Here are five tips that will help you make sure you stay hydrated in Ramadan
9 May 2019| Last updated on 12 May 2019
Water is always the best beverage to replenish your thirst and especially during the holy month of Ramadan.
But how can we ensure that we consume an adequate amount of water once we break our fast?
Firstly, here’s why drinking water is very important… Water makes up 60-70% of our bodies! And any reduction in our water intake can affect our bodies' cells and nerves.
In fact, dehydration can cause undesirable side effects like constipation, headache, dizziness, fatigue and dry skin. Severe cases of dehydration can cause more serious complications, too - like kidney problems and seizures.
Therefore, making sure you drink at least eight glasses of water a day after iftar, especially if you exercise while fasting is super important.
Why is water a more preferable beverage to consume, over other popular Ramadan drinks?
- Other drinks are loaded with sugar and add extra unnecessary calories to your meal
- Sugary and fizzy drinks will fill-up the stomach and may delay the digestion process, causing the dreaded belly bloat, stomach pain and even weight gain
Tips on staying hydrated during Ramadan
To help you stay hydrated during the Holy Month and also help you control your thirst, here are some tips for you:
- Try to avoid hot and spicy dishes - they trigger thirst
- Try to limit your salt intake - less salt in salads, main dishes, and pickles because salt causes water retention
- Eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables as you can - they are rich in water and fiber, and stay in your intestines for longer, which reduces thirst
- In addition to water, opt for fresh fruit juices and avoid sweetened drinks
- Try not to drink large quantities of water all at once - instead, drink water between your meals and throughout the night
One more thing - drinking very cold water once you break your fast can cause your blood vessels to contract, which leads to indigestion.
For this reason, it is recommended that you drink water at room temperature or slightly chilled in small quantities throughout the night.
In addition to all the facts and tips above, make this Ramadan the time for positive change in your home. Install a water filtration system to have access to clean and pure drinking water and cut down on your plastic consumption to save our beloved Earth.