These skincare tips from a Mediclinic dermatologist will help transform your skin
29 June 2022| Last updated on 30 June 2022
Choose the right products and routine for your skin type with this quick guide.
Waking up to beautiful skin can be achieved in a few key steps, according to Dr. Selma Alhabib, Specialist Dermatologist for Mediclinic Dubai Mall and Mediclinic Al Sufouh.
In this article, we share some of her important skin care tips for all skin types.
Before starting a skin care routine you need to know:
- What type of skin you have: normal, dry, oily, combination, or sensitive.
- Skin care routines are personalised to each person and there’s no specific routine that suits all.
- If you have major concerns about your skin you need to consult a dermatologist.
Skin care tips for all skin types:
According to Dr. Selma, consider the following:
- Use sun block SPF 30-50 (UVB - UVA rays).
- Avoid direct sunlight and wear sunglasses and hat.
- Quit smoking.
- Stay hydrated (and moisturise).
- Wash face daily with gentle soap.
- Avoid applying make-up directly after showering (wait at least one hour) as skin pores are still open.
- Always remove make up before sleeping.
Basic steps for a morning skin care routine:
- Applying sun block (SPF 30-50)
Sun block can be chemical or physical (or mineral) – containing zinc oxide or titanium oxide.
Basic steps for a night time skin care routine:
- Wash off the make-up first (cleanse) then use toner after to remove extra dirt (double-cleanse).
- Apply serum.
- Use night cream- preferably containing retinol
If you have oily skin or are acne-prone, use oil-free cream or serum and seek advice from dermatologist, recommends Dr. Selma.
What are the 'Do's' and 'Don'ts' to follow when starting a skin care routine?
The basic care and maintenance of your largest organ (skin) plays a very important role of protecting you from outside pathogens and protecting your internal organs. In the same way that you regularly brush your teeth, your skin also requires the same regular attention to keep it functioning properly and protecting you, especially from skin cancer.
- To improve the look and the function of the skin.
- To address and manage both cosmetic and medical concerns.
- With skin care you can reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, elasticity (sagging skin), dark spots and skin damage.
What are some tips to keep your skin looking young?
- Sunscreen is the most import product for anti-aging, use sunblock both indoors and outdoors.
- Include some of these products that help with fine lines and wrinkles: retinol, collagen and vitamin C, you can use anti-aging products from the age of 25.
- Quit smoking.
- Reduce exposure to pollution, stress.
- Eat healthy food.
- Get enough sleep (7-9 hours)
- If you have any medical concerns like pigmentation or dark spots you must consult a dermatologist.
What skin care products should you use for oily skin?
When the oil on the skin is the right amount, it protects our skin from external toxic elements, but having too much of it makes our skin shiny, says Dr. Selma. "It can clog our skin pores and cause breakouts."
Skin products for oily skin are: (any brand)
- Oil-free wash or exfoliating wash (2 times daily)
- Facial scrub or facial mask (twice a week)
- Sunblock in the daytime (any brand) SPF-30/ SPF-50/ SPF-100 (for oily skin!) in the form of lotion, gel or spray.
- Oil control hydrating cream (any brand) or retinol cream at bedtime.
Hydrating cream can be applied at any time during the day, especially after a bath and at night.
People with oily skin need to look for products that will remove excess oil from their skin without over-drying!
What skin care products should you use for acne?
Skin products for acne-pores: (any brand)
- Oil control or antiseptic wash (2 times daily).
- Calming hydration moisturiser (any time during the day, especially after baths).
- Anti-acne gel or cream (at night, after washing the face).
For severe acne consult a specialist dermatologist since if you need systemic antibiotic treatment or isotretinoin treatment, this must be done under the doctor’s control.
What skin care products are recommended for combination skin?
- Facial wash for normal or mix skin (any brand).
- Sunblock in the morning with SPF-30 or SPF-50.
- Hydrating cream for normal or mix skin (any brand).
- Moisturising or anti-aging mask (2 times weekly).
What are the products recommended for dry skin?
- Hydrating facial cleanser (foam).
- Vitamin C serum (2 times daily) or hyaluronic acid serum.
- Moisturising cream (lipids - any time if needed).
- Oil or lipid cream (at night).
- Body lotion (especially after bath - apply all over the body).
What are the recommended products to add depending on your skin type to create the perfect skin care routine?
According to Dr. Selma, "First you must have a healthy lifestyle - this is very important!". The ideal step-by-step skin care routine is as follows:
- Wash your face (2 times daily)
- Apply toner.
- Apply serum.
- Use spot treatment (vitamin C or others).
- Hydrating you skin (moisturisers).
- Apply retinol cream.
- Apply eye cream (2 times daily).
- Apply face oil (if needed).
The most important steps of skin care are based on the principles of healthy living that includes healthy foods, regular exercise, avoiding stress, and getting good sleep. Always consultant a dermatologist before trying a new product and never try to treat any skin reaction or problem by yourself.