US citizens living abroad - have you applied for an immigrant visa for your newborn born outside the US? | ExpatWoman.com

US citizens living abroad - have you applied for an immigrant visa for your newborn born outside the US?

Latest post on 02 December 2012 - 00:42

I've posted on pregnancy, babies, and toddlers forum as well but have had no luck. I am a US citizen, my husband is not. I cannot prove through the necessary documentation that I lived in the US for 5 years and so I cannot use that route to get the US passport for my children born outside the US. For our first baby, we ended up going back to the States and having the delivery there as we were lead to believe that was the only option for automatic US citizenship for her. However, now our second is due in Feb, and while I was at the US embassy end of last week (for something unrelated), I was told that as I am a US citizen, another option is to have the baby here and then apply for an immigrant visa and once we get that, as long as the baby enters the US within 6 months of getting that, he or she automatically gets citizenship. Has anyone else gone down this route and is it worth pursuing? The lady at the embassy did say it was a lot of paperwork and we'd have to go to the Abu Dhabi embassy to get all this done, but if I can avoid having to go stay in the States again now for a few months with a toddler, then it may be worth it. I believe it falls under the Child Citizenship Protection Act.

Latest post on 02 December 2012 - 12:29
That's right - it does not apply automatically. You can get it automatically if both parents are US citizens. If only one is, as in our case, and we live overseas, you have to either have the birth in the US or be able to prove through documentation that you have lived in the US for 5 years, 2(or 3?) of which are after the age of 14.
Latest post on 02 December 2012 - 11:52
If your a US citizen why do you need to apply for an immigrant visa for the baby? Your passport should be enough to prove your citizenship. And that should be good enough to apply for a US birth Certificate for your baby and get the baby the US passport which would then allow you to get the residency visa for the baby. That does not apply to the USA. A US passport is not enough to pass on US citizenship.
Latest post on 02 December 2012 - 11:29
If your a US citizen why do you need to apply for an immigrant visa for the baby? Your passport should be enough to prove your citizenship. And that should be good enough to apply for a US birth Certificate for your baby and get the baby the US passport which would then allow you to get the residency visa for the baby.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY