Apple Macbook cost | ExpatWoman.com

Apple Macbook cost

Latest post on 05 May 2012 - 03:49

Hi all

i am just wondering if anyone knows how much mabook pro's are in duty free
thanks

Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 18:49
Too many items to carry back. 3 laptops, 1 macbook, 2 ipads, and lots of documents.
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 18:42
Most people take their iPad and PC's on the plane with them, but each to their own... wouldn't it cost more to buy it new when you get there since you'd need to be offering a pretty decent discount for second hand?? anyway not really my business so good luck selling that stuff
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 18:41
The value of the goods does not outweigh the cost of the container. I would rather go back and repurchase :)
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 18:37
Oh, no container then? :(
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 18:37
Yes, we are shipping all our stuff through a friend in Emirates and we need to be under 500 kilo as that is his allowance. I am pretty much selling everything except for things that have sentimental value. Every bit adds up :)
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 18:36
I have to admit, I was wondering that too. Seems strange to sell so much newly bought stuff that you bought from a country you're returning to. It must all be under warranty so wouldn't it be more economical to take it with you?
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 18:27
Sorry, just being nosey but organic mom is there a reason you're selling all your stuff when its pretty portable? like a lap top and iPads are pretty easy to transport?
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 18:13
I also have 2 ipads (8gb and 16 gb) (newest one) with facetime, pinger textfree, magic jack, and all the pre-installed apps from USA.
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 18:09
Darn it, oganicmum, if only you'd posted that on Friday, I'd have bitten your hand off for it :) There'll be at least two people here interested, anyway :) Actually, there's an email winging its way to you from me now :) <em>edited by simpleasabc on 06/05/2012</em>
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 17:56
I bought one for my son last month from USA and am selling it as we are moving back. It is the American version with english keyboard and has all the apps and software preinstalled from the USA. Pls let me know if you are interested. <em>edited by oganicmom on 06/05/2012</em>
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 16:16
I think the official apple online stores all have the same price, but it definitely varies from shop to shop here. A friend brought my new mb pro in the states, and it was around $200 cheaper there than the online store here, but I do agree with simpleasabc, if you're paying for shipping etc you may as well just get it here.
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 15:44
duty free shops will be expensive...better try some on-line shops
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 15:16
Simples, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you (but I hate to, you are one of my few favorites :) Even within the UAE there is a huge price difference; We were looking for a MacBook Pro about a month ago and went first to the Computer Plaza in Bur Dubai where we found it for AED4,600. We then went to Emax at MCC and found the same Product at a whopping AED5,900. We ended up buying an HP desktop :)
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 12:01
When we were in Switzerland, my husband used to travel quite a bit to the US and with the exchange rate as it was then, there were only a few Francs difference between buying an Apple product in the US and buying it in Switzerland. I thought it was an established Apple policy that their products should cost the same worldwide. As I said, if you check on Amazon UK, products are the same price as here give or take a bit for the exchange rate. Maybe it's worth buying an Apple product if you're actually in the US but otherwise, if you add the cost of shipping and import duty, it probably works out the same as buying it here.
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 11:33
I am very surprised by what you just wrote -- simpleasabc. Last year I bought an ipad in the US for a friend because it was much cheaper there than in the UAE. I have not checked recently so maybe simpleasabc is right but buying in the US used to be considerably cheaper....
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 11:02
Apple products are price-fixed worldwide, so buying in duty-free makes no difference. We've just bought a MacBook Pro with an English keyboard here at Sharaf DG for the same price as it would have been from the UAE online store and the same as it would have been anywhere in the world, with a slight difference because of exchange rates.. The equivalent from Amazon UK would have cost me AED100 more, plus shipping costs, in fact. <em>edited by simpleasabc on 06/05/2012</em>
Latest post on 06 May 2012 - 10:13
I'm also looking to buy one, but here they are quite expensive. Have you thought about ordering yours through Amazon? I might do that in the end.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY