Christmas Traditions! What are yours? | ExpatWoman.com

Christmas Traditions! What are yours?

Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 15:58
This is our first year here - DINK's - I LOVE Christmas Time .. from having dinner with the Girls after shopping in Bluewater - (7 Years )...we always go to an Italian in Shenfield/Hutton near Brentwood Every year we would go to Midnight Mass/Service - head home- light the Christingles and have a little midnight feast of Fresh Fruit, Cakes,Homemade Mincepies - Homemade sausage rolls with apple, mulled wine or eggnogg - then open one present .. Last year DH & I stayed at the Brands Hatch Place in Kent UK we arrived on Christmas Morning - went up to our suite and had Christmas dinner at 5pm - It was absolutely LOVELY .. and HIGHLY recommended .. we then went down for the cold buffet at 9pm....OMG ... never ate so much .. but the food was Fabulous .. This year - we will be heading to our kitchen... then we are inviting 8 friends over for Christmas Eve - we are having a dinner with lovely puddings and treats and drinking some very good champagne and port ... then we are slinging them in a cab where 30 of us are meeting for Christmas day at a hotel in JBR .... We will miss the traditional stuff this year .. I am not putting up a tree as such but we have bought these fancy white twig trees from a store in the Dubai Marina Mall .. 2 of them with twinkly lights .. the cabinet in the front room will be decorated with some white and silver decorations ....and thats me ! all done ... No presents ... just some 'gifts' for our friends - we are buying entertainer books for everyone ...
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 10:38
Christmas stocking for the kids and my hubby. I collect little bits and pieces throughout the year, put an orange and sweets at bottom, a cracker on the top and they all take turns to open the presents. Takes nice long time first thing and sets the tone. I always make a Xmas cake couple of months before and get the kids to do a Magic Wish stir before it goes in the oven. Evidence that Father C has been - half eaten mince pie, empty glass, gnawed carrot and magic dust and footprints round fireplace - err not sure where that's gonna be this year - which 8 make with porridge oats and glitter. Christmas music on as we open our presents I LOVE it. Curious about this year as it is our first in Dubai.
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 10:37
On Christmas Eve, with family in the UK, with the mulled wine flowing and the CD playing, we always have a debate about "Best Christmas song ever" It happens every time!!
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 10:16
Every Christmas Eve at home my family and I go for a curry at our local curry house and then to the pub for a few drinks - sad that I won't be there this year :-(
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 10:11
We've never done Christmas stockings before but think we're going to start this year. Any excuse for more pressies :D
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 09:44
We all get new pyjamas to put on christmas eve and settle down for a movie night with popcorn and hot chocolate. Going to make xmas cookies and a gingerbread house the week before xmas. It will probably be a disaster but im hoping it will become a new tradition. Can't wait to hear others to see if I can nick some ideas ;)
Latest post on 21 November 2011 - 09:26
OK so being away from home for Christmas isnt always easy and I always think that its really important to celebrate as if we were home! However, its nice to be able to chose our own Christmas traditions - eg, we dont do Xmas cake or pudding so we have made our own version of Xmas cake that we only eat that time of year! What are your fav Xmas traditions and do you have any of your own?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY