I'm planning on adopting 2 calico kittens | ExpatWoman.com

I'm planning on adopting 2 calico kittens

Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 09:37

I've never had kittens/cats before, I do have plenty of experiance raising my children though LOL.
The kitties will be house cats, my concerns are
1. Basic vaccines to keep them and us safe.
2. I was told thr pee smell will permeate my flat
3 I was also told that they will use our furniture as scratching posts and destroy everything.
So before I make this huge commitment I would really appreciate some ( non suger coated) advice.
Thank you

Latest post on 23 December 2013 - 11:20
Just thought I would share the latest pics from the sweet sisters we adopted, one of the best decisions I've made ( so far) http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa289/Picturealbum-2007/image-3.jpg
Latest post on 30 October 2013 - 07:00
Thank you, tried the water spray works so far.
Latest post on 27 October 2013 - 19:43
Some may not agree but I use a water spray bottle. The idea is to let them know what they are allowed to do and what they not, jumping up on counters and tables is not good behaviour . A quick spray of water gives them quite a jolt and and makes them think twice about where they can and can't jump up. As GE suggested larger stones at the base of pot plants works a treat. By the way they are just adorable.........:) We tried that with a very noisy cat we had, used to wake us up all hours of the night. Only one problem, he decided he liked to play with the spray :) edited by Geordie expat on 27/10/2013 LOL I know ....you do get the odd moggie who loves water, I have a 20 yr old Arabian Mau who loves to jump in the bath and swim......!
Latest post on 27 October 2013 - 13:26
Some may not agree but I use a water spray bottle. The idea is to let them know what they are allowed to do and what they not, jumping up on counters and tables is not good behaviour . A quick spray of water gives them quite a jolt and and makes them think twice about where they can and can't jump up. As GE suggested larger stones at the base of pot plants works a treat. By the way they are just adorable.........:) We tried that with a very noisy cat we had, used to wake us up all hours of the night. Only one problem, he decided he liked to play with the spray :) <em>edited by Geordie expat on 27/10/2013</em>
Latest post on 23 October 2013 - 18:20
Some may not agree but I use a water spray bottle. The idea is to let them know what they are allowed to do and what they not, jumping up on counters and tables is not good behaviour . A quick spray of water gives them quite a jolt and and makes them think twice about where they can and can't jump up. As GE suggested larger stones at the base of pot plants works a treat. By the way they are just adorable.........:)
Latest post on 23 October 2013 - 11:30
Two questions about 2 month old kittens, how do I keep them away from my indoor plants ( actually its only one potted plant its too big to raise it off the ground and putting outside is not an option) and how do I keep them off the dinning table, as a rule I would like for them to learn not to climb on the dinning and kitchen table. TIA I put large stones all around the base of my pot plants, keeps the cats out of the soil. As for the dining table, they need other options to persudae them to stay away. Ours have a large cat climbing frame/toy.
Latest post on 23 October 2013 - 11:22
Two questions about 2 month old kittens, how do I keep them away from my indoor plants ( actually its only one potted plant its too big to raise it off the ground and putting outside is not an option) and how do I keep them off the dinning table, as a rule I would like for them to learn not to climb on the dinning and kitchen table. TIA
Latest post on 23 October 2013 - 11:17
Thank you Gray Girl, they are a joy to have we are all having so much fun with them.
Latest post on 17 October 2013 - 09:17
Aww Zinger, they're gorgeous. Kittens are so playful & cuddly - you'll wonder how you managed to live so long without cats!! All the best :)
Latest post on 17 October 2013 - 00:45
Well we got them and they are absolutely lovely. http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa289/Picturealbum-2007/image.jpg
Latest post on 10 October 2013 - 11:03
@fjcruiser this is Dubai we can just add indoor cats to all the other UN natural elements, thank you for the vet recommendations though.
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 20:49
Just a couple of questions : Why don't you want your cats to go out ? To me it seems quite un-natural to keep any pet indoors 100% of the time, although if they are brought up this way from a young age it shouldn't be a problem. Next question : your pets will be shedding their hairs - hopefully no one is allergic but if you are, it could be difficult to keep your pets indoors or keep them at all. For the cheapest vet : the municipality vet near Mushrif Park. I do not have personal experience but my friend takes her cats there and the vet are very good.For other ailments, it really depends where you live. We use Safa Vets because we live nearby and like their professionalism.
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 18:23
Zinger, sorry I can't recommend any vets - I'm in Doha! Hopefully you'll get some more replies :)
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 18:12
Advice based on your thoughts - do not adopt! She's genuinely trying to seek advice why do you have to be so harsh.. Zinger i wish you the best in your research and hope you find what you are looking for.. Thank you Singarosa, don't worry about that comment clearly those were my thoughts and we have one very clever mind reader.
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 18:09
Thank you ladies, last question :-) I know this is going to add to our families outgoing resources and it's only the surgery and vaccines I'm concerned with so is thr a budget friendly vet you can recommend. Thank you
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 14:53
