Babies/Toddlers in Taxis | ExpatWoman.com

Babies/Toddlers in Taxis

Latest post on 01 July 2014 - 21:39

Hi,

We will be moving soon with our 20-month-old daughter, and it occurred to me that I haven't a clue about taking toddlers in taxis. We're from NYC where you are permitted to take babies in cabs without a car seat (not recommended of course, but it's legal). Is this the case in Abu Dhabi? (Please don't think I plan to make a habit of this though; I've heard plenty about how dangerous the roads are.) Are there any special car services you can call that have car seats already installed?

We'll be getting our own car ASAP, but I want to be prepared for the first couple of weeks.

Thanks, all!

Latest post on 01 August 2014 - 00:02
I would say they are a bit more expensive and not the same choice / range. There is a company in Dubai - Just kidding - they have a website and stock a few more well known brands (Maxi Cosi, Stokke) worth having a look on there to compare prices. I bought my Maxi Cosi baby seats here in UAE but the Britax I wanted for the next stage wasn't available here so I bought it in the UK and got my parents to bring it with them when they visited. Toys R Us also stock a decent range here and there is a more limited range in Babyshop - they have a few cheaper ones and also Maxi Cosi and a few others (can't remember the brands - its been a while!).
Latest post on 16 July 2014 - 21:03
Thank you, jackieq513! Very helpful! Are car seats generally priced about the same as in US/UK?
Latest post on 05 July 2014 - 21:17
Hi You won't be challenged about getting in a taxi without a car seat - few people bother, however I personally wouldn't - driving in general is poor and taxi drivers, in my opinion, some of the worst drivers on the roads. I wouldn't dream of driving my car without my toddler in a car seat and most expats - used to western laws and driving standards - are the same. But not everyone has the same attitude or understanding of the dangers and it's very common to see toddlers bouncing around in the back and even babies on laps in the front seats.but the government are trying to change this slowly but surely - for example all babies born in the government maternity hospital in Abu Dhabi are issued a car seat on leaving the hospital. You can use a limo company called Careem - they have a website and an app you can download - they are more expensive than taxis but will provide a car seat on request and you can get a fare quote in advance so you know what it will cost. Al Ghazal limo service is again a bit more expensive than taxis but will also provide car seats if you request in advance. Hope this helps - good luck with the move :) Hope this helps!
Latest post on 01 July 2014 - 23:08
most people here dont use car seats... but i did hear on the radio next year i believe they are bringing in some new taxis with seats... but its up to you, the driving is manic here and if you think its safe to go with then go without otherwise hire a car like everyone else does and be in control of your own destiny and children.