Oscar, what do you think? | ExpatWoman.com

Oscar, what do you think?

Latest post on 03 March 2014 - 18:31

What do you think the outcome of the trial will be?
Very sad all round.

Latest post on 12 April 2014 - 06:29
He can't remember when someone shot at him? Which year it was? He can't remember who he called to come and pick him up? He can't remember who collected his car? His defence seem to think it is acceptable to send someone out facing a murder charge like this??? She never made a sound when she was shot?? My admiration to that mother who sits there and watches him every day !
Latest post on 11 April 2014 - 17:59
Has anyone who is watching the trial changed their opinion? That prosecutor is certainly giving him a grilling. I feel that it's almost like a Dr Phil show! I was thinking the other day it was a bit like reality TV......( not a big fan ). I feel that it shouldn't have been televised...the way the cameras keep on zooming in on her poor mom and his sobbing sister......my heart just aches for them. I know this comes with fame but the TV's in the court room just give the whole thing a circus atmosphere......much like the OJ trial. I thought maybe Dr Phil might probably cut through the chase faster it being a 'relationship' subject! True...maybe a bit of anger management would have helped him, but too late now. <em>edited by Nomad on 11/04/2014</em>
Latest post on 11 April 2014 - 17:56
Has anyone who is watching the trial changed their opinion? That prosecutor is certainly giving him a grilling. I feel that it's almost like a Dr Phil show! I was thinking the other day it was a bit like reality TV......( not a big fan ). I feel that it shouldn't have been televised...the way the cameras keep on zooming in on her poor mom and his sobbing sister......my heart just aches for them. I know this comes with fame but the TV's in the court room just give the whole thing a circus atmosphere......much like the OJ trial. I thought maybe Dr Phil might probably cut through the chase faster it being a 'relationship' subject!
Latest post on 11 April 2014 - 17:41
Has anyone who is watching the trial changed their opinion? That prosecutor is certainly giving him a grilling. I feel that it's almost like a Dr Phil show! I was thinking the other day it was a bit like reality TV......( not a big fan ). I feel that it shouldn't have been televised...the way the cameras keep on zooming in on her poor mom and his sobbing sister......my heart just aches for them. I know this comes with fame but the TV's in the court room just give the whole thing a circus atmosphere......much like the OJ trial.
Latest post on 11 April 2014 - 17:36
Has anyone who is watching the trial changed their opinion? That prosecutor is certainly giving him a grilling. I feel that it's almost like a Dr Phil show!
Latest post on 11 April 2014 - 15:15
Has anyone who is watching the trial changed their opinion? That prosecutor is certainly giving him a grilling.
Latest post on 08 April 2014 - 23:20
I'm very interested to see how it will pan out, on the the bare details we know I can't see how it was an accident.
Latest post on 08 April 2014 - 23:13
Classic case of someone losing their temper to such an extent that they loose control completely . I don't doubt he is very remorseful and sorry for what he did but it's too late now.
Latest post on 08 April 2014 - 22:57
Wish I had the time to read all the comments here but just wondering if SA law would work differently from UK law? Remember listening to the first days of the triall and thinking if that was my lawyer I may have sacked him on the spot! Kids off school so not much news time here, but when Oscar started yesterday (apart from the apology) I felt he was fumbling.
Latest post on 08 April 2014 - 22:25
I think he is guilty but his lawyers will get him off the hook.
Latest post on 08 April 2014 - 22:19
What do you think of Oscar's testimony ? He certainly appears to be a broken man.
Latest post on 14 March 2014 - 14:10
If he is not convicted, it will rest solely with the police and their screw-ups. I really doubt they can charge him with pre-meditated murder now that the lawyer had dropped their ascertain that he had his prosthetic legs on while he was shooting, I thought that was the crux of their case for pre-meditation. Looks like the prosecutors are scared to put the original detective, Botha, on the stand. He was a real loose cannon.
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 20:33
Worth remembering too, this is The Prosecution Case, so things are going to look bad for OP. Will be completely different when the Defence Case is on. (Not that I have any leanings either way, just think the whole thing is very sad for all involved.)
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 18:48
This is it - everyone has different ideas of rudeness and belittlement and of course nationality certainly affects that.
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 14:18
The defence lawyer is a rude man intimidating witnesses and taking high risks - giving out phone numbers? Telling the first female witness that she was mistaken as another witness who was a male radiologist said something different ? Going on about how R could not have screamed due to the extensive brain damage she had? He is a risk taker for sure - lucky he doesn't have a jury to contend with.. Defence lawyers are supposed to confuse witnesses and try to discredit them. That is how they get their clients a 'not guilty' verdict when all evidence is stacked against them. He is doing a brilliant job and I dont think he is rude. He is doing what he is paid very well to do.
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 13:39
Exactly, it is all on the shoulder of one judge. The damming evidence so far, is that ALL of the neighbours heard a female screaming. The Dr. had a good answer when the lawyer again, tried to state that it was Oscar's screams he heard, he answered something to the effect, 'it could have been him, if he had two different voices". <em>edited by mum2girls on 07/03/2014</em>
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 12:27
The definition does say some degree of planning involved/previous consideration, but you are right who knows and it's at the judges discretion ultimately. Premeditation Legal Definition: (US not SA) [url=http://www.duhaime.org/LegalDictionary/P/Premeditation.aspx'>link[/url'> [i'>"Premeditation means the defendant formed the specific intent to kill the victim for some period of time, however short, before the actual killing. Deliberation means that the intent to kill was formed while defendant was in a cool state of blood and not under the influence of a violent passion suddenly aroused by sufficient provocation. Significantly, however, cool state of blood does not mean an absence of passion and emotion. Rather, under state law, a defendant may deliberate, may premeditate although prompted and to a large extent controlled by passion at the time. Indeed, if the design to kill was formed with deliberation and premeditation, it is immaterial that defendant was in a passion or excited when the design was carried into effect. Thus a killing committed during the course of a quarrel or scuffle may yet constitute first degree murder provided the defendant formed the intent to kill in a cool state of blood before the quarrel or scuffle began and the killing during the quarrel was the product of this earlier formed intent. Additionally, it is sufficient that the processes of premeditation and deliberation occur prior to, and not simultaneously with, the killing."[/i'>
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 12:18
In law, how is pre-meditated even defined? one scenario is a murderer thinking he will murder someone in the future (tomorrow) so having rope/bin bags/other murdery-type equipment and plotting it all out, but another might think they are going to shoot someone one minute in the future through a bathroom door - how is the length of time determined for it to be pre-mediated or not?
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 12:14
QueenL, he IS being tried for pre-meditated murder, those are the charges against him. . So does this mean that if he is found not guilty for pre-meditated murder, then he might not get a lesser charge, that the verdict is either guilty of pre-meditated murder or accident, those are the two options? If this is the case then he could be let off scot free.
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 11:49
I think perhaps there was some sort of altercation, threats from OP and she ran into the bathroom with her phone (?), locked the door and she may have threatened to call the police, or expose something about him. In a fit of anger (or panic at what could ensue) shots were fired. Realizing what he had done and probably with remorse, he tried to cover his tracks saying he thought he was shooting an intruder. I don't think it was pre-meditated, more a crime of passion. I don't know anything about the SA legal system, also not sure what the outcome might be, but I would think not guilty to murder, but guilty to manslaughter maybe????. <em>edited by Alismum on 07/03/2014</em>
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 09:04
QueenL, he IS being tried for pre-meditated murder, those are the charges against him. Also, they don't have trials by jury in S. Africa, it is a single judge who will decide, not even a panel of judges.
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 08:43
I just hope that Reeva's family have some closure after this. Who knows what the judgement will be? If in UK, I would hate to think what the ruling would be as all over the place!!
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 08:39
The Dr.'s testimony yesterday was powerful, it definitely lends weight to Oscar's version of events. If it really was pre-meditated would he have been trying to revive her? be as devastated as the Dr. describes? Will be interesting to hear the testimony of the first person who arrived at the scene. I watched something on the crime channel just the other night and that's what indeed happen - the murderer tried to throw people off the scent by attempting revive the person he had murdered. He was found out because of something found under the body. There really are people who can think this quick in a situation.
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 08:37
The Dr.'s testimony yesterday was powerful, it definitely lends weight to Oscar's version of events. If it really was pre-meditated would he have been trying to revive her? be as devastated as the Dr. describes? Will be interesting to hear the testimony of the first person who arrived at the scene. I don't think anyone is saying here that it was pre meditated - after all if you are going to kill someone then you would not do it in your bedroom - you would get some thugs to fake a mugging and shooting elsewhere.....sound familiar? ....but it may well have been a moment of jealous madness and rage and he did kill her as opposed to thinking it was a burglar... <em>edited by QueenL on 07/03/2014</em>
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 08:28
The Dr.'s testimony yesterday was powerful, it definitely lends weight to Oscar's version of events. If it really was pre-meditated would he have been trying to revive her? be as devastated as the Dr. describes? Will be interesting to hear the testimony of the first person who arrived at the scene.
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 07:46
Really who locks the bathroom door when they get up to go to the loo at night? Who takes their mobile phone? Someone playing Candy Crush on the loo? Don't think so... The defence lawyer is a rude man intimidating witnesses and taking high risks - giving out phone numbers? Telling the first female witness that she was mistaken as another witness who was a male radiologist said something different ? Going on about how R could not have screamed due to the extensive brain damage she had? He is a risk taker for sure - lucky he doesn't have a jury to contend with.. And really - OP ignored her mother on the first day at court? Surely anyone would at least look at her and say I am sorry..... lots of PR going on here from what he holds to his clean shaven face.... <em>edited by QueenL on 07/03/2014</em>
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 07:43
I was thinking about this last night. The fact is, he deliberately shot *someone* - whether it be his girlfriend or the person he thought was breaking in to steal a bottle of shampoo. So on that basis, he is guilty of murder. I don't even give the pretend intruder angle a second thought because the person or persons didn't exist. The poor woman was terrified and hid in a bathroom to get away from her boyfriend, quite simply that and nothing else. She reminds me of a wee boy I was at school with, there was a house fire and he hid in the airing cupboard inside his room, he thought he would be safe - he wasn't. I normally don't go for this kind of news but this person and the people around him are so disgusting I pay attention out of curiosity as to what depth they will sink to next. The Rosary Beads - Ugh! I grew up with Rosary beads and there is just something about seeing them being used and manipulated by this thug that has me straining at the bit. <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 07/03/2014</em>
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 07:32
I was thinking about this last night. The fact is, he deliberately shot *someone* - whether it be his girlfriend or the person he thought was breaking in to steal a bottle of shampoo. So on that basis, he is guilty of murder.
Latest post on 07 March 2014 - 07:27
The latest pictures of him sitting there hanging onto a Rosary Bead speak volumes. The man is disgusting and hopefully all his beads will do for him his help the Jury (and others) to see him for what he is - a manipulator of the highest order, amongst other things. As for the SA way of doing things, I can well understand now why Shrien Diwani fought tooth and nail not to be extradited and face trial in regard to his wives death. I mean, I understood it before what with him being guilty as well, but even a guilty person deserves a trial that doesn't seem to be modeled on a circus.
Latest post on 06 March 2014 - 15:27
I think he intended to kill her. I believe he had a history of abusive, intimidating behavior, at least that's what his acquaintances and former girlfriend say in the press. I'd be interested in hearing what the ex-GFs say if they are subpoened.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY