Acceptable or not? | ExpatWoman.com

Acceptable or not?

Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 14:30

Personally, if someone was stopping me from reclying my seat, i would be furious. If you need the extra room, fly business.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2736320/Legroom-ra...

Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 20:29
The seats recline so little i don't see a problem. Children can lie on the floor on a blanket, works for mine. lol I didn't think that was allowed.. What happens when the seatbelt light comes on ? it isn't allowed, some cabin crew turn a blind eye but my little boy wasn't even allowed to sit on the floor in front of us for 5 min to play with his cars let alone sleep there, and even with a bassinet you have to hold them whenever there is turbulence. A friend of mine flew with her little boy as a lap baby and Emirates refused to serve her her meal as she couldn't fold down her tray table with him sleeping on her lap and they wouldn't let her put him on the floor. Luckily the passenger beside her kindly offered to hold him as it was a 14 hour non stop flight and the staff had basically said they wouldn't give a meal unless the tray table could be folded down. If you wanted to BF and asked me if I would put my seat up for that period absolutely I would oblige. BUT when you are done I will recline my seat again. I have a DVT and have to get up regularly to move my leg which gets so cramped especially when the person in front has reclined their seat , however that is their right they have purchased a ticket that offers a reclining seat ( the recline in economy is really minimal ). and that would be fair enough, which is exactly why this is something best sorted by a polite conversation/negotiation. If I was in front of you and you asked me not to recline too much because of your DVT, I would happily oblige, it would be common decency I would think. If I asked you not to recline, as I had a child on my lap and you replied that you had a DVT so felt you needed to for safety's sake, then I would accept that, and probably would see if I could change seats somehow, so that we could all meet our needs as best as possible with the least discomfort/risk. The amount that economy seats recline depends on airline and aircraft type, in my experience some recline a lot! I am not a large person, with smallish build and average height but even I have been in the situation where I couldn't move my legs due to a reclined seat and when pregnant, had a seat back fairly close to touching my bump. It is hard when you have a child on your lap, and you have actually paid extra for their fare, even though they haven't been allocated a seat. Perhaps airlines should give options, seats that don't recline, for a discounted price, seats behind those seats for a slightly higher than usual price. I can't afford business class, but I'd pay a little extra for the guarantee of no recliner in front of me and then no one would feel ripped off. The airlines could use that device, as a means of changing the seats according to fare ;) <em>edited by kiwispiers on 29/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 20:00
The seats recline so little i don't see a problem. Children can lie on the floor on a blanket, works for mine. lol I didn't think that was allowed.. What happens when the seatbelt light comes on ?
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 19:40
Thank you, Doubting Thomas: "So easy for people to say "buy business"...oh how I wish I could afford it but sadly, for those of us in the real world it's a struggle to even afford cattle !!" ... and son2mum10: "I agree with Marroosh we all need to be considerate to others." Life isn't perfect and we can't always have it our way, but we can try to find a win/win solution for ourselves and others, rather than a lose/win one. Unfortunately, the design of plane seats is outside our control so what's the next best solution that ensures we are comfortable and at the same time we're not causing discomfort to the person behind us? Flying BC is the ideal solution, but like DT says, it's hardly realistic for many of us. Maybe slowly reclining the seat only half way so that the person behind isn't suddenly jammed, is another? Or telling the person behind you that you have to recline the seat fully due to medical reasons but you will put it back up for meal times and if needed (e.g. BFing)? Or maybe airlines should just not allow seats to recline by more than 2 inches. This is actually a highly debated topic online and there are many views and opinions about it (just google "reclining seats on planes"), as well as advice: [url=http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/travelers-ed/the-etiquette-of-seat-backs-and-elbow-room'>link[/url'>
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 19:21
What would you do if they said no, they weren't comfortable? Would you keep your seat up? Even if the person in front of you was sleeping with their seat reclined and you wanted to lie back to sleep? I just accept being uncomfortable as part of flying economy. I keep my children occupied and insist they behave and be quiet. I walk my baby around endlessly when he grizzles. I put my seat back up at meal times. Bit I won't keep my seat fully upright for the duration of a long haul flight because the person behind me might feel cramped. I put my seat back, I expected the person in front of me to put their seat back and the person behind me can do so too if they want more room. I know it's worse for tall people but my husband is 6'3" and he has never complained about a reclined seat in front of him. would you really still recline? Like if you were sitting in front of me, all of us with our very well behaved children ;) and I asked you nicely if you could put your seat up a bit, as it was squashing my littlest one, or I didn't have room to breastfeed her etc, (which is something I have actually done) would you honestly just say "nah" and keep reclined? I don't reckon you would. :) My husband is 6 foot 2 and he finds it agony when people fully recline, especially on those emirates planes where the foot rest sort of digs in to your legs. He has actually been left bruised more than once. I've never flown business class in my life, it must be nice to be wealthy enough that you would have the option to do that for a little more comfort. We fly home once a year when our sponsor pays, and there is no way I'd spend half our year's savings for a more comfortable 20 hours of flying. It would be much cheaper to buy one of those devices lol. Easiest is to actually ask the person in front to sit up a bit though, it is a bit less confrontational and I'd like to think that most of the time they would oblige as much as possible. lolacat the trays coming from the middle comes with the downside of not being able to lift the armrests. The bassinet row have these and it does make it less comfortable as you are unable to let your children lay across the seats and on your lap when travelling in a group, the upside of course is no one can recline into you on the bassinet row, but then you get the bassinet row sitters who aren't travelling with babies/kids, which also drives me nuts but is I guess a different thread. I do try to avoid the airlines which advertise seats that "recline that little bit further" as all I can think is "that much more squashed by the person in front" As is the case for many of you, our flights home are huge, 20 hours of flight time plus stops. I actually have nightmares about them for a few weeks beforehand. I honestly don't see why people can't be a bit more considerate towards fellow passengers when it comes to reclining seats. I mean, yes it is more comfortable to fully recline, but are you actually prepared to physically bruise someone, or place them in serious discomfort just to do so? If you wanted to BF and asked me if I would put my seat up for that period absolutely I would oblige. BUT when you are done I will recline my seat again. I have a DVT and have to get up regularly to move my leg which gets so cramped especially when the person in front has reclined their seat , however that is their right they have purchased a ticket that offers a reclining seat ( the recline in economy is really minimal ).
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 19:13
I've been on a flight where the passenger behind me had reclined their own seat but when I reclined mine he started kicking it. I politely asked him to stop and he told me to f off and kicked the seat harder. Eventually cabin crew got involved he started shouting about how uncomfortable he was etc. Cabin crew moved me to BC and I had an amazing flight after that. That is exactly the way to handle it......don't get involved personally get the cabin crew involved , they have the ultimate say. In all my thousands of miles of air travel over the years have only ever come across a few really obnoxious individuals and have always asked the cabin crew for help.They have never disappointed ;)
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 19:10
The seats recline so little i don't see a problem. Children can lie on the floor on a blanket, works for mine. lol
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 18:47
What would you do if they said no, they weren't comfortable? Would you keep your seat up? Even if the person in front of you was sleeping with their seat reclined and you wanted to lie back to sleep? I just accept being uncomfortable as part of flying economy. I keep my children occupied and insist they behave and be quiet. I walk my baby around endlessly when he grizzles. I put my seat back up at meal times. Bit I won't keep my seat fully upright for the duration of a long haul flight because the person behind me might feel cramped. I put my seat back, I expected the person in front of me to put their seat back and the person behind me can do so too if they want more room. I know it's worse for tall people but my husband is 6'3" and he has never complained about a reclined seat in front of him. would you really still recline? Like if you were sitting in front of me, all of us with our very well behaved children ;) and I asked you nicely if you could put your seat up a bit, as it was squashing my littlest one, or I didn't have room to breastfeed her etc, (which is something I have actually done) would you honestly just say "nah" and keep reclined? I don't reckon you would. :) My husband is 6 foot 2 and he finds it agony when people fully recline, especially on those emirates planes where the foot rest sort of digs in to your legs. He has actually been left bruised more than once. I've never flown business class in my life, it must be nice to be wealthy enough that you would have the option to do that for a little more comfort. We fly home once a year when our sponsor pays, and there is no way I'd spend half our year's savings for a more comfortable 20 hours of flying. It would be much cheaper to buy one of those devices lol. Easiest is to actually ask the person in front to sit up a bit though, it is a bit less confrontational and I'd like to think that most of the time they would oblige as much as possible. lolacat the trays coming from the middle comes with the downside of not being able to lift the armrests. The bassinet row have these and it does make it less comfortable as you are unable to let your children lay across the seats and on your lap when travelling in a group, the upside of course is no one can recline into you on the bassinet row, but then you get the bassinet row sitters who aren't travelling with babies/kids, which also drives me nuts but is I guess a different thread. I do try to avoid the airlines which advertise seats that "recline that little bit further" as all I can think is "that much more squashed by the person in front" As is the case for many of you, our flights home are huge, 20 hours of flight time plus stops. I actually have nightmares about them for a few weeks beforehand. I honestly don't see why people can't be a bit more considerate towards fellow passengers when it comes to reclining seats. I mean, yes it is more comfortable to fully recline, but are you actually prepared to physically bruise someone, or place them in serious discomfort just to do so?
