Wedding Costs - cannot believe my eyes / ears | ExpatWoman.com

Wedding Costs - cannot believe my eyes / ears

Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 09:20
Hi Dangerous Blonde - i got married in Dubai in November. I had about 60 guests in the day. The wedding did cost us a fortune but was worth every minute. Alcohol is really expensive but why not have a drinks package instead of the champagne as this is what i did and helped to reduce the price. I also organised a lot of things myself so saved money there. 100K for 80 guests is a good budget. For the flowers i actually arranged for them to be delivered on the morning of the wedding and my mum tied some ribbon around them and they looked amazing......the shops wanted to charge me about 10K too for a wedding bouquet. In the evening i had a cash bar as well. I also know a great make up artist who was one of the cheapest i tried but also the best. She was the only one who didnt make me look like a drag queen with heavy eye make up. I know a great hairdresser too.... Hope this helps edited by Bracey777 on 26/03/2012 Hi there Old post I know but would be great if you were still out there. Are you able to share your make up artist and hairdresser that you used as I am getting silly quotes at the moment. Many thanks SH12... i recently used a freelancer for hair&makeup for a small wedding reception i organised and i thought she was priced quite reasonable... her charges are i think 600 for bridal hair and 700 for bridal makeup and i thought she did a very good job and had a chance to take a sneak peak into her makeup kit and saw a lot of high quality products from MAC, etc... happy to recommend her and share her details...
Latest post on 01 September 2015 - 09:08
Hi Dangerous Blonde - i got married in Dubai in November. I had about 60 guests in the day. The wedding did cost us a fortune but was worth every minute. Alcohol is really expensive but why not have a drinks package instead of the champagne as this is what i did and helped to reduce the price. I also organised a lot of things myself so saved money there. 100K for 80 guests is a good budget. For the flowers i actually arranged for them to be delivered on the morning of the wedding and my mum tied some ribbon around them and they looked amazing......the shops wanted to charge me about 10K too for a wedding bouquet. In the evening i had a cash bar as well. I also know a great make up artist who was one of the cheapest i tried but also the best. She was the only one who didnt make me look like a drag queen with heavy eye make up. I know a great hairdresser too.... Hope this helps edited by Bracey777 on 26/03/2012 Hi there Old post I know but would be great if you were still out there. Are you able to share your make up artist and hairdresser that you used as I am getting silly quotes at the moment. Many thanks
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 18:35
For make up, I'm paying AED750 on the day and AED350 for a trial, plus AED400 each for any additional people on the day. That's good. What about the hair coffee_mate if you don't mind me asking.
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 18:20
For make up, I'm paying AED750 on the day and AED350 for a trial, plus AED400 each for any additional people on the day.
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 18:06
I've just been quoted 1,500 - 2,000 dhs for my hair and 1,500 for make up. And 500 dhs each per person for make-up extra. The hair dresser I actually know and she and the make-up artists usually do many fashion shoots etc, their work is fantastic. Not sure how 'average' that is. That is ridiculous! There is no way I would pay almost 600 pounds for my hair and make up to be done just because it's my "wedding day". May sound cheap but I have many friends who can curl my hair and put decent make up on. Who do these people think they are???! Freelance professionals - that's probably why. I swear the minute you mention the W word prices sky rocket. it's becoming very frustrating.
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 17:48
I've just been quoted 1,500 - 2,000 dhs for my hair and 1,500 for make up. And 500 dhs each per person for make-up extra. The hair dresser I actually know and she and the make-up artists usually do many fashion shoots etc, their work is fantastic. Not sure how 'average' that is.
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 17:23
Dawn is an excellent photographer. She did my makeup for my wedding (had Ugly Duckling booked when I met her) but is also photographer. I don't know what she charges but worth contacting her. She's a really lovely person ETA: Forgot to add link - http://www.theyaregorgeous.com/www.theyaregorgeous.coms/info.php?p=7 edited by Gra on 17/09/2012 I'm assuming there is an error on her website (AED 6000 per person hair/make up on the day seems rather steep?!) I just spotted that too, yeah, presume it's an error as I'm sure I paid 600Dhs for each of my bridesmaids! Or else she's raking it in! ;) <em>edited by Gra on 17/09/2012</em>
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 17:18
Dawn is an excellent photographer. She did my makeup for my wedding (had Ugly Duckling booked when I met her) but is also photographer. I don't know what she charges but worth contacting her. She's a really lovely person ETA: Forgot to add link - http://www.theyaregorgeous.com/www.theyaregorgeous.coms/info.php?p=7 edited by Gra on 17/09/2012 I'm assuming there is an error on her website (AED 6000 per person hair/make up on the day seems rather steep?!)
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 17:06
Thanks Gra !!! Appreciate all your help !!
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 16:52
Dawn is an excellent photographer. She did my makeup for my wedding (had Ugly Duckling booked when I met her) but is also photographer. I don't know what she charges but worth contacting her. She's a really lovely person ETA: Forgot to add link - http://www.theyaregorgeous.com/www.theyaregorgeous.coms/info.php?p=7 <em>edited by Gra on 17/09/2012</em>
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 16:47
Wow - Ugly Duckling have obviously become very popular if they're charging those prices - they are excellent though! Anya- have you tried matrixparty.com? I got my band through them. I can't get onto their website just now but I'm sure they do lighting & dj's too. They're an all round entertainment company & the band we got were great, they even learnt Irish songs for me in a week! If the the dj's etc are as good as band I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them :)
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 16:40
As of now i need to get my wedding photographer, the outdoor decor and lighting and the wedding DJ finalized !! i think for the wedding photography ill call Melrish photography and Rebecca Hobday ..I actually need the wedding photographer for 2 days ..coz on the first day ...its just a small function with family only where we have the hindu rituals for the wedding at the temple and den a tradional hindu wedding lunch at an indian restuarant..and the next day we have our wedding reception in the evening for friends and family...sooo lots of planning and stressing out ..!!!
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 16:39
Thanks Gra, I check Ugly Duckling's website and their average price is 10k -12k these days. Still worth actually contacting them though. I found them to be quite flexible Will do. Thanks :)
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 16:37
Thanks Gra, I check Ugly Duckling's website and their average price is 10k -12k these days. Still worth actually contacting them though. I found them to be quite flexible
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 16:33
Thanks Gra, I check Ugly Duckling's website and their average price is 10k -12k these days. We've managed to get a nice deal with the H hotel for their Empire room for a reception - it's gorgeous and we'll do a buffet menu - very casual, been given loads of options and we even get a room in the hotel for the night which is ace :) the minimum spend is very very reasonable so well happy with that. <em>edited by Chocs01 on 17/09/2012</em>
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 16:25
Hi elle 13211 ...ive just joined the ExpatWoman forum !! Im getting married in December and im going crazy with all the last minute stuff !! Can you please advise me on the photographer that you had suggested who cahrges a reasonable rate ? LOL you literally just beat me to it! Same, all the photographers I've contacted are asking 10-12k - er no! Also good flourists for bouquets and button holes if anyone has suggestions. edited by Chocs01 on 17/09/2012 If I'm right, 'Elle' has moved on to the UK permanently, dunno if she still checks in here We got married (had blessing on beach) here in Mar 2011. We used Ugly Duckling photography & I can't remember exact price but I know for sure we didn't pay 10k! Anna was fantastic, we were delighted with service & photographs We used Bliss flowers on the Palm for our bouquets & button holes - came in ridiculously cheap (by comparison to home anyway), I presume this also depends on what flowers you wish to have Our reception was in the Villa Beach Restaurant in the Jumeirah Beach Hotel - amazing! Minimum spend was required but we bartered a bit & alcohol was included in the price. About 2hours before we were due to finish up the manager came to DH & said you've got so much left on your minimum spend, can I make up some cocktails & shots for your guests! We ended up 'spending' it all!! HTH you all - would love to be doing ours all again, but in fairness I wouldn't change a moment of it :)
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 16:07
i need a photographer with a reasonable price ..really dont want to be paying 10k on that...Also - does anyone know of a good event management company that i can approach for outdoor decoration and lighting ...?
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 15:57
I got married in Switzerland, which I though was pretty pricey but it seems reading this Dubai is just as bad! There's a facebook page Bride Club ME which provides info for all budgets. Might be worth asking them a few questions see if they have any good recommendations. Good luck!
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 15:20
Hi elle 13211 ...ive just joined the ExpatWoman forum !! Im getting married in December and im going crazy with all the last minute stuff !! Can you please advise me on the photographer that you had suggested who cahrges a reasonable rate ? LOL you literally just beat me to it! Same, all the photographers I've contacted are asking 10-12k - er no! Also good flourists for bouquets and button holes if anyone has suggestions. edited by Chocs01 on 17/09/2012 I'm using Black Tulip in Sharjah for my flowers. I was happy with their quote and they came recommended
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 15:13
Hi elle 13211 ...ive just joined the ExpatWoman forum !! Im getting married in December and im going crazy with all the last minute stuff !! Can you please advise me on the photographer that you had suggested who cahrges a reasonable rate ? LOL you literally just beat me to it! Same, all the photographers I've contacted are asking 10-12k - er no! Also good flourists for bouquets and button holes if anyone has suggestions. <em>edited by Chocs01 on 17/09/2012</em>
Latest post on 17 September 2012 - 15:10
Hi elle 13211 ...ive just joined the ExpatWoman forum !! Im getting married in December and im going crazy with all the last minute stuff !! Can you please advise me on the photographer that you had suggested who cahrges a reasonable rate ?
Latest post on 11 September 2012 - 08:24
Oh that wounds like a great idea! wedding day is a weekday, so will have to hunt about for somewhere to put on a deal. But thanks for that suggestion. Just want something really informal and fun.
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 20:29
We took all our guests 30 of them to the Al Qasr brunch. It was great. They gave us a slightly better deal than full price, we had to sign a disclaimer for our cake but that was displayed and cut for us once we cut the cake. Everyone had a great time and we were able to talk to everyone. Our family and friends from the UK still rave about the food, drink and entertainment.
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 20:17
Oh gosh no. Wouldn't be looking at more than about 20-30 people. I just want somewhere we can have a nice meal and a few drinks - not doing the 'big' reception thing at all. More likely to drag everyone to a pub!
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 18:42
I'm currently trying to come up with ideas for a small reception, that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions would be welcome. What is your definition of "an arm and a leg"? Would approx 38-40k AED for 60 people be considered an arm and a leg for a hotel venue? I had my wedding in March this year and spent approx 55k all in, including photography, dress, DJ, etc. I hate my photographers by the way (they are dubai based... becareful when you look for one. Read their terms and conditions). drop me an email [email protected] if you need some information.
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 11:43
I'm currently trying to come up with ideas for a small reception, that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions would be welcome. not sure what sort of menu your looking for or if you require alcohol or not... the cheapest way to hold a reception would be to have it in a restaurant that is not connected to a hotel... try contact the Zen restaurant... they used to be in Zabeel Park but now are in Downtown Dubai... they have a party hall both indoor and outdoor so probably would be nice for you... but if you require alcohol at the event then look at hotels that have smaller ballrooms such as Creek Sheraton... i think they charge around AED 120 per head and have a small ballroom with an outdoor area that opens out to the pool... lovely for an evening or afternoon reception...
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 10:19
I'm currently trying to come up with ideas for a small reception, that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions would be welcome. Wasn't there a poster on here (around the start of the year Elle? Eli? Ellie? somthing) who did her reception much more cheaply by telling the venue that it was a family reunion as the same catering/dinner menu prices seemed to double and triple if they knew it was a wedding
Latest post on 10 September 2012 - 09:16
I'm currently trying to come up with ideas for a small reception, that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Latest post on 29 August 2012 - 17:06
http://www.theyaregorgeous.com/www.theyaregorgeous.coms/info.php?p=11 I can recommend this photographer and i think she does styling/makeup.
Latest post on 29 August 2012 - 14:29
The most common haunts for readymade dresses are the following: · THE WEDDING SHOP is in Jumeirah Centre and they stock a wide range of wedding dresses from designers across the globe · THE BRIDAL ROOM is in Jumeirah Plaza and is owned Anne Rashid (050-5982070)... the shop stocks readmades but you can also get one made by her at her tailoring branch in Satwa called Motexa... the designing charges start at 3000 plus extra for the material · PRONOVIAS is in Dubai Mall and they have a range of dresses in the store as well as a catalogue from which one can order... they have been snubbed a lot though for their poor customer service so beware! · FROST BRIDAL at the Jumeirah Palm Strip Mall (top floor) has a selection of dresses... they also have a catalogue from which you can order · TEMPERLY in Dubai Mall has a small range of their bridal dresses, but also has a lot of white/cream evening dresses that could work as a wedding dress if you're not looking for something too elaborate · SAKS 5th AVENUE in BurJuman has a small selection of Vera Wang and Reem Acra wedding dresses (ask as they don't always put them all on display) and will usually tell you that they don't stock them over the phone but when you go there it's usually there!! [b'>· EKATERINA & MARIA are shops in Lamcy Plaza and Mazaya Centre that stock readymade party dresses and wedding dresses... this is possibly the cheapest if you're looking to buy readymades as the dresses start from 400dhs and some of them are quite lovely and exquisite in design... of course the one thing missing is the whole buying experience of a boutique store but if you're just looking for a pretty dress on a budget this is worth a look (especially since you'll be wearing that dress for less than 24hrs!!)[/b'> And if you're looking to get a dress tailor made to your specifications, you can try one of the following all of whom are highly recommended for Western wedding dresses in Dubai: · Berna in Karama (04-3351989) · Susanna Rachel Bridal Couture in Palm Jumeirah (055-2948760) · Pelin's Tailoring in Bur Dubai (050-1656598) · and, of course, Ann Rashid at Motexha (050-5982070) in addition to this there are loads of specialty wedding dress designer stores in Deira and Satwa that cater to Arabic tastes (western style gowns with a lot of embroidery and bling)... and of course DUBIZZLE alwayyyyyssss has people looking to sell their gowns that have been just worn once... some even offer to rent it out... all the best in your hunt!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY