US passport for newborn- has anyone done this recently? | ExpatWoman.com

US passport for newborn- has anyone done this recently?

Latest post on 02 January 2013 - 20:11
Why would the US embassy here not give the child a US passport if you are an American citizen? I'm due in less than 2 months and I was under the impression I could apply for the passport at the embassy Hello. You need to prove to the US authorities that you lived in the USA for the required number of years if your DH is not American. If you can't do that, then getting a passport for your child will be a challenge but not impossible as mentioned in this thread. <em>edited by AnonDubai on 02/01/2013</em>
Latest post on 02 January 2013 - 15:27
Why would the US embassy here not give the child a US passport if you are an American citizen? I'm due in less than 2 months and I was under the impression I could apply for the passport at the embassy
Latest post on 14 December 2012 - 21:17
GreenQueen - yes that is absolutely correct and that is the procedure I followed with DS. I'm a US born citizen but for the most irritating technicality i couldn't have his birth registered at the US Embassy here so i got him an immigrant visa (issued by the US embassy in AD) just before i was travelling back to the US. he entered with that visa and i went to a passport office in NYC and he had his passport 2 days later!! it's a painful process with paperwork, but it was so worth it!
Latest post on 29 November 2012 - 01:09
Ladies - I know this is an old thread but I was hoping for some more info. For our first baby, we ended up going back to the States in the end and having the delivery there as we were lead to believe that was the only option for automatic US citizenship for her. However, now our second is due in Feb, and while I was at the US embassy today, I was told that as I am a US citizen, another option is to have the baby here and then apply for an immigrant visa and once we get that, as long as the baby enters the US within 6 months of getting that, he or she automatically gets citizenship. Has anyone else gone down this route and is it worth pursuing? The lady at the embassy did say it was a lot of paperwork and we'd have to go to the Abu Dhabi embassy to get all this done, but if I can avoid having to go stay in the States again now for a few months with a toddler, then it may be worth it. I believe it falls under the Child Citizenship Protection Act.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY