Very Urgent Matter: Affordable salary to live in Abu Dhabi? | ExpatWoman.com

Very Urgent Matter: Affordable salary to live in Abu Dhabi?

Latest post on 18 June 2015 - 14:19

My husband has received an offer to work in Abu Dhabi and we need to answer in 6 days.

The offer includes:

- Basic salary: 25.550 AED
- Transport allowance: 1.450 AED
- Housing allowance: 8.000 AED

Apart from this, we will have health insurance for the whole family and coverage of 75% of school fees from the age of 4.

Total: 35.000 AED / month... Is it enough for a family of 3: My husband, me and my kid of almost 2 years old?

Thank you in advance

Latest post on 12 July 2015 - 22:28
Me and hubby make together almost 30, we have a baby and a nanny, 2 cars and we pay for family members at home. Mind you, we are having accomodation provided by the company, but it's now only a 1 bedroom. You can easily live on 35000 a month, and save some money, unless you come here with you mind set on brunches and shoping. A lot of the people coming here from non native English speaking countries hardly get anywhere near that salary.
Latest post on 23 June 2015 - 01:44
Are you taking it then?
Latest post on 21 June 2015 - 19:55
I think this is a comfortable salary to go by. 35K AED is much more than what most people make and you should be able to live a comfortable life with savings too at the end of the month.
Latest post on 19 June 2015 - 15:35
I will be the optimist and say that it can be done - of course, it all depends on the OPs goals and objectives. As broken down, I agree that AED 8k per month is not suitable for accommodation - a decent 2BR flat will easily run 10K. Also, the cost of owning and maintaining a car will likely be AED 2k or more per month. Going out can also be quite expensive, though I imagine that your wildest partying days are behind you if you have a small child. :) That said, 75% discount on tuition is a nice perk, as school fees are very expensive here. And keep in mind that salaries are tax free. Plenty of people earn far less than 35k per month and they live comfortable lives and save money. Still others make double that but barely manage to scrape by. It depends on how you want to save and spend.
Latest post on 19 June 2015 - 10:56
I would say no, but it will depend on your situation in the UK and the standard of living you currently have. I've posted on another thread, but I'll repeat the gist of it. When we were doing our sums before Christmas, I read that you need £8-10K per month for a reasonable standard of living. I don't know if that right, we're not all there yet, but it's a benchmark. Your offer is the equivalent of ~£75K pa which would put you in the top 10% of earners in the UK, but won't go as far in AD. As Buddha said, you'll struggle to keep within your housing allowance. We were hoping to spend no more than 150K AED pa and ended up at 175. We're a couple with an almost 8yo and wanted somewhere with facilities. I'd imagine with a toddler you'll want the same? School fees, you'll be paying 1000AED a month minimum if you're capped at 75%; we're on 'full' up to the cost of BSAK but lots of the newer schools are dearer than that. We found an online calculator somewhere which gave examples for three lifestyles and various family configurations. It was called something like 'is it worth it'. You put your figures in and it gives you a prediction of disposable income/deficit each month. Hope that helps. And sorry if I sound a bit negative, but there are lots of hidden costs as well. You need min £5K to relocate for a start.
Latest post on 18 June 2015 - 15:25
I would say that in two years you will start to find it more difficult. We do hsve similar monthly income and pay two school fees secondary BUT I work parttime and we have eroded savings. It will be difficult to find accommodation for 8k a month. Even if you do, then every year accommodation costs rises but salaries tend not to. Paying part of the school fees will also erode your salary. Do you have air fares home included? And what type of medical cover ie many don't hsve dental included which is expensive here. If it were me, I would be negotiating for full school fees AND at least 10k a month for housing. To put in perspective our school fees were 90k three years ago and now 140k Our rent has gone from 80k to 120k in three years.