Can an iPhone purchased here be used in other countries | ExpatWoman.com

Can an iPhone purchased here be used in other countries

Latest post on 21 December 2013 - 10:25

If I buy an iPhone here can It be used in other countries? Sorry if this is a silly question but I've always had a bb or android phone which are ok and I've seen questions here about phones being locked. Thank you

Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 16:16
Can I use the above for my IPad to get Facetime? Yes. Essentially you need to jailbreak using evasi0n - making sure you read all the instructions very carefully and follow them to the letter - and then use Cydia to install the FT activator. That might sound complicated, but it's actually *much* easier than it used to be. Google will find you all the answers you need, but of course ultimately you do it at your own risk. When I updated to IOS7 on my iphone FT appeared but it didn't on the Ipad That suggests that the iPhone isn't a UAE model but the iPad is. If the iPhone *is* a UAE model, then you got lucky there, and it's possible FT may disappear again after a future update. edited by Madge_Gustard on 08/01/2014 Thanks
Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 16:08
The question of whether Apple will replace an iPhone with a broken screen depends on local consumer laws and the type of warranty you have. The standard Apple warranty specifically *excludes* accidental damage, but then so does just about every warranty for every product ever. If you have bought the extended AppleCare Plus warranty you are guaranteed to get your phone replaced in case of accidental damage, but there is a limit of two free replacements. Local consumer laws may override the accidental damage exclusion in the standard warranty. Here in the UAE, well... good luck... <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 08/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 15:57
Can I use the above for my IPad to get Facetime? Yes. Essentially you need to jailbreak using evasi0n - making sure you read all the instructions very carefully and follow them to the letter - and then use Cydia to install the FT activator. That might sound complicated, but it's actually *much* easier than it used to be. Google will find you all the answers you need, but of course ultimately you do it at your own risk. When I updated to IOS7 on my iphone FT appeared but it didn't on the Ipad That suggests that the iPhone isn't a UAE model but the iPad is. If the iPhone *is* a UAE model, then you got lucky there, and it's possible FT may disappear again after a future update. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 08/01/2014</em>
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 15:46
mrsb. So sorry to hear this. I've read lots about the screen breaking easily - iStyle told me they'll just replace the phone if still under warranty but a friend told me that's not true, she had to replace the screen at a cost. The more I look into buying one, the more confused I get! In Australia, Apple will replace a broken phone for years after purchase - my eldest son is on his third iPhone 3 in a few years. But, I think here it is a little more difficult to organise this, but it want my phone replaced, not repaired. I will be really pushing for a replacement.
Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 15:32
mrsb. So sorry to hear this. I've read lots about the screen breaking easily - iStyle told me they'll just replace the phone if still under warranty but a friend told me that's not true, she had to replace the screen at a cost. The more I look into buying one, the more confused I get!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 15:28
Hi,just wondering if anyone decided to buy an iPhone 5S here and feedback? I have the new iPhoneS. My husband replaced my not so old iPhone 4 about 3 weeks ago and I really didn't want it replaced. It worked well and I was happy with it. This new phone has been nothing but trouble. Someone has to call me 2/3 times before it actually registers on my phone. Also, the screen is now fading in and out, going tartan and then locking. The only way to unlock it is to just leave it for a hour or so and suddenly it is OK again. I will have to take it back to the phone shop for repair - inconvenient. I have NOT dropped or bumped it. I have a soft cover to protect it and I am so very careful with my things. I am disappointed a s my iPhone4 was great.
Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 15:28
Wow M_G. Any recommendations on where to buy?
Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 15:14
Thanks to the "evasi0n" jailbreak, there's a pretty safe and easy way of getting FT onto a UAE-market iPhone or iPad running iOS7. And you can still de-jailbreak the device to remove FT should you need to get any warranty work done. edited by Madge_Gustard on 08/01/2014 Can I use the above for my IPad to get Facetime? When I updated to IOS7 on my iphone FT appeared but it didn't on the Ipad Thanks
Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 15:11
Thanks to the "evasi0n" jailbreak, there's a pretty safe and easy way of getting FT onto a UAE-market iPhone or iPad running iOS7. And you can still de-jailbreak the device to remove FT should you need to get any warranty work done. <em>edited by Madge_Gustard on 08/01/2014</em>
Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 15:02
What kind of feedback do you want? Best places to buy it, experience of using it? Hi. Places to buy please. I have specs written down as previously recommended by you and Ruth M so I won't sound too much like a dinosaur at the store (Unlocked, UK, GSM, not CDMA etc). Not too familiar with electronics shops here! Would love to have FT otherwise would go to Apple store for warranty reasons. Thanks a bunch!
Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 14:17
What kind of feedback do you want? Best places to buy it, experience of using it?
Latest post on 08 January 2014 - 13:21
Hi,just wondering if anyone decided to buy an iPhone 5S here and feedback?
Latest post on 21 December 2013 - 14:31
Thank you very much ladies
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 21 December 2013 - 11:20
Yes I had mine through Etisalat and was able to use different sims, even in Holland.
Latest post on 21 December 2013 - 11:02
iPhones sold in the UAE should be GSM. Unless blocked by the service provider they should work in Europe (I don't know all countries) but not on all networks in US. The US uses some different bands and the majority of their networks are CDMA (Sprint, Verizon and U.S. Cellular). My UAE iPhone 4s from Etisalat and my iPhone 5 from Du are not blocked and work in the UK on O2 without an issue. But still no FaceTime. I am just copying this from a post on another forum. Bands UAE networks use: Du - band 3 (1800 MHz) Etisalat - band 3 and 7 (1800 MHz, 2600 MHz) Bands UK networks use: O2 - band 20 (800 DD) Vodafone - band 20 and 7 (800 DD, 2600MHz) 3 UK - band 20 and 3 (800 DD, 1800 MHz) EE - band 20, 3 and 7 (800 DD, 1800 MHz, 2600MHz) So in summary for a phone to be fully operational across all networks in both UK and UAE you need: Band 3 (1800 MHz) Band 7 (2600 MHz) Band 20 (800DD) iPhone 5s: Model A1457 covers all these bands so just check the box to see which model you are buying. Model A1453 which is the US model does not cover band 7. So be aware of where grey imports are from. You'll need to check the country you are visiting to ensure the band is covered by your iPhone.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 21 December 2013 - 10:46
Yes you can:) I had an Iphone and used it in the UK. Got the "3" unlimited data package and was online for 3 weeks lol.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY