He wants real food! | ExpatWoman.com

He wants real food!

Latest post on 28 February 2014 - 16:59
Hi lmorgan and kiwispiers I can't believe how time flies. I wanted to say thank you for your advice and ideas. Although I haven't answered before, I have taken your advice on board and have ziplocked chopped veggies in the fridge! I have also tried fresh fruit and veg. Great success for melon and cheese. I am going to make some chicken balls soon. I have 1 of Annabel karmel's book and have made some recipes that I already make for my DD so it's good for both. I don't have a nanny at home, DS goes to nursery. The helper there was amazed that he was eating the same stuff as a grown up! Again thank you very much for your suggestions.
Latest post on 08 February 2014 - 13:33
Honestly BLW is a bit of a pain in this respect, I've had one kid who loved being fed purees and another who exclusively self fed from 6 months and I will be truthful, as much as I think all feeding should be baby led (whatever feeding style your baby leads you to) from my perspective purees was easier, less mess and less waste. I think the batch freeze option doesn't really work that well with blw, what you are better to do is batch "prep" once a week, slicing lots of fruits and vegetables into finger food sized pieces. Think the shape/size of chunky french fries. You can do this with pumpkin/squash, potato, watermelon, zuchinni, carrot, sweet potato etc. Also florets of cauliflower and broccoli and strawberries washed and chopped in half. Store all in ziplocks in fridge. The vegies are best roasted but could be microwaved if you didn't let them get too mushy (you need to allow a good 10 minute sint he microwave though, might be best to roast a small batch each night and then zap or give cold during the day). I bought a square waterproof bedsheet thing from ikea which I used waterproof side up under the highchair so that I didn't feel bad about recycling all the dropped food pieces back up for second and third attempts, and I reccommend the ikea antilop highchair as you can hose it off and even put it through the dishwasher to clean it. For meat poach and shred some chicken or slow cook some lamb and store it in its own stock (you could freeze it this way too)give the meat in shredded chunks and give the stock/broth in a cup. I think the biggest risk with BLW is giving too much in the way of toast/bread crackers etc as these are a convenient finger food but lacking in nutritional value. As your baby gets a better pincer grip you can give berries and peas etc and start chopping food into smaller pieces. Also set aside meat and vegies, rice pasta etc from your own dinner each night (you can batch freeze small cooked portions of pasta and rice to zap when needed). Presumably you have a nanny at home who is in charge of feeding while you are at work? Make sure they understand what is appropriate for self feeding and that you baby must be supervised at all times while eating.
Latest post on 08 February 2014 - 13:25
My 9 month baby is mostly on finger foods now and I hardly feed him at all. Have a look at annabel karmel's website or books as she tells you what stuff can be frozen. Chicken or fish meatballs freeze and microwave well and you can add veggies into the mix for that. I usually give mine fresh fruit and veg that doesn't need any cooking during the week. Avocado, strawberries, orange, banana, tomatoes etc and then give him things like carrot and broccoli when I have more time. Cheese, toast, boiled egg, pitta and hummus, all are great quick foods too. Hope that helps a bit!
Latest post on 07 February 2014 - 23:49
Hello ladies, DS is now 8 months old and started on solids just over 2 months ago. He really likes his food but seems to prefer real food as opposed to purees. I've prepared a couple of chicken dishes (soup / with tomato sauce) and a couple of fish dishes which I have frozen so I don't have to cook everyday. I still make vegetable purees though. I am afraid that freezing tiny bits of vegetables will mean that they go dry once microwaved and won't be nice to eat. As I am working full time, cooking fresh everyday is not an option. What do you mums do? Any ideas / good recipes anyone would be willing to share? Also, he wants to feed himself! Not that I am complaining since I am still feeding DD who is 4 to make sure that she gets some food in! But I am just a bit short of ideas. Is anyone doing Baby Led Weaning? What do you actually cook? Anything you can do in batch, freeze and microwave as needed? Any suggestion appreciated. Thank you

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY