Water quality concern | ExpatWoman.com

Water quality concern

Latest post on 24 July 2014 - 18:58

Hello, I'm doing a PhD in chemical law and have become very aware that desalination does not remove toxic chemicals from oil pollution. These chemicals particularly harm small and unborn children (I have a toddler) and cause hormonal cancers and disorders decades later as well as other types of cancer. The Persian Gulf is the most oil polluted water in the world and beaches and sea water is of course used by humans, desalinated for public consumption.

My family is considering a move to Abu Dhabi. We would only drink glass bottled water but I am extremely concerned about the water available for bathing, swimming and cooking when eating out. For obvious reasons, this oil pollution in the water supply is not publicised much in the UAE as there is no alternative to the available water for most of the population - but for the exapats that choose to live there I am wondering:

1. Is there anything to do besides going to water parks or going shopping with newborns and toddlers? I do not want to expose my children to the toxic water and I lived in Hong Kong for years and hated that there was nothing to do but go to a shopping mall when the heat hits. It seems there are really only the corniche and that park that starts with a K anywhere near downtown unless you hang out in your villa complex?

2. Is it very expensive to buy GLASS bottled water? Plastic bottles are endocrine disruptors (BPA free plastic generally has even less tested replacements so plastic in general should be avoided as some BPA free alternative materials are being found to be even more toxic!)

I know this is a topic that many want to turn a blind eye to or dismiss as untrue but I am studying the science and just want to make the right decision for my family as to whether or not I could deal with living there!

Thanks

Latest post on 25 July 2014 - 13:59
1. Apart from indoor play areas, that's pretty much all there is in Abu Dhabi even in winter. Most people are at the beach, at the malls, pools or water parks. The parks are watered with the same water! 2. Glass bottled water is expensive and as most of us use bottled water for cooking etc as well, would be very expensive. You can get filter for the showers and kitchen sinks etc but I doubt they would remove as many impurities as you would like. I would say IMHO that the UAE isn't for you, how would you have control over water at yr children's school, swimming lessons for example