Tipping etiquette at haidressers | ExpatWoman.com

Tipping etiquette at haidressers

Latest post on 21 May 2014 - 12:45

I have made an appointment for my first ever Dubai haircut. However, I would like to ask people's opinions on tipping. Are you meant to do this here or do you just pay and go as in the UK? I don't want to make a faux pas here!!!

Latest post on 17 December 2015 - 17:31
I tip my hairdresser depending on the service completed on the day. Relaxer + Treatment ( Package Purchased for 4 Time Use) + Roller Set = 20 AED every 8/10 weeks Treatment + Roller Set bi weekly = 10 AED Braids (removal) for Extensions or Spiral Rods Set = 30 AED My hairdresser in the UK that came to my house South London to Hertfordshire, I'd pay her train fare and give her £5 tip every 3/4 months regardless of service completed as I provided all my own products, heating water and electricity and the tea?
Latest post on 15 December 2015 - 11:47
No no no, no tipping. It's like tipping to your children's teacher for taking good care of your kids, or, indeed, a groceries' packer, who puts my groceries into the bags for me. Every time I visit a hairdresser here, I leave there at least 600 dhs, I pay for the service and get a check. If girls there are feeling underpaid, there are tons of other hairdressers in Dubai they can go work at.
Latest post on 15 December 2015 - 11:16
I have to say it's extremely disappointing to see so many negative comments on here. I tip AED10 each for the hairdresser and girl who washes my hair. I have always tipped in Ireland and here. Although I'm paying for the service, that money goes directly to the company and all they get is a salary which is usually very low and they are on their feet all day, 6 days a week and work hard. It's a sign of appreciation no matter how little you tip and they are always grateful. Sometimes even bringing them a box of chocolates or cookies for them - it's a small token of gratitude and doesn't always have to be money.
Latest post on 14 December 2015 - 12:57
I pay AED 80 for the best short-hair haircut I've ever had (I've had long hair and short hair so categorise them separately) so am more than happy to give a decent tip :D Really? I am about to go short again but for the first time in UAE and I was quoted 60AED from Miral Beauty Salon in Sharjah. Where do you go for yours?
Latest post on 23 October 2014 - 17:16
I pay AED 80 for the best short-hair haircut I've ever had (I've had long hair and short hair so categorise them separately) so am more than happy to give a decent tip :D Could you please share her contact details, I'd like to try her. I paid today 180 aed for a short hair cut and I think it's a lot. Thanks!
Latest post on 25 May 2014 - 15:01
I often do tip, even though I am actually against the idea of tipping. I think that the idea of tipping originated in the USA for waitstaff because they are only paid a few dollars per hour so they need tips to supplement their income. It seems that tipping has now spread to many other professions yet there are also many other professions who don't get tipped but would probably be happy to... But why should we tip anyone working for someone else? For example, do any of you tip the phlebotomist here after getting blood drawn? What about the cashier who rings up your groceries? Would you tip him/her? Those are people who are making just peanuts compared with the actual profits of their employers.... So, nowadays, we tip taxi drivers, car washers, salon employees, gas station attendants, waitstaff, etc. But why do we only tip them and not others?
Latest post on 25 May 2014 - 14:31
AED 80 for a haircut??? Yep. Fabulous Filipina stylist.
Latest post on 25 May 2014 - 14:26
Just to carry on the thread a little longer, I went for my haircut today and I do not have ruined hair - yay! It was all in all a fine experience. However, I did not tip. I know some people are of the opinion that this is possibly the worst thing ever. However, I am a tight northerner!!!!! I have spent my life in small towns in the UK. People do not tip hairdressers etc. Therefore, I actually have no experience of doing so. When I moved here I had only experienced tipping in posh restaurants so I am on a whole new learning curve here! Can someone who tips hairdressers please tell me what you do? Do you just give it to them and say "lovely haircut, I've just paid for it but here's a load more for you personally" ?!! Or if tipping a hair washer do you take money in your hand to the sink so you can pass it over to them as they towel dry your hair? Sorry but in all seriousness I would have felt very awkward doing this. I couldn't see an opportunity to tip the hair washer as she disappeared after washing my hair and I have no idea what her name was. I watched someone else leave the washing basins to see if they passed money over but didn't see it. I may sound a bit dense but new experiences and all that!!! When I pay I put my change back in my purse then take out the tip money and hand it to the stylist..if i'm also tipping the hairwasher I do the same and say here's something for the hair washer or whatever.. I have no idea why I've always tipped - I can't remember the first time I had to pay for my own hair.. I think it's because I feel that i'm paying the salon so it's nice for the stylist to actually receive something for her efforts (yes I know she gets paid !! lol).But I see it as a service and I've always been brought up to tip when receiving a service..(unless the experience was rubbish in which case they don't deserve a tip)..Maybe it's a southern thing...
