recent threads recent posts Search posts faq
Home » Dubai & Northern Emirates » sick leave procedure
Pages: 1 2

Beebers
Posts 2924

06/12/2012 17:28:16
louisedvs wrote:

Haha love it... Did you get your tape?

No. Been too sore to get up and go to the store. I am going to go in the morning

HereComesTheSun
Posts 589

06/12/2012 17:28:05
Legally, does the doctor's note have to be an official attested certificate or can it just literally be a 'note'?

When I've been sick in the past I've simply shown my medical receipts along with a scribble from the doctor on his prescription pad saying I should rest for 2 days. I've never had to pay anything for one of those and my company accepts it without question.

louisedvs
Posts 4319

06/12/2012 17:25:14
Beebers wrote:
louisedvs wrote:

I had this in the UK with an ex boss. I had caught chicken pox at the age of 21 from my darling Nephew and my boss wanted me to stand outside his place of work so he could see that i was telling the truth! Covered in scabs.

oh nice! Because that's such a common thing for 21 year olds--lol--how could you "fake" chicken pox?? I handed in the aforementioned sick note along with my resig notice and told this last one to get bent!

Haha love it... Did you get your tape?

Beebers
Posts 2924

06/12/2012 17:18:15
louisedvs wrote:

I had this in the UK with an ex boss. I had caught chicken pox at the age of 21 from my darling Nephew and my boss wanted me to stand outside his place of work so he could see that i was telling the truth! Covered in scabs.

oh nice! Because that's such a common thing for 21 year olds--lol--how could you "fake" chicken pox?? I handed in the aforementioned sick note along with my resig notice and told this last one to get bent!

louisedvs
Posts 4319

06/12/2012 17:09:42
Beebers wrote:
You know, the whole sick note thing is understandable, to avoid people calling in for hangovers, or on holidays--I get that. But earlier this year, I had a boss who was already angry with me for "not thinking of his business first" (how dare I come down with acute bronchitis, what was I thinking!?) but then to add insult, I go to the doctor only to find out a sick note costs 80 dhs! Why am I paying for a sick note after you have just diagnosed me with acute bronchitis and out me on two types of meds? I'm just not used to that.

Beebers
Posts 2924

06/12/2012 17:08:01
You know, the whole sick note thing is understandable, to avoid people calling in for hangovers, or on holidays--I get that. But earlier this year, I had a boss who was already angry with me for "not thinking of his business first" (how dare I come down with acute bronchitis, what was I thinking!?) but then to add insult, I go to the doctor only to find out a sick note costs 80 dhs! Why am I paying for a sick note after you have just diagnosed me with acute bronchitis and out me on two types of meds? I'm just not used to that.

ecochic
Posts 401

06/12/2012 17:02:44
Kezzler wrote:
Perhaps I didn't explain correctly. I didn't mean we can't have more than 5 sick days a year, we're allowed a lot more than that provided there's a sick note. It's not more than 5 days without a sick note (5 instances of 1 day or 2 instances of 2 days) - ie, to stop people taking the mick.

Okdokie... my bad... i got it ... well then thats good...

ecochic
Posts 401

06/12/2012 16:59:16
louisedvs wrote:
5 days a year????? and then they sack you? they are operating outside the law and if they did sack someone they could take them to court.

sadly a lot of companies do this around this region... they threaten employees and treat them like slaves.... the only reason for this, is the employees reluctance to do anything... so they take advantage... if they do, they get the boot if they don't they still get another kind of boot....

Kezzler
Posts 367

06/12/2012 16:58:05
ecochic wrote:
Kezzler wrote:
You're lucky your company allow you to take 11 separate instances of leave in such a short space of time. Our company rules allow for 2 days sick without a doctors note, but this is on condition that such occurrences don't exceed more than 5 days a year, otherwise, the chop. Fair enough I think, as I would be worried about the commitment of a person who feels it's ok to take so many individual days as sick, unless of course there is a medical condition that can be backed up with a doctors certificate.

I have to agree with Here comes the sun, it's not an entitlement and they probably think you are taking the yellow stuff.

not more the 5 sick days a year is shocking... some people are just prone to fall ill more then another... as long as you provide a sick note it should be fine... and as per the new ruling (2 years now) all sick leaves are issued but Dubai Health Authority so there can be no hanky panky business plus it cost 50 bucks to get this....

Perhaps I didn't explain correctly. I didn't mean we can't have more than 5 sick days a year, we're allowed a lot more than that provided there's a sick note. It's not more than 5 days without a sick note (5 instances of 1 day or 2 instances of 2 days) - ie, to stop people taking the mick.

Marroosh
Posts 3989

06/12/2012 16:56:33
louisedvs wrote:
ecochic wrote:
Kezzler wrote:
You're lucky your company allow you to take 11 separate instances of leave in such a short space of time. Our company rules allow for 2 days sick without a doctors note, but this is on condition that such occurrences don't exceed more than 5 days a year, otherwise, the chop. Fair enough I think, as I would be worried about the commitment of a person who feels it's ok to take so many individual days as sick, unless of course there is a medical condition that can be backed up with a doctors certificate.

I have to agree with Here comes the sun, it's not an entitlement and they probably think you are taking the yellow stuff.

not more the 5 sick days a year is shocking... some people are just prone to fall ill more then another... as long as you provide a sick note it should be fine... and as per the new ruling (2 years now) all sick leaves are issued but Dubai Health Authority so there can be no hanky panky business plus it cost 50 bucks to get this....

5 days a year????? and then they sack you? they are operating outside the law and if they did sack someone they could take them to court.

I think you misunderstood the post. They will allow 5 days a year 2 day sick leave without asking for a doctor's note. That is quite lenient and I suppose they have implemented the rule after people have taken advantage of it. It didn't say you can only have 5 sick days a year.
edited by Marroosh on 06/12/2012

louisedvs
Posts 4319

06/12/2012 16:56:33
HereComesTheSun wrote:
louisedvs wrote:
ecochic wrote:
Kezzler wrote:

She's saying they allow 5 days a year WITHOUT a doctor's certificate. After that they require proof, and if you don't provide you're in trouble. Seems fair enough.

I need to go to specsavers lol

HereComesTheSun
Posts 589

06/12/2012 16:55:17
louisedvs wrote:
ecochic wrote:
Kezzler wrote:

She's saying they allow 5 days a year WITHOUT a doctor's certificate. After that they require proof, and if you don't provide you're in trouble. Seems fair enough.

louisedvs
Posts 4319

06/12/2012 16:53:28
ecochic wrote:
Kezzler wrote:

ecochic
Posts 401

06/12/2012 16:48:37
Kezzler wrote:

ecochic
Posts 401

06/12/2012 16:45:13
lovedubai wrote:
and when they deduct it they calculate also on the gross salary not on the basic?

Oops my bad... just realized you never gave them a sick leave cert so salary deduction on gross (basic, housing, travel, etc).

My last company, we could take a sick day without a doctors certificate but 2 days and above and we had to provide one.... JAFZA rule isup to 15 days full gross salary to be paid, 15 days and up to a month it would be half of gross and over a month would be leave without pay.

lovedubai
Posts 103

06/12/2012 16:36:52
The Dangerous Blonde wrote:
lovedubai I mean this in the nicest way and I'm not saying your company is right to be so strict with deductions but I would take it as a bit of a wake up call - lateness and sickness so often is not acceptable. 1hr is enough leeway to account for bad traffic / oversleeping etc - we have a guy at work whose excuse for coming in 3hrs (yes 3hrs!) late is that he lives in Sharjah!

If they don't pay on time, I would also def start looking for another job, but be prepared it is SLIM pickings out there. What line of work are you in?

i am in fmcg, sales and marketing

Kezzler
Posts 367

06/12/2012 16:35:07

lovedubai
Posts 103

06/12/2012 16:26:39
ecochic wrote:
I recently left a company within JAFZA and was the HR there so here goes the rules....

JAFZA give 15 days annual sick leave which can be taken provided you provide a doctors certificate. The15 days are paid sick leave which include Basic, Housing, Travel, etc etc. If your company is not following this, please contact local authorities.

Please check article Three, Point 3 where it clearly states the above. The doctors direction is basically a doc's certificate, Ive checked that with JAFZA in the past. Your company is in violation and BTW this copy is taken from the JAFZA site where all admin forms are put up... http://www.jafza.ae/media-files/2012/06/06/20120606_04-20120606-Employment-Contract-New.pdf

and when they deduct it they calculate also on the gross salary not on the basic?

lovedubai
Posts 103

06/12/2012 16:25:40
Nyranee wrote:
lovedubai wrote:
Nyranee wrote:
lovedubai wrote:
hey everyone,

how does it work with sick leave? I am working in JAFZA and my company has deducted all my sick days (11 single days) from my salary.

Do you need a docotor's certificate for 1 day sick leave???!!!
And on what base they calculate the deduction, only on basic salary or on gross salary (means including housing allowance, car allowance, medical etc.)?

Thanks for quick replies!

You need a certificate from the first day sickleave as previously mentioned.

Sorry to ask but have you been 11 times one day sick as this is how it sounds ... and it seems to be a lot ...

11 times one day, but they also count 1 full day when you are coming 1 hour late in the office!

As the salaries are paid much too late, we are also sometimes late in the office :-)

That's strickt rules for 1 hour deduction of a full day ... good luck with this. Legally they are absolutely allowed to deduct.

Don't overdo the sick days, I have seen people being fired for "bad attendance".

@Louise ... same thought I had... but first she might need a new job which eventually could take a bit.
edited by Nyranee on 06/12/2012

thanks.

yes, best would be a new job. so if anyone knows anything :-)

Nyranee
Posts 530

06/12/2012 16:22:08
lovedubai wrote:
Nyranee wrote:
lovedubai wrote:
hey everyone,

how does it work with sick leave? I am working in JAFZA and my company has deducted all my sick days (11 single days) from my salary.

And on what base they calculate the deduction, only on basic salary or on gross salary (means including housing allowance, car allowance, medical etc.)?

Sorry to ask but have you been 11 times one day sick as this is how it sounds ... and it seems to be a lot ...

11 times one day, but they also count 1 full day when you are coming 1 hour late in the office!

As the salaries are paid much too late, we are also sometimes late in the office :-)

That's strickt rules for 1 hour deduction of a full day ... good luck with this. Legally they are absolutely allowed to deduct.

Don't overdo the sick days, I have seen people being fired for "bad attendance".

@Louise ... same thought I had... but first she might need a new job which eventually could take a bit.
edited by Nyranee on 06/12/2012

louisedvs
Posts 4319

06/12/2012 16:19:57
lovedubai wrote:
Nyranee wrote:
lovedubai wrote:
hey everyone,

I would be handing my notice in and looking for a new job
Any company that paid me late wouldnt be employing me

lovedubai
Posts 103

06/12/2012 16:17:42
Nyranee wrote:
lovedubai wrote:
hey everyone,

Nyranee
Posts 530

06/12/2012 16:16:13
lovedubai wrote:
hey everyone,

lovedubai
Posts 103

06/12/2012 16:13:56
louisedvs wrote:
lovedubai wrote:
In that case I stand corrected - you are not on probation but that is still a lot of time off in 6 months hence why they are deducting probably. You normally have to be off for 3 days in a row before a Drs note is requested. I would speak to your HR department about this - did you have previous deductions for sick days? Have they taken the deduction of your daily rate as your basic salary or your full compensation?

they have the deduction from as my full compensation

Hello

I have just spoken with a friend who is a Senior HR bod at the FZ
You have to have a sick note from day 1, if you do not provide this they can deduct the money as it is classed as loss of pay
No more than 15 days in 1 year and no more than 7 days in 6 months
They should only deduct on your basic only

thanks a lot!!! that helped me very much :-)

ecochic
Posts 401

06/12/2012 16:13:35
I recently left a company within JAFZA and was the HR there so here goes the rules....

JAFZA give 15 days annual sick leave which can be taken provided you provide a doctors certificate. The15 days are paid sick leave which include Basic, Housing, Travel, etc etc. If your company is not following this, please contact local authorities.

Please check article Three, Point 3 where it clearly states the above. The doctors direction is basically a doc's certificate, Ive checked that with JAFZA in the past. Your company is in violation and BTW this copy is taken from the JAFZA site where all admin forms are put up... http://www.jafza.ae/media-files/2012/06/06/20120606_04-20120606-Employment-Contract-New.pdf

louisedvs
Posts 4319

06/12/2012 16:06:06
lovedubai wrote:
In that case I stand corrected - you are not on probation but that is still a lot of time off in 6 months hence why they are deducting probably. You normally have to be off for 3 days in a row before a Drs note is requested. I would speak to your HR department about this - did you have previous deductions for sick days? Have they taken the deduction of your daily rate as your basic salary or your full compensation?

Hello

I have just spoken with a friend who is a Senior HR bod at the FZ
You have to have a sick note from day 1, if you do not provide this they can deduct the money as it is classed as loss of pay
No more than 15 days in 1 year and no more than 7 days in 6 months
They should only deduct on your basic only

lovedubai
Posts 103

06/12/2012 16:03:28

HereComesTheSun
Posts 589

06/12/2012 15:58:38
lovedubai wrote:
It is 15 days with full renumeration.

It's not an entitlement though, or an allowance that you must use up whenever you feel a bit under the weather. If they're making you pay for it, then it must be in their own regulations that you need to prove you were actually sick. Your HR department are the people you should be asking.

lovedubai
Posts 103

06/12/2012 15:56:03
thanks.

but does not help on what base to calculate

louisedvs
Posts 4319

06/12/2012 15:53:48
This is the link for the Labor Law ( Not JAFZA)

http://www.gulftalent.com/repository/ext/UAE_Labour_Law.pdf

Articles 82,83,84

I know it isnt JAFZA however it may help as a guidline

Pages: 1 2

Abu Dhabi Dubai Bahrain Kuwait Oman Qatar Saudi Arabia Azerbaijan Singapore Site Map

© 2001 - , ExpatWoman.com. All Rights Reserved.