Are you honest on FB? | ExpatWoman.com

Are you honest on FB?

Latest post on 02 December 2013 - 20:24

Do you write something flattering on a person's profile page/random pic upload/child/ pouting, posing selfies when you don't mean it?

Sometimes I read things on FB that make me wonder. .......

Latest post on 04 December 2013 - 01:17
I admit, I use FB a lot, mainly so I don't have to send emails back home and can keep my family updated on where I am etc.... I actually considered deleting it/putting it on hold because I got so tired of the whole thing. But then I received a couple of messages from people back home who said they really enjoyed looking at my travel pictures as it gave them a bit of an escape from their problems that they were dealing with (in this cases an illness and a divorce) I try not to be too "in your face" with the pictures, since I know not everyone is lucky enough to be able to travel as I do, so I usually just post the album with some simple caption of where it was taken and leave it up to my friends if they want to look or not. What realllllly annoys me is those people who CONSTANTLY post pictures of their kids. Ok, we get it, yes they are adorable but surely there is something else in your life worth posting about? Your husband? Those nice flowers or sunset you saw today? I do realise though that many of my friends in my age group are all settling down and getting married so it's going to happen. So if anyone overshares about their kids I just ignore or hide the posts. The one that really doesn't make sense to me is when parents post messages to their kids like "my baby's first birthday, love you sooooooooo much sooooooo proud to be your mum" like do your babies have FB? Can they read? I don't get it..... okay if it were written in a diary or something you can give to them later I kind of understand that.... but on FB? Why??
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 21:22
TDB, lol too true, everything you said, esp the bitstrips thing! I just hide posts from certain people, especially the ones who post a constant stream of pouty selfies. For me facebook is really babybook, it's how I keep track of my friend's kids and I actually don't mind all the "braggy" updates, you can either brag about your kids or complain about your kids, bragging is nicer really, it's ok for parents to be proud. I do think there is a bit of oversharing in regards to first poos in potties etc but I think as a mum you get immune to the potty talk and forget that not eveyone else is. I have customised friend lists and if I think an update is only funny to say, the other parents, I might not share it with my single friends. I don't tend to post on my homepage often though, I mostly use facebook for the groups these days. I am honest, but always with the motto, "if you can't say anything nice...".
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 21:01
I am very surprised about anyone in reality post real photos about themselves or what they do or where they hang out, so many people tend to *think* they are celebrities and keep- G+, Twitter FB and the list go on- First it shows me how empty their lives are, Second it shows me how they are looking for compliments from anybody - they know or not - to make them feel good about themselves. I usually do not like or comment on such things, however a friend posted a photo of her new born bundle of joy or got engaged .... more than this, it makes me feel strange about why people do this? what I post on FB is rather than funny stories or funny news, more than this I do not think I should post anything personal about me or my family, IMHO: people who do this should go and live in a glass house, so everybody can be updated about their daily life, posting personal things is so pathetic. gosh I'm really pathetic then !! yet you write chapter and verse about your private life on here..... do you feel it's different because you're relatively anonymous on a forum ? I think you just don't get the whole social network thing and that's ok, lots of people don't but you could maybe be a bit less rude about those of us who do !! the majority of us are just ordinary people, we don't think of ourselves as celebrities, don't need compliments to feel good and don't have empty lives - we just like to keep in touch with people and be aware of what's going on in the world, especially those of us who live a long way from home and are maybe keeping our children away from their grandparents etc.... But it's not for me to say who has the empty life, each to their own... Ok, I admit I did write things about my self over here, but hey, if we passed each other in a mall or the street, would you recognise me? I wouldn't even recognise you either, so I am still anonymous and so you do, No one knows where I do shop, hang out, did last night or even the same night last year, so I don't like sharing things about me in such a social network allow other to match face with stories, still over here I feel sort of safe, I can talk as much as I can talk, share real life experience, specially with posters ask about advices or what do in this or that situation.... yep I am still anonymous over here, I share what I want to share without too much details....If you feel that this post was about you, well I am sorry that you felt that way, still this is my opinion and I am sure I am entitled to. Have a good morning. I am quite surprised. Wow. Well I use facebook to connect with family and close friends, also to re-connect to very old friends who I had lost contact with pre-internet