Complicated Car Registration Renewal / Exporting from Abu Dhabi to Dubai Question! | ExpatWoman.com

Complicated Car Registration Renewal / Exporting from Abu Dhabi to Dubai Question!

Latest post on 14 January 2013 - 11:24

Hi ladies,

My car AD registration has expired in December and I need to renew it. However my visa is now Dubai and I want to move the car and all other relevant documents over to Dubai also. I have done lengthy research and I've come up with a long list of where/how/what I needs but I had a few questions in case anyone had been in my particular situation recently:

1) Do I HAVE to switch my AD license to Dubai for any reason? Re-registration, etc? Or can I just keep it AD and use it regardless that everything else (visa, emirates ID, car registration, etc) will all be from Dubai?

2) Since my car registration expired do I need to first renew registration in Abu Dhabi; THEN transfer/export to Dubai? OR can I skip renewal registration process and fees and simply do the export to Dubai THEN renew in Dubai?

3) Do I have the processes correct below? If so, what in the world is a NOC from the Emirate of Dubai??? (States this is needed on the Abu Dhabi Traffic Website)

TRANSFER DRIVING LICENSE FROM ABU DHABI TO DUBAI
1) IN ABU DHABI
WHERE:
• Customer service centers of Drivers Licensing Department, General Directorate of Abu Dhabi Police (main Vehicle Licensing building in Abu Dhabi)
• Sunday – Thursday 7:30 AM – 8:00 PM
• 600 577777
NEED:
• Original Emirates ID
• Original Driving License
• No Objection Certificate/Letter from the Emirate of Dubai
• No Objection Certificate/Letter from Husband
• Photo
• Driving License Transfer Form from RTA (Received There?)
• Fees
• (Bring also passport, and copies of passport, visa, emirates ID, driving license, NOC)
2) IN DUBAI
WHERE:
• RTA Cubicle (Dubai drivers license location), Deira City Centre Mall has one
NEED:
• Passport
• Original Emirates ID
• AD License Copy and paperwork which = license
• No Objection Certificate/Letter from Husband
• Photo
• Driving License Transfer Form from RTA / Papers from Abu Dhabi Part…
• Fees
• (Bring also copies of passport, visa, emirates ID, driving license, Husband NOC)

REGISTER RENEWAL CAR IN ABU DHABI
WHERE:
• customer service centres of Vehicle Licensing Department, General Directorate of Abu Dhabi Police
• 600 577777
• Sunday - Thursday: 7:30 AM - 8:00 PM
NEED:
• Passport
• Original Driving License
• Original Emirates ID
• Original Vehicle Registration Card
• Vehicle Test (PERFORMED THERE?)
• Insurance Policy for 13 Months
• Fees (105 and 2 months 20 AED fine)
• (Bring also copies of passport, visa, emirates ID, driving license, Insurance, Vehicle Registration Card, Husband NOC)

TRANSFER VEHICLE REGISTRATION FROM ABU DHABI TO DUBAI
1) In Abu Dhabi
WHERE:
• customer service centres of Vehicle Licensing Department, General Directorate of Abu Dhabi Police
• 600 577777
• Sunday - Thursday: 7:30 AM - 8:00 PM
PROCESS:
• Vehicle Inspection
• Switch Plates for Export Plates
NEED:
• Passport
• Emirates ID
• Driving License
• (New AD) Vehicle Registration Card
• Insurance
• Fees (150?)
• (Bring also copies of passport, visa, emirates ID, driving license, Insurance, Husband NOC)
2) In Dubai
WHERE:
• Dubai RTA
PROCESS:
• Vehicle Inspection
• Switch Plates for DXB Plates
• Get new Dubai registration card
NEED:
• Passport
• Emirates ID
• Driving License
• Papers from AD Part
• (New AD) Vehicle Registration Card
• Insurance
• Fees
• (Bring also copies of passport, visa, emirates ID, driving license, Insurance, NEW AD Vehicle Registration Card, Husband NOC)

Thanks ladies, and if this IS correct, I hope posting it up leaves an easy to follow resource for others later =) feedback appreciated!

Latest post on 18 March 2013 - 10:41
Hi ladies I was just wondering if Sakhifa had any success with this it if indeed any other ladies have experience if re registering a car from a different Emirate. We have a car registered in Sharjah but now our visa has changed to Dubai. We have had lots of stories about importing and exporting between Emirates but then we hear that you can register in any Emirate? BUT is this the case if the visa has charged? TIA I have successfully reregistered my car with Dubai plates/Dubai drivers license in a different emirate for the past several years.
Latest post on 18 March 2013 - 10:38
We sold one of our cars last year that was registered in Dubai and the buyer lived in Abu Dhabi so he wanted to re-register it there. The car was de-registered in Dubai and he then had to have a low-loader take it from Dubai traffic department to A.D. traffic department so that it could be registered. He was able to hire transport while he was at the traffic department. Don't know the rules for other Emirates. <em>edited by amelia on 18/03/2013</em>
Latest post on 18 March 2013 - 10:31
Hi ladies I was just wondering if Sakhifa had any success with this it if indeed any other ladies have experience if re registering a car from a different Emirate. We have a car registered in Sharjah but now our visa has changed to Dubai. We have had lots of stories about importing and exporting between Emirates but then we hear that you can register in any Emirate? BUT is this the case if the visa has charged? TIA
Latest post on 14 January 2013 - 12:14
Any of the places will do this....I think the Traffic department across from MoE is most convenient, go early in the morning. Ladies section is always quick. <em>edited by Sakhifa on 14/01/2013</em>
Latest post on 14 January 2013 - 12:02
Really!? Huh... If you could, could you tell me where to go to do the AD registration renewal in Dubai? That would be sooo much simpler...
Latest post on 14 January 2013 - 12:01
The thing is, it's significantly cheaper to renew a Abu Dhabi registration than it is a Dubai registration...(AED 105 versus AED 385) so for that reason alone, you're better off keeping your AD plate. You can complete the registration in any Emirate, but you will still pay the AD fees...don't really understand the logic, but that's UAE! The insurance doesn't matter, it's based on the car value so you don't need to change anything except they will transfer your account to Dubai so you can handle the paperwork there instead.
Latest post on 14 January 2013 - 11:52
I tried to do this and I soon realized it was way more hassle than it was worth. I would recommend that you go directly to the Dubai Traffic Department and ask them all these questions. I had an Arabic-speaking friend call for me and ended up speaking to several people before getting some sort of answer, but it was going to be more paper work than I could be bothered with so I just left it. My license is from a different Emirate than my visa and I've never had any problems. Thanks Sakhifa, so do you mean that you simply renew the registration in Abu Dhabi every year? It's a bit of a pain isn't it since it's only open weekdays and to drive all the way down there? If I decide to do that as well, can I still change my insurance to Dubai or do I need to have Abu Dhabi insurance?
Latest post on 14 January 2013 - 11:44
I tried to do this and I soon realized it was way more hassle than it was worth. I would recommend that you go directly to the Dubai Traffic Department and ask them all these questions. I had an Arabic-speaking friend call for me and ended up speaking to several people before getting some sort of answer, but it was going to be more paper work than I could be bothered with so I just left it. My license is from a different Emirate than my visa and I've never had any problems.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY