Need help with Halifax and Vancouver Itinerary | ExpatWoman.com

Need help with Halifax and Vancouver Itinerary

Latest post on 25 February 2013 - 19:02
Montreal is about a 12 hour drive stopping only for pee or gas stops. I mentioned Annapolis Royal before that is about 2.5 hrs from Halifax, Joggins about 1.5 hrs and Lunenburg nearly an hour. Cape Breton is a minimum 4 hr drive plus the days (yes plural) spent on the Cabot Trail. Also bear in mind that the times are for natives tourists may take slightly longer. Canada is really big even in a small province like NovaScotia google the song by the same title by the Arrogant Worms. Here's a link I really like the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_RPp4dbam8 Also, despite what the film Argo depicts (and it is a great movie) the Canadians involved in getting the Americans out of Iran were by no means sidekicks. <em>edited by marycatherine on 25/02/2013</em>
Latest post on 25 February 2013 - 13:51
Vancouver is lovely in July. If you have the time and want to, I would go to one of the farms that have U-pick. You pick your own berries. Our favourite farm is Krause Farm in Aldergrove. They have a lovely patio where you can have smoothies, pie, etc... About 30-40 minute drive from Vancouver. Or do a day trip to Vancouver Island. Hope you have a fantastic time.
Latest post on 25 February 2013 - 13:09
If you're military or ex you can great deals shopping, entertainment and off of food inVegas. Definitely stay the night in whistler, it's only an hour or so away but you can stop off at Horseshoe Bay on the way up, shannonfalls or Britannia beach. When you stop obviously it will add time to that original hour or so estimate. Vancouver has very nice Native ( Haida) artwork. There are great galleries in Horeseshoe Bay, Granville Island, steveston and Whistler. Buy authentic, handmade ( not machine carved ) and local. Boy you're making me want to go to Vancouver!
Latest post on 25 February 2013 - 12:33
Thank you ladies. Great ideas. Will will have a car at both places but would not like to do very long drives. How far is Montreal from Halifax, someone suggested we should cover that as well, but if its too far I would not want to cramp it in 1 week that we are in halifax. On shopping, do you suggest we do that in Halifax/Vancouver or in las Vegas/LA where we are anyway going? Are there any specific things (only available there which I would not find in US) that I should keep in mind? How far is Whistler from Van and would you suggest we stay there overnight/or more? Thanks once again for your time!
Latest post on 25 February 2013 - 12:08
Halifax is a very walkable city (if you're good at hills;)) with lots to see and do in the downtown core. You can take the ferry (runs every 15 minutes at peak hours) to Dartmouth and visit the Quaker House - it's the cheapest cruise going and takes about 15 minutes each way. Besides the Citadel, the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and the Nova Scotia Museum are both worth visits. The Public Gardens. The Canadian Museum of Immigration. Shakespeare by the Sea (outdoor performances) and the International Tattoo (you can buy tickets online for the latter. If you have a car short day trips of interest might be Grand Pre and the Habitation in the valley - both early settlements, Grand Pre is where Evangeline is "from" (Longfellow's poem) and based on the expulsion of the Acadians in the mid 18th century. The Habitation is a recontruction of the original settlement built by the French in the early 1600s. Both are near Annapolis Royal where there is a nice botanical garden. In fact, it might be worth an overnight trip from Halifax to take in a number of these places and take your time. Joggins is a bit of a drive but it and Lunenburg (diametrically opposite directions) are both Unesco World Heritage Sites http://jogginsfossilcliffs.net/. Your son would probably like the former better - and you would get to see the world's highest tides there too. There's lots more to see and do depending on how far you venture from Halifax, the Cabot Trail is always spectacular but I don't know if it would be interesting from a 10 year old's perspective for very long. But there are stops that can be made along the way there too. Good luck
Latest post on 25 February 2013 - 10:57
Richmond BC which is where the airport is and not far 10 minute drive is Steveston Village (fishing village, very cute with nice shops and restaurants) Walk or bike the dyke Pajos fish and chips! Vancouver: Walk Robson Street for outdoor store to store shopping, restaurants, cup cake ladies! Horseshoe Bay is breath taking. Worth the trip even if just for lunch. Eat at Trolls! Great kids park overlooking the bay! Sea to Sky Highway up to Britannia Beach (old mining town with tours) Shannon Falls past Squamish has an amazing waterfall. People picnic and climb the rocks and deadfall. Whistler: lots of things for kids and adults Take the Ferry to Nanaimo or Gibsons Grouse Mtn: You can walk up the Mtn, called the Grouse Grind and take the tram down. It's a hard hike but rewarding Cypress Bowl (mountain) They have a great view point over looking the city and water The Vancouver Aquarium is a great way to spend a morning or afternoon, then bike, blade or just walk around Stanley Park. edited by dogcatcher on 25/02/2013 <em>edited by dogcatcher on 25/02/2013</em>
Latest post on 25 February 2013 - 10:49
Hi Mumcurious Halifax is home for me, beautiful city! Are you staying downtown? If so lots of walking around to see the historic sites. The waterfront is lovely with some shops and restaurants. They have a Harbour Hopper which gives a tour of the city on land and in the water. Citadel Hill, old fort, is worth a visit. They still fire off a cannon at noon each day. Will you have a car? A drive down the South Shore is worth it as well. There is a lovely Farmers Market it is open all week but the busiest day with the most vendors is Sat. If it is raining there is a place called Discovery Centre your son would enjoy it is on Barrington St. If you want more let me know will post my email for you then delete it. Hope that helps. The two coast are very different but both lovely to see
Latest post on 25 February 2013 - 09:33
I've only visited Vancouver, which is a beautiful city. Stanley Park and Granville Island are the first two things I think of when I remember our visit (they probably each have their own websites which would be worth looking at); Horseshoe Bay is lovely; the top of the Post Office tower is quite something (can't match the Burj Kakifa, of course!). We went up Grouse Mountain to see the grizzly bears and birds of prey; also, went to the Planetarium. We also spent time in Seattle, which is about an hour and a half's drive away and worth a visit. Vancouver Island is also supposed to be great. This might help: http://www.tourismvancouver.com/do/ Have a great time! <em>edited by simpleasabc on 25/02/2013</em>
Latest post on 25 February 2013 - 08:56
Soft bump...
Latest post on 24 February 2013 - 10:49
Hello Ladies, We have finally booked our tickets for the Summer Holidays (3 weeks in July). We plan to do a week each in Halifax and Vancouver (flying straight to Halifax then after a week to Van). Can you ladies help me in planning an itinerary and suggest things to do. It will be my DH, my DS (10 yrs) and I. Dont want too much travelling, already 6-7 flights jammed in the 3 weeks. TIA