days. I have a small amount, about 60 and they are mostly family, and they are always asking me for updates and photos. If I don't post for a while I get private messages asking if all is ok. I have turned down many friends requests, as they would not 'fit' on my facebook page. I do not care for pages of funny hilarious mumbo, I use a stupid blog for all that stuff. This is social net working. Broken down into 3 words, but the first one, being social, is the biggest clue to what it is all about. If people don't like my photos then they can ignore them. If they say my kids look ugly or my dress is weird then I would delete their comment and block them, but really there is only 1 of my friends who can be a little bit tactless, and I often customize my posts so that she cannot see them. I try not to be honest in other peoples, and sometimes I like something when I should not have done, but I am not an avid newsfeed reader.
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 19:36
I've never yet unfriended anyone - what's the point ? If you don't like what they post you just ignore it...
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 19:01
Many of you seem annoyed by your FB friends. Why not defriend them or put them on hide? I do check in a lot and I would hope that if any of my "friends" find me annoying, that they would just defriend me. I don't like having many friends on FB anyway and I try to keep my list as low as possible with frequent defriendings...
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 15:38
The real question isn't about FB, but are you honest on EW? Everyone is so namby pamby when women come on here with stupid dilemmas of their own making! not EVERYONE !! lol
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 15:26
The real question isn't about FB, but are you honest on EW? Everyone is so namby pamby when women come on here with stupid dilemmas of their own making! Lol think you just answered your own question.
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 15:25
Well....this is what I could be posting over there.... Crazy people on my WhatsApp list! 1. Someone on his status "Sleeping" ...since 3 Days! He's Probably dead. 2. Someone never sends anything, then at night Once a week/month he says: "Good night" 3. Someone is 'sick' since the time I added him. 4. Someone is "Driving" ...since 5 days! I guess he reached USA!! 5.Someone sends me back exactly what I sent to him.. Seems like he wants to play table tennis! 6. Someone still has his status as "Happy New Year!" .. Guess his time stood still 7. Someone's status is "Happy" since one Month. Living in Paradise? 8. Someone is always 'Available'.. How free Are you????? 9. From first day their status is, 'Hey there! I'm using WhatsApp' I Know !!!! That's why you're on my list! 10. Someone writes "urgent calls only"... Dont get it.. Are u in the police or ambulance service? 11. Some says, "can't talk. Whatsapp only" Dude then throw away ur phone.. You are not using the phone's Primary function!!
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 15:19
The real question isn't about FB, but are you honest on EW? Everyone is so namby pamby when women come on here with stupid dilemmas of their own making!
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 15:15
Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet - Bitstrips - what the.... DT I don't hate using it, just HOW certain people use it is annoying. For the most part it's nice to post piccies and coo over other people's babies. oh I love Bitstrips !! lol did a lovely one to take the mick out of my husband having a post-brunch snooze :D I agree with gushing over rubbish pics - i'd rather say nothing - as TDB says, there's a difference between being honest and being tactless.. fortunately i'm too old to have newborn babies in my feed, apart from grandchildren and I haven't yet had any with their own accounts !! lol
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 15:15
I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love seeing photos of friends and family. And some banter with friends every now and then. I do hate that i end up wasting so much time on it sometimes. Self inflicted i know! Bitstrips.... awful.... interesting to see how people see themselves though!
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:56
well, this has turned into a nice little b!tchfest, hasn't it.... why do you all bother if you hate it so much ? I love it, but that could be because I'm so much older and just use it as a way of seeing what friends and family are up to.
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:56
I don't DT, my last post was in December 2012. But why do people gush over a picture where the person looks awful? Why not just keep quiet? I could never understand that.
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:49
well, this has turned into a nice little b!tchfest, hasn't it.... why do you all bother if you hate it so much ?
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:45
I'm also loling really hard at TDB & Lady Bee's posts! It's so true!!!!
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:34
TDB have been laughing reading your posts, it's so true.
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:28
I also have a couple who are going thru a nasty divorce. I cannot believe all the vile posts the mother constantly updates with. Once you post it is there forever for your children to to hear about or maybe see. A few of my friends are family court attorneys and they all say during the first session they advise clients to STOP posting on facebook and to go thru the photos and remove tags
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:28
oh another one i hate.. parents making FB accounts for their newborn babies.. then the baby supposedly posting i miss mama or having fun with mama and baba.. seriously get a life.. i barely had time when my DD was born i don't know where they get their time from.. they even posted pics of his circumscion on his FB and was like my Circumscision day.. that just made me pull my hair.. another pic of the baby with him covered in money (500s and 1000s) and under the pic written richie rich.. i just unfriended the baby lool.. i've got like 3 friends with FB of their babies.. I know people who have a FB page for their pets!!! All of that is really disturbing......
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:24
most obnoxious checkins are the ER's or hospitals wihtout any explanation I hide those with many checkins OMG yes.. seriously.. ATTENTION SEEKERS.. i feel sorry for them
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:24
most obnoxious checkins are the ER's or hospitals wihtout any explanation I hide those with many checkins That screams attention so people will say " what has happened" are you okay etc? My name for it is Bragbook as that is all people seem to do on it
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:23
oh another one i hate.. parents making FB accounts for their newborn babies.. then the baby supposedly posting i miss mama or having fun with mama and baba.. seriously get a life.. i barely had time when my DD was born i don't know where they get their time from.. they even posted pics of his circumscion on his FB and was like my Circumscision day.. that just made me pull my hair.. another pic of the baby with him covered in money (500s and 1000s) and under the pic written richie rich.. i just unfriended the baby lool.. i've got like 3 friends with FB of their babies.. I know people who have a FB page for their pets!!! are they okay?
most obnoxious checkins are the ER's or hospitals wihtout any explanation I hide those with many checkins
Has anyone seen "THE OTHER" message box? everyone has one, next to the inbox sign. Its where all the messages go from people who are not your friend....... lots of messages from weirdos in mine LOL
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:22
oh another one i hate.. parents making FB accounts for their newborn babies.. then the baby supposedly posting i miss mama or having fun with mama and baba.. seriously get a life.. i barely had time when my DD was born i don't know where they get their time from.. they even posted pics of his circumscion on his FB and was like my Circumscision day.. that just made me pull my hair.. another pic of the baby with him covered in money (500s and 1000s) and under the pic written richie rich.. i just unfriended the baby lool.. i've got like 3 friends with FB of their babies.. I know people who have a FB page for their pets!!!
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:21
oh another one i hate.. parents making FB accounts for their newborn babies.. then the baby supposedly posting i miss mama or having fun with mama and baba.. seriously get a life.. i barely had time when my DD was born i don't know where they get their time from.. they even posted pics of his circumscion on his FB and was like my Circumscision day.. that just made me pull my hair.. another pic of the baby with him covered in money (500s and 1000s) and under the pic written richie rich.. i just unfriended the baby lool.. i've got like 3 friends with FB of their babies..
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:19
TDB, almost 3000: You must join the Frivolous Thread. About FB: I use it to keep up with friends abroad and to keep them updated about me (instead of sending numerous emails back and forth). I have a very limited number of FB friends, only those I'm really interested in, and I only accept requests from people I want to keep updated about my life. And yes, I'm honest, but if I have nothing to say I don't, so people who don't know me might think I'm only bragging about how great my life is. But then again, their not on my FB, so who cares.
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:19
I know dinks! One friend constantly talks about so and so winning the swimming gala, and how she is sending her DDs back to boarding school and then posts *reaches for wine* Anyone who hashtags should be smacked, hard. My friend only posts well done xxxx brag,brag,brag nothing else, not even a hashtag LOL The worst thing is most of the time it is hugely exaggerated (my DD is at the same school) or a big fat lie. It makes me wonder why people feel the need to do this, each to their own I suppose.
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:17
I know dinks! One friend constantly talks about so and so winning the swimming gala, and how she is sending her DDs back to boarding school and then posts *reaches for wine* Anyone who hashtags should be smacked, hard. I so agree with the hashtags!!!
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:10
I have a friend who recently got FB, all her posts are brags about her children nothing else, its soooo cringe
Latest post on 03 December 2013 - 14:01
i hate people liking their own picture, check in, or post.. it's just annoying lol did you guys see the post that went viral about the gf tatooing her bfs face on her arm.. that was hilarious

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY