How to protect your home from unwanted guests
Is your home under attack?
In the UAE, we live in constant threat of invasion from un-wanted house guests such as ants, cockroaches, rodents, mosquitoes, flies, bed bugs and many more. They’re annoying and they pose a serious threat to your property, your health and the health of your family.
It is essential they are dealt with swiftly, effectively and with care, ensuring the health and safety of you and your family comes first.
Identify your attackers
Ants are a common pest complaint in the UAE. A single ant can lead the way for an entire colony to attack your home in its hunt for food. Ants can give a nasty nip, which may result in an allergic reaction.
These nasty little nippers are familiar pests in the UAE. Any body of stagnant water is a suitable breeding ground. A species is capable of dispersing malaria, but the threat is currently under control in the UAE.
Cockroaches love warmth, shelter and moisture. They feed on garbage and sewerage and will happily crawl over food meant for human consumption.
Flies regurgitate and defecate on their feeding site, bringing a cocktail of microbes into direct contact with food.
Rats and mice are a big problem. They need to gnaw on hard materials to wear down their rapidly growing teeth, and will happily cut through aluminium, cardboard, wood, plastics and even electrical and telephone cables. They make themselves at home in sewers, garbage, roofs and kitchen cupboards.
Bed bugs, hornets, wasps and bees, termites, spiders, fleas, ticks, moths, scorpions, crickets, and many more.
Protect your home
It doesn’t matter how much stamping, squashing, whacking, spraying and cleaning you do, pests will find a way back into your home and your cupboards if you don’t take the necessary precautions.
Here are a few simple rules to help protect your home:
- Store food in sealed containers
- Do not leave food uncovered
- Ensure waste is bagged and removed daily
- Ensure any leaks or blockages are repaired quickly to prevent moisture from encouraging mosquitoes
- Fit entry ways and windows with bug screens
- Ensure your garden, paths and outdoor spaces are cleaned regularly, as bird droppings can pose a serious threat, whilst grass and yard debris can encourage pests
- Check seals on doors and windows, fit mesh on drains and check there are no gaps around service pipes