Zinger, if you already have experience of dogs, fish and turtles then I'm sure you'll easily manage two cats!! Definitely get them spayed/neutered. We had a female that wasn't spayed and every time she was 'in season', she yowled her wee heart out for days on end! Sometimes, male cats can spray (being dominant and to mark the spot as theirs) and some say that neutering them helps to stop this behaviour. Didn't work for two of ours though. Look up Jackson Galaxy's website (he has great advice for problem cats - hopefully yours wont be) but he also gives ideas on how to 'catify' your home so that they feel happy and relaxed and have their own space. I honestly never thought I'd get into cats but they worm their way into your heart! They can be little horrors at times but they have such big (and different) personalities and the great thing is they sleep about 20 hours each day!! Now it's coming into winter, they're great alternatives to hot water bottles to keep you cosy on the sofa!
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 12:48
Advice based on your thoughts - do not adopt! She's genuinely trying to seek advice why do you have to be so harsh.. Zinger i wish you the best in your research and hope you find what you are looking for..
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 12:22
If you have never owned a cat before, you must undertake some research before adopting - it's a lifetime commitment. The first question you have to ask yourself is if I move to another country will I take them with me no matter what the cost? If the answer is no, then don't adopt. This gives good advice: http://www.petfinder.com/pet-adoption/cat-adoption/cat-adoption-first-30-days/ Vaccinating your cats are to keep them safe from harm - not you! They need PCH which consists of two separate vaccines given 3 weeks apart and a vaccine against rabies. These are annual vaccinations. There's also a treatment for fleas and ticks that you can give them (Frontline) and worming tablets approx. every three months. Providing they use a litter tray and you clean it regularly (you have to scoop their pee and poop out daily), there should be no smell! You can buy corrugated cardboard scratching trays or scratching posts which have sisal rope wrapped around them which should deter them from scratching on furniture etc. There are loads of websites which give advice on cat ownership. If you're prepared to put in the time (for example they need their claws cut, ears checked, groomed if longer haired, played with etc) and money, owning a cat is great fun. I grew up with a dog and never interacted with a cat until I met DH who is cat-mad. Now, I can't imagine not having a cat in the house which is just as well - we're moving to Australia next month and shipping our five cats with us! They're family! Happy Googling and good luck x Brilliant thank you, moving wont be a problem we are here indefinitely, I've have lap dogs most of my life but I'm very excited about these kittens. My kids are uber responsible ( they have been great with our turtles and fish) and I can count on them to help out. Will google away :-) Oh any thoughts on neutering/spaying You must get that done as soon as they are old enough
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 10:52
If you have never owned a cat before, you must undertake some research before adopting - it's a lifetime commitment. The first question you have to ask yourself is if I move to another country will I take them with me no matter what the cost? If the answer is no, then don't adopt. This gives good advice: http://www.petfinder.com/pet-adoption/cat-adoption/cat-adoption-first-30-days/ Vaccinating your cats are to keep them safe from harm - not you! They need PCH which consists of two separate vaccines given 3 weeks apart and a vaccine against rabies. These are annual vaccinations. There's also a treatment for fleas and ticks that you can give them (Frontline) and worming tablets approx. every three months. Providing they use a litter tray and you clean it regularly (you have to scoop their pee and poop out daily), there should be no smell! You can buy corrugated cardboard scratching trays or scratching posts which have sisal rope wrapped around them which should deter them from scratching on furniture etc. There are loads of websites which give advice on cat ownership. If you're prepared to put in the time (for example they need their claws cut, ears checked, groomed if longer haired, played with etc) and money, owning a cat is great fun. I grew up with a dog and never interacted with a cat until I met DH who is cat-mad. Now, I can't imagine not having a cat in the house which is just as well - we're moving to Australia next month and shipping our five cats with us! They're family! Happy Googling and good luck x Brilliant thank you, moving wont be a problem we are here indefinitely, I've have lap dogs most of my life but I'm very excited about these kittens. My kids are uber responsible ( they have been great with our turtles and fish) and I can count on them to help out. Will google away :-) Oh any thoughts on neutering/spaying
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 10:29
If you have never owned a cat before, you must undertake some research before adopting - it's a lifetime commitment. The first question you have to ask yourself is if I move to another country will I take them with me no matter what the cost? If the answer is no, then don't adopt. This gives good advice: http://www.petfinder.com/pet-adoption/cat-adoption/cat-adoption-first-30-days/ Vaccinating your cats are to keep them safe from harm - not you! They need PCH which consists of two separate vaccines given 3 weeks apart and a vaccine against rabies. These are annual vaccinations. There's also a treatment for fleas and ticks that you can give them (Frontline) and worming tablets approx. every three months. Providing they use a litter tray and you clean it regularly (you have to scoop their pee and poop out daily), there should be no smell! You can buy corrugated cardboard scratching trays or scratching posts which have sisal rope wrapped around them which should deter them from scratching on furniture etc. There are loads of websites which give advice on cat ownership. If you're prepared to put in the time (for example they need their claws cut, ears checked, groomed if longer haired, played with etc) and money, owning a cat is great fun. I grew up with a dog and never interacted with a cat until I met DH who is cat-mad. Now, I can't imagine not having a cat in the house which is just as well - we're moving to Australia next month and shipping our five cats with us! They're family! Happy Googling and good luck x
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 10:05
What?
Latest post on 09 October 2013 - 09:55
Advice based on your thoughts - do not adopt!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY