Tubes for son's ears | ExpatWoman.com

Tubes for son's ears

Latest post on 14 April 2013 - 13:05

Our four year old has been having negative pressure in his ears for a few months now. The ENT doctor feels that it may be time to have tubes inserted. Anyone had this done for their kids? I am scared as you can tell. Thanks

Latest post on 15 April 2013 - 11:28
Once again thanks a lot to all the ladies who have taken the time to reply. Has anyone had the procedure done in Dubai? Recommendations for a good doctor? I can't find someone here in Qatar and am willing to come to Dubai if there's someone really good. Also do any of you know if there are any restrictions on flying once the procedure is complete. I will have to consider this as I can't be away from home for too long either. Thanks
Latest post on 14 April 2013 - 17:59
Both of my sons had this done at an early age. My eldest son had it done as his hearing was very bad (only about 30% we later learned). He didn't suffer from ear infections, but the glue ear affected his hearing VERY badly. I think he was 4 when he had the op, and he also had his tonsils and adenoids removed at the same time. His adenoids had become enlarged as he used to breathe through his mouth so much. This was nearly 30 years ago, and it absolutely cured the problem. My younger son had grommets inserted TWICE! His hearing wasn't affected but he used to get terrible ear infections - in fact, his eardrum burst twice, with horrible nasty, greeny-brown gunge running down his neck. Really horrid. The grommets work their way out naturally by themselves, usually after 9-12 months. I wouldn't hesitate to have it done, going on my past experience. Remember, your son is at a vital stage of speech development, and poor hearing can hamper that (my elder son had very poor, indistinct speech for a while as a result). Get it done as soon as you can, it's a very minor procedure with fantastic results. The only thing to remember, is that swimming is not advised for a while - water can enter the ear through the tubes. Good luck! <em>edited by lulubaker on 14/04/2013</em>
Latest post on 14 April 2013 - 16:11
My son was 19 months when we realized he had trouble hearing. We took him for a routine check up. We were concerned as well at the time that he was not saying any words. He had a fluid build up in both his ears which effected his hearing and therefore led to a speech delay. We took him to Medcare hospital for the grommet procedure. It was quick and they were really good. His hearing is 100%. In fact the day he had the grommets fitted in he began to respond to sound. His now 2.5 yrs and just beginning to speak. It's really worth having the procedure. Like you, I was worried at first. But trust me it does help.
Latest post on 14 April 2013 - 15:30
Thanks once again. My son has had NO ear infections which is why my husband is questioning the need for tubes...we noticed that he was not hearing as well as he usually does which is why we took him for the first visit. But the negative pressure has been present from then although his hearing has improved recently. Really hard to decide on what to do. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Latest post on 14 April 2013 - 14:03
reason for us was the constant earinfections, which was always solved with antibiotics..(which is also not good). Dr suggested the grommits and we did it. No more antibiotcs and no more earinfections. she di have a check up and grommits are fine in place still. What I understood is that they will fall out from themselves, no need to take them out. Agree with Salamander. Same reasons for us. The grommets fall out naturally. Same reason for DS and the grommets fell out by themselves too.
Latest post on 14 April 2013 - 13:42
reason for us was the constant earinfections, which was always solved with antibiotics..(which is also not good). Dr suggested the grommits and we did it. No more antibiotcs and no more earinfections. she di have a check up and grommits are fine in place still. What I understood is that they will fall out from themselves, no need to take them out. Agree with Salamander. Same reasons for us. The grommets fall out naturally.
Latest post on 14 April 2013 - 13:34
reason for us was the constant earinfections, which was always solved with antibiotics..(which is also not good). Dr suggested the grommits and we did it. No more antibiotcs and no more earinfections. she di have a check up and grommits are fine in place still. What I understood is that they will fall out from themselves, no need to take them out.
Latest post on 14 April 2013 - 13:30
Thank you for the replies. Can I also ask for how long you kept the tubes before removing; I have read online that they may be left inside for a year or so. We first noticed that he was not hearing well which is why we went to the doctor. He was in nursery as well so kept having constant colds which were not helping the situation. Have kept him home for the last two weeks and while there is improvement in the readings, the negative pressure has not gone away. Although we find that he is hearing much better now and has not had a cold for a while. And the xray shows adenoids are normal in size. I am rambling now but can you share the reason why you went in for the procedure. Thanks
Latest post on 14 April 2013 - 13:26
Hi, My daughter had this done last year as she was constantly having ear infections. We were living in South Africa at that time, so operation was done there (but I do believe procedure is the same everywhere).She went in in afternoon and we could take her home in the evening. It is a very small procedure and very common. Nothing to worry about. She reacted bit funny on the anesthetic though. But that differs from child to child.. No side effects, no problems..and more importantly..no ear infections ever since! Good luck!
Latest post on 14 April 2013 - 13:12
My son had this procedure when he was 6 years old. He was admitted in the morning and was able to leave the hospital in the evening ( around 6pm) His hearing has been fantastic ever since!
Latest post on 14 April 2013 - 13:09
DS had this done in the UK when he was about 10 years old, this was a while ago, he spent one full day in the hospital, had the proceedure done under GA in the morning and was allowed home late afternoon. No negative side effects or pain afterwards, he was only a bit woosy from the anesthetic for a few hours. <em>edited by Di@DXB on 14/04/2013</em>

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY