School safety protocols | ExpatWoman.com

School safety protocols

Latest post on 14 March 2016 - 12:59

Hello All - Just trying to guage what kind of safety protocols exist in some of the international schools( teacher training, cameras, vetting, parent notification, emergency procedures, etc.? We are quite unfamiliar with how things are run here - but excited about our move! Any insight is helpful.

Latest post on 02 May 2016 - 14:01
It's going to be highly dependent on the school. I'm in Al Ain not AD but my kids school has strong security on the gate, kids are ticked out by the teacher (early primary) at the end of the day and organised fire safety procedures. Not sure on CCTV - there will be some about but it's not obvious. Kids not allowed outside unless they have hats (and there's an indoor room to play in if they don't). The change of a (young) child getting out of school would be minimal but technically possible I suppose if they were very determined! I don't know about criminal record checks. It may be part of the visa process for teacher visas. I don't put a lot of faith in CRB checks anyway - they only pick up people who have been caught. I haven't gone into details (except for fire safety and I have personally seen the organisation on fire drills) but happy from a safety point of view (and generally). I haven't had kids in education in the UK but this is certainly much stronger security than I had at primary. This is Brighton College so I'd assume the AD branch has similar in place if that's one of the ones you're looking at.
Latest post on 21 April 2016 - 15:05
I don't have a child in school at the moment but from what I understand most teachers in international schools come from outside the UAE. They are expected to hold proper teaching qualifications and some experience. In the UK (and I presume in many other countries) it is standard practice for a trainee teacher to undergo criminal record checks before being admitted onto a course. I imagine that record checks are also done here. I expect that there is CCTV in some schools as there seems to be a lot of CCTV here in general. To the best of my knowledge pupils are not allowed to wander out of the school gates or wander off with strangers or anything like that and school - parent communication seems quite good from what my friends say. There seem to be a lot of coffee mornings and parent-teacher conferences... The Government are quite strict about school trips and when I've seen school groups out and about there has been a high adult to child ratio... The kids look generally happy and are generally well behaved. Many children take the bus to school. From what I understand there is a driver and a chaperone (although I can't say for sure). There's been quite a bit in the paper about bullying recently but I really don't think that the situation here is any worse than in the UK or anywhere else... Sorry I can't be more helpful!