juices and soups
• Cut down on caffeine intake (coffee, tea and all other caffeinated drinks) due to their diuretic effect further leading to dehydration
• Avoid spicy and salt consumption in foods
• Eat fruits and vegetables as they are rich in fiber. Keep your meals nutritious and healthy by grilling, steaming or baking and using cooking oil such as canola or rice bran.
• Sticky foods – Avoid sticky foods such as chocolates and cheese as they might get lodged between teeth
• Fish & milk consumption – Always brush after consumption of fish and milk as they contain specific proteins leading to bad breath
Oral Hygiene Practices
• Brushing: Always follow the practice of brushing twice in a day, even during Ramadan. The first thing is to brush your teeth after suhoor and the second time is just before sleeping.
• Mouthwashes – Use a mouthwash to gargle during non-fasting hours as advised by your dentist to avoid any gum diseases and infections
• Floss – It is always good to floss your teeth to clean up food lodging between your teeth
• Tongue Scraper: Use a tongue scraper to clean the white residue coat on your tongue which is the most common cause of bad breath
• Dentures: If you are using dentures, keep them in antiseptic solution to cleanse them.
You might also be interested in...
During the Ramadan period, you should refrain from smoking during the day, this is considered the best time to quit smoking habits.
It is also important to note that any dental treatments performed during Ramadan do not invalidate or nullify the fasting during Ramadan. It is permissible to do dental procedures and preventive treatments such as scaling, cleaning, restorations etc.
This month is considered the time to give and share and in this occasion, Dr Joy Dental Clinics is offering a FREE Scaling, Cleaning and Polishing with every Zoom Whitening procedure. We are also offering an exclusive 10% discount on orthodontics, dental implants and smile makeover treatments.