Latest post on 24 May 2014 - 23:15
Just to carry on the thread a little longer, I went for my haircut today and I do not have ruined hair - yay! It was all in all a fine experience. However, I did not tip. I know some people are of the opinion that this is possibly the worst thing ever. However, I am a tight northerner!!!!! I have spent my life in small towns in the UK. People do not tip hairdressers etc. Therefore, I actually have no experience of doing so. When I moved here I had only experienced tipping in posh restaurants so I am on a whole new learning curve here! Can someone who tips hairdressers please tell me what you do? Do you just give it to them and say "lovely haircut, I've just paid for it but here's a load more for you personally" ?!! Or if tipping a hair washer do you take money in your hand to the sink so you can pass it over to them as they towel dry your hair? Sorry but in all seriousness I would have felt very awkward doing this. I couldn't see an opportunity to tip the hair washer as she disappeared after washing my hair and I have no idea what her name was. I watched someone else leave the washing basins to see if they passed money over but didn't see it. I may sound a bit dense but new experiences and all that!!!
Latest post on 23 May 2014 - 15:12
I have made an appointment for my first ever Dubai haircut. However, I would like to ask people's opinions on tipping. Are you meant to do this here or do you just pay and go as in the UK? I don't want to make a faux pas here!!! I'm from the UK and have always tipped at the hairdresser - don't know anyone who doesn't !! I also tip here, usually some for the hair washer as well.
Latest post on 23 May 2014 - 14:37
AED 80 for a haircut??? What do you pay?
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 23 May 2014 - 14:30
I think tipping is also cultural - in some countries it is a custom and in others, such as Australia, it is not a usual custom. As an Australian (old school), I rarely tip but I do "give" and I think there is a difference. I have limited funds, as do most of us, and so I try to "give" to those in most need rather than those who are already reasonably well employed and in a position to get other tips such as salons, large restaurants etc. So, I choose to give money etc to labours, etc who have a very hard and usually sad life here in the UAE. I am sure the girls in the salon I go to just hate me as they never get a tip. Am I mean?
Latest post on 23 May 2014 - 12:23
AED 80 for a haircut???
Latest post on 22 May 2014 - 20:13
I pay AED 80 for the best short-hair haircut I've ever had (I've had long hair and short hair so categorise them separately) so am more than happy to give a decent tip :D
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 22 May 2014 - 20:02
I must be very stingy, but I rarely tip at salons. Only if I am really happy. In Holland they would look at me as if I have 2 heads if I would try to tip, it's not in our culture to do so. So I guess in 8 years in the desert I have not gotten used to it. I know a little bit of Dutch. I might try putting on an accent next time and save myself a little bit! Lol we are not known to be the most generous people, after all "Going Dutch" is called Dutch for a reason. Yes put on a Dutch accent and you will get away with it. I do tip in restaurants though if the food was nice and/or the service was good. Am I a bit less stingy now? :P
Latest post on 22 May 2014 - 19:55
I must be very stingy, but I rarely tip at salons. Only if I am really happy. In Holland they would look at me as if I have 2 heads if I would try to tip, it's not in our culture to do so. So I guess in 8 years in the desert I have not gotten used to it. I know a little bit of Dutch. I might try putting on an accent next time and save myself a little bit!
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 22 May 2014 - 19:48
I must be very stingy, but I rarely tip at salons. Only if I am really happy. In Holland they would look at me as if I have 2 heads if I would try to tip, it's not in our culture to do so. So I guess in 8 years in the desert I have not gotten used to it.
Latest post on 22 May 2014 - 19:32
Dh50 stylist Dh20 washer (if she was good. If she got the water temp wrong or had long nails....grrr forget it).
Latest post on 22 May 2014 - 19:02
Having worked at a salon when I was young, I would always tip. The shampooers earn peanuts and the stylists don't earn much more. Good hairdressers are hard to find, if you are happy with your hair I would start tipping. I tip whoever washes my hair -- 20dhs -- but I don't tip my stylist. I've been seeing her for seven years -- I followed her when she moved salons -- and she does a fabulous job already. I don't think I'd get better service if I started tipping her as well. A big bottle of Grey Goose at Christmas seems to cover all eventualities anyway. ;) . <em>edited by LadyBee on 22/05/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 May 2014 - 15:55
Hair washer: AED10 Stylist: AED20-30 Mani-pedi: AED20 I would only refrain from tipping if I were very unhappy with the service. In 10 years here I think I may have *not* left a tip once or twice. Staff here are very underpaid and deserve a little extra.
Latest post on 22 May 2014 - 11:52
I rarely go to the salon, but when I do, I tip 10% as long as I'm happy (I try to stick to this rule for any kind of tipping) - which I felt was perhaps cheap (back in the states I tipped more like 20% unless i was unhappy). I recently got the impression that 10% was maybe not the norm here, though, when I gave my hairdresser a 100dhs tip at the end (10% of my bill) and I thought his eyeballs were going to fall out of his head as I handed it to him.
Latest post on 22 May 2014 - 10:04
I used to tip really well everywhere I went but one day I thought to myself - why? I didn't really have an answer so I stopped doing it apart from 3 places I go to and have done for a very long time, and its always given in an envelope to the person its intended for. Plus if there is a service charge on the bill I now no longer tip on top of that apart from one place I go where I really appreciate the effort of the people looking after us. I just feel a bit jaded after tipping for years out of 'pity/compassion etc' because someone was poor and compared to them I wasn't. I now much prefer to chose a place to donate to whereas years ago it was the opposite. I do a lot of things differently now I'm a bit older, your views can change on many things and that has surprised me because I used to think the older you got the more your views were set so to speak. <em>edited by DesertRose1958 on 22/05/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 May 2014 - 09:45
Having worked at a salon when I was young, I would always tip. The shampooers earn peanuts and the stylists don't earn much more. Good hairdressers are hard to find, if you are happy with your hair I would start tipping.
Latest post on 22 May 2014 - 09:45
Having worked at a salon when I was young, I would always tip. The shampooers earn peanuts and the stylists don't earn much more. Good hairdressers are hard to find, if you are happy with your hair I would start tipping.
Latest post on 22 May 2014 - 09:13
I dont tip. I see the owner and my bill is usually over 1000 aed so i think there is no need to tip
Latest post on 22 May 2014 - 09:08
50AEd for hair stylist and 10 for the one who washes my hair... Really? That's another 60 dhs on top of what is already an expensive trim at 280dhs! I'm going to assume no one will be hideously offended if I don't tip :-) LOL!! hope not too... but as a repeat customer I do get served quickly and get great service every time....
Latest post on 21 May 2014 - 20:58
Hair dressers are cheap in sharjah loool. I paid 400 for highlights, full colour stripping & full hair colour, I tipped 40 (10%), 50 for hair cut i tip 20, I pay 20 for eye brows threading I tip 10, & 10 for the girl who washes my hair. I pay 35 for eyebrows threadin at tips & toes but I still tip 10. 10 for mani, 10 for pedi, 30 for massage/ facial as I use the entertainer vouchers. But if I'm paying loads for a hair cut I won't tip. I know the hairdresser well, she's an Arab with 2 kids, she's paid around 2500 so she needs the extras.
Latest post on 21 May 2014 - 18:14
I have made an appointment for my first ever Dubai haircut. However, I would like to ask people's opinions on tipping. Are you meant to do this here or do you just pay and go as in the UK? I don't want to make a faux pas here! Hairdressers in U.K. usually expect a tip! I am more inclined to tip the hair washer, as I presume they will be working for peanuts. Really?! I have never been to a hairdresser in the UK that expects a tip so I am very surprised by that. I have equally never seen anyone in my hairdressers tipping anyone or know anyone that has tipped a hairdresser at home (unless it's Christmas and you're feeling generous!) I'm not inclined to pay anyone any extra when they charge a fortune in the first place although I can see your point about the ladies who wash hair over here.
Latest post on 21 May 2014 - 16:10
I have made an appointment for my first ever Dubai haircut. However, I would like to ask people's opinions on tipping. Are you meant to do this here or do you just pay and go as in the UK? I don't want to make a faux pas here! Hairdressers in U.K. usually expect a tip! I am more inclined to tip the hair washer, as I presume they will be working for peanuts.
Latest post on 21 May 2014 - 16:03
I had a cut a month ago and paid Dhs250 for cut and blowdry and tipped the hairdresses Dhs20 and I think Dhs10 to the lady who washed my hair. Only because I don't really go to the salon that much for my hair. If I was then maybe I won't or I would give less... :)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY