Sign in to your account
Close window
Remember me?
Sign in to your account

Austria guide for expats

Austria guide for expats

Living in Austria

The hills are alive in Austria. This small landlocked country in central Europe has played a pivotal role in Europe's history. Today it is a country filled with picturesque hills and valleys that make the quality of life enjoyable for all. If you're planning a move to Austria, we've got all the essential information to get you started with your move and planning your future in the country. 

Hallstatt Austria

Expat Clubs

American Women's Association of Vienna (AWA)
Founded in 1924 by American diplomatic and military wives, AWA continues today to bring together women from all nationalities in Vienna. They organize fundraisers, language immersion activities, book discussions, bible studies, coffee mornings and monthly events that celebrate the diversity of culture in the city.
Address: Singerstrasse 4/11, 1010 Wien, Austria
Tel: +43 1 966 29 25
Fax: +43 1 966 29 25, +43 1 966 29 15
Email: awa@awavienna.com
Website: www.awavienna.com

British Community Association of Vienna
The British Community Association organizes social events for British passport holders and their families living in Vienna, operating on a non-profit-making basis.
Email: bcavienna@gmail.com
Website: www.bca-vienna.com

International Women's Association of Graz
The IWA was established in 1994 to unite English-speaking women who live here. The aims and objectives are to offer friendship and support to those far from their home country and to promote a mutual understanding of other cultures and traditions. It is also committed to raising funds for and providing assistance to local charitable organizations.
Email: iwagraz@gmail.com
FB: www.facebook.com/groups/330232200415893/?fref=ts
Website: www.iwagraz.org

The German Way                           
These German Way pages are intended to make it easier for anyone to have a better experience in German-speaking Europe. Knowing what to expect can be a big help, and that’s what you’ll find here: information and resources for Americans and other English-speaking expats in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland.
Website: www.german-way.com/austria.html

Vienna Expats
Vienna, the city of schnitzels, mèlanges and Sacher torte is without a doubt a place filled with bustle and excitement. Whether you are a crazed snowboarder or serene opera fan, there is something for everyone. If you would like to meet people with a wide variety of interests and a love of Vienna, then welcome!
FB: www.facebook.com/ViennaExpats
Website: www.vienna-expats.net

International Schools 

American International School in Vienna
Set near the famed Vienna Woods, this school offers a conducive learning environment. Over the years they have students from 60 countries. They offer admissions from elementary, middle school up to high school. They also have a number of facilities including 70 classrooms, science labs, computer labs and art studios.

Curriculum: American
Address: Salmannsdorfer Strasse 47, A-1190 Vienna, Austria
Tel: +43 1 40132
Fax: +43 1 401325
Email: info@ais.at
Website: www.ais.at

International Christian School of Vienna
This school has small class sizes, average of 15 to 17 students. Admissions are available from primary up to Grade 12 and AP level. Graduates receive a US diploma which is globally recognized. ICVS’ student body represents over 50 nations.

Curriculum: American
Address: Wagramer Strasse 175 / Panethgasse 6a, A-1220 Wien, Austria
Tel: +43 1 25122 0
Fax: +43 1 25122 518
Email: office@icsv.at
FB: www.facebook.com/icsvschool
Website: www.icsv.at

St. Gilgen International School
The school is situated near Lake Wolfgang that offers a scenic atmosphere. Admissions include primary, middle school and International Baccalaureate diploma in the final two years. The small classes ensure that teacher attention and focus are maximized.

Curriculum: Primary, Middle School, International Baccalaureate
Address: Ischlerstrasse 13, 5340 St. Gilgen, Austria
Tel: + 43 6227 20259
Fax: + 43 6227 20259, +43 6227 20210
Email: info@)stgis.at
Website: www.stgilgen-international-school.at

Vienna International School (VIS)
VIS provides a comprehensive state-of-the-art facilities to a multi-cultural student body of more than 100 nationalities. They offer all three International Baccalaureate programs that prepares students for international education. Their low student-teacher ratio guarantees effective learning.

Address: Straße der Menschenrechte 1, 1220 Vienna, Austria
Tel: +43 1 203 5595
Fax: +43 1 203 0366
Email: visinfo@vis.ac.at
Website: www.vis.ac.at

Local News in English

Austria Times
This news website covers events, happenings and breaking news in the country including relevant international news.
Website: www.austriantimes.at

Vienna Review
An English online news site covering local news stories, events and information relevant to the city.
Website: www.viennareview.net

Austrian Independent
This is a daily online news service that keeps you up to date with general news, business, sports, finance, culture and lifestyle stories.
Website: austrianindependent.com

Country Information 

Location: Europe
Capital City: Vienna
Other Important Cities: Salzburg
Currency: Euro €
Language: German
Calling Code: +43
Internet TLD: .at

Electricity: Austria runs on 220V 50Hz, bring an appropriate adapter. The largest electricity provider in Vienna is Verbund. 90% of Verbund’s electricity is harnessed from hydro power and their coverage around 40% of the country.
Address:  Am Hof 6a, 1010 Vienna, Austria
Tel: 0800 210 210
Email: info@verbund.at
Website: www.verbund.com/cc/en

Emergency Numbers: 
Ambulance: 144
Fire: 122
Police: 133

Country Information

Things to do

Country Study

Embassy Information


Residents Visa and Work Permit information

EU citizens may enter and work in Austria visa-free. For Non-EU citizens, Schengen visa and residency restrictions apply and must be arranged prior in the Austrian Embassy / Consulate in your home or host country. The most common visa applied to is class C, which is a tourist visa. This allows the bearer 3 months stay within the country. Exclusively for Austria, Class D visa allows the bearer up to 6 months.
A stay permit is required to work or study in Austria. A residence permit on the other hand is needed to settle in Austria. There are different types of residence permits and they are listed on the Austrian Government Website 

The following documents must be submitted when applying for a residence visa in Austria:
1) application form (see above I and VIII) - completed and signed, signature on page 1 must be within the box and not touching the frame (application forms are available only in German; application forms pertaining to categories II) to VII) are listed on the website of the Austrian Federal Ministry of the Interior)
2) fee (must be paid partly at the time of application and partly at the time of pick up in Austria)
3) valid and signed passport (passport must be valid for at least three months beyond date of return and must have a blank page to affix the residence permit)
4) one set of copies of all relevant pages of present and previous passports
5) two recent passport pictures, front view (see Photo Guidelines)
6) original or notarized copy of Birth Certificate attested with an Apostille by the competent Secretary of state
7) original criminal record issued by local police station; not older than three months; attested with an Apostille by competent Secretary of State
8) proof of health/travel/accident insurance (original letter from insurance company confirming coverage in Austria) or confirmation from spouse’s health insurance in Austria regarding entitlement to co-insurance according § 123 ASVG
9) proof of sufficient financial means (e.g. scholarship, letter of grants, bank statements with full transactions of last three months [parent's account together with notarized letter of financial support accepted for students only], other proof of income)
10) proof of lodging in Austria (e.g. lease contract, ownership papers)
11) Statement of Financial Liability (Haftungserklärung; available only in German) if stay in Austria is sponsored by someone residing in Austria (does not apply to au-pair applicants)
PLEASE NOTE: All foreign documents such as Birth Certificate or Marriage Certificate can only be accepted with an Apostille

In addition to the above mentioned documents the following (if applicable) must be submitted:
a) employee: work permit (issued by the Austrian Employment Service AMS), statement of salary or income, confirmation letter issued by employer
b) self-employed: last income tax statement, contract letter, business plan, letter of agreement, etc.
c) students: original letter of admission to Austrian school or university, written confirmation that tuition has been paid and room/board have been requested
d) au-pair: au pair contract (signed by both au pair and host family), letter of certification (issued by the Austrian Employment Service "AMS")
e) family reasons/reunion: marriage certificate, divorce certificate, death certificate, certificate giving evidence of relationship to another individual
Please visit this site for more information: www.bmeia.gv.at/en/embassy/los-angeles/practical-advice/visa-and-residence-permit/residence-permits.html


Rental properties are mostly coursed through real estates. Apartments make up the majority of these properties. More housing options are available going out of Vienna however the prices are steep. There are no designated areas for expats in the city. 

Driving License

EU and EEA nationals can use their driving licenses in Austria. For non-EU / EEA foreigners however, they will need an international driving license along with their domestic license from their home or host country. This is especially the case for licenses that are not in German.

In case of a conversion of an EU or EEA driving licence on a voluntary basis:
• Passport [Reisepass] or personal identification card
• Foreign driving licence
• One perfectly identifiable photo (35 mm x 45 mm) of the owner (if possible following specific passport photo criteriaGerman text)
• Possibly extract from the driving licence file of the issuing country and possibly a translation (simplifies the process at the responsible authority)
• Possibly Residence Registration Form [Bestätigung der Meldung] (simplifies the process at the responsible authority)

In case of a conversion of a non-EU or non-EEA driving licence:
• Passport [Reisepass]
• Foreign driving licence
• Possibly a translation of the driving licence
• One perfectly identifiable photo (35 mm x 45 mm) of the owner (if possible following specific passport photo criteriaGerman text)
• Medical report
• Possibly Residence Registration Form [Bestätigung der Meldung] (simplifies the process at the responsible authority)

The driving licence authority may ask for additional documents in particular cases.
For detailed information on driving licenses and conversions please visit: www.help.gv.at/Portal.Node/hlpd/public/content/139/Seite.1390000.html


Austria has one of the best healthcare systems. The country enjoys high standard medical facilities and services. Expatriates are also entitled to public healthcare as they are required to enroll in a healthcare scheme. For expat employees, their employers will enroll them at the district health insurance fund or Gebietskrankenkasse. For independent or self-employed workers, they must enroll at the Social Insurance for the Industrial Economy or Sozialversicherung der gewerblichen Wirtschaft. Dependents of employees are covered, while those who are self-employed, you must secure them separately. Once enrolled, the individual will be issued the e-card, which must be presented to avail the healthcare benefits.
Private insurances are not common, and are used only to complement the existing public healthcare scheme.

Health Insurance


District Health Insurance Fund or Gebietskrankenkasse
Address: Wienerbergstraße 15-19, 1100 Wien
Tel: +43 1 601 22 0
Fax: +43 1 602 46 13
Email: office@wgkk.at
Website (German): www.wgkk.at

Social Insurance for the Industrial Economy or Sozialversicherung der gewerblichen Wirtschaft
Website (German): esv-sva.sozvers.at


WIENER STÄDTISCHE Versicherung AG Vienna
Tel: +43 50 350 350
Email: kundenservice@staedtische.co.at
Website: www.wienerstaedtische.at/en/products.html


Vienna General Hospital
This is the largest and the oldest hospital in the city.
Address: Währinger Gürtel 18-20, 1090 Wien, Austria
Tel: +43 1 404000
FB: www.facebook.com/pages/Vienna-General-Hospital/115492788498617?rf=155804181106948
Website: www.akhwien.at/default.aspx?pid=80

This is private hospital located in a residential area in Vienna. Their services include gynecology, heart surgery, nuclear medicine and more.
Address: Billrothstraße 78, 1190 Wien, Austria
Tel: +43 1 360360
Website: www.rudolfinerhaus.at/en/the-rudolfinerhaus.html

For more information on healthcare in Austria, please visit: www.bmg.gv.at/cms/home/thema.html?channel=CH1013


Global Highlights