Find out if PCOS can cause unexplained weight gain.
11 September 2017| Last updated on 26 February 2018
High insulin levels increase the production of male hormones called androgen and increased androgen levels lead to symptoms such as body hair growth, acne, irregular periods and weight gain. Because the weight gain is triggered by male hormones, it is typically around the abdomen.
- restore ovulation
- regulates the menstrual cycle,
- improve fertility,
- improves health during pregnancy and a child health during pregnancy
- reduce risk factors for diabetes and heart disease
You might also be interested in...
- Exercise during Pregnancy, Yay or Nay?
- Know the Signs and Symptoms of Infertility
- How to Reduce the Effect of Stress on Your Fertility
The best way to lose weight with PCOS is to:
- Eat right which means a small frequent healthy diet with high fiber and protein and low sugar.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, in any form, like yoga, cardio, strength or weight training.
- Take proper sleep of 7-8 hrs a day.
- Try and keep yourself stress-free, take supplements like vitamins, minerals, antioxidants. Metformin is a medication that helps lower insulin resistance. Supplements like inositol, which is similar to a B vitamin can help lower testosterone levels as well as insulin resistance, resulting in weight loss.
- Stop smoking, and regular intake of alcohol.
- If you have BMI over 40 then take help of the surgery like gastric bypass or banding to lose weight.
By Dr. Varsha Anand