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 17:52
Firstly these seat lock things should be banned by all airlines with heavy fines in place for anyone using them. Secondly if passengers want cheaper travel then they should be prepared to have seats close to each other, if you are 8 ft 2 or fat then buy business. The issue is one the airlines need to address by simply giving more leg room and redesigning food trays to come from the center not the seat in front. I'm appalled that there are fights from grown adults on planes over the fact a chair reclines all of 4 inches, it's quite pathetic. The airlines need to take a strong stance on this poor behaviour and make it clear that such behaviour will not be tolerated. If part of your package is that a seat reclines it is no ones right to dictate (except the airline) when you should recline your seat. Airlines won't redesign to give MORE leg room etc, if anything they will be making less as it's all about making money...they are running a business.. So easy for people to say "buy business"...oh how I wish I could afford it but sadly, for those of us in the real world it's a struggle to even afford cattle !! The inventor of this gadget says it's not intended to prevent the seat in front reclining, merely to make the inclining act slower so that the seat doesn't suddenly drop down without warning causing the person behind to have their drink spilled or whatever...
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 16:26
Firstly these seat lock things should be banned by all airlines with heavy fines in place for anyone using them. Secondly if passengers want cheaper travel then they should be prepared to have seats close to each other, if you are 8 ft 2 or fat then buy business. The issue is one the airlines need to address by simply giving more leg room and redesigning food trays to come from the center not the seat in front. I'm appalled that there are fights from grown adults on planes over the fact a chair reclines all of 4 inches, it's quite pathetic. The airlines need to take a strong stance on this poor behaviour and make it clear that such behaviour will not be tolerated. If part of your package is that a seat reclines it is no ones right to dictate (except the airline) when you should recline your seat. I agree these devices should be banned, it's dangerous and nobody can alter the airplane which you do essentially when using it. Never have seen it though.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 16:23
Yes I would, as I barely sleep on a flight anyway. And if I recline, I only go back a little bit. I usually keep my seat my seat up as I don't really find reclined seats comfortable! As for my own leg space comfort, I pay a little extra and get the emergency exit seat. edited by Marroosh on 29/08/2014 If you found reclined seats more comfortable you might change your tune ;) I find reclined seats much more comfortable so I recline on long haul. Travelling with four children is enough of a handful without making it worse :) And that's why I sit next to emergency exit, so I don't have to deal with that.
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 16:20
Firstly these seat lock things should be banned by all airlines with heavy fines in place for anyone using them. Secondly if passengers want cheaper travel then they should be prepared to have seats close to each other, if you are 8 ft 2 or fat then buy business. The issue is one the airlines need to address by simply giving more leg room and redesigning food trays to come from the center not the seat in front. I'm appalled that there are fights from grown adults on planes over the fact a chair reclines all of 4 inches, it's quite pathetic. The airlines need to take a strong stance on this poor behaviour and make it clear that such behaviour will not be tolerated. If part of your package is that a seat reclines it is no ones right to dictate (except the airline) when you should recline your seat.
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 15:56
Yes I would, as I barely sleep on a flight anyway. And if I recline, I only go back a little bit. I usually keep my seat my seat up as I don't really find reclined seats comfortable! As for my own leg space comfort, I pay a little extra and get the emergency exit seat. edited by Marroosh on 29/08/2014 If you found reclined seats more comfortable you might change your tune ;) I find reclined seats much more comfortable so I recline on long haul. Travelling with four children is enough of a handful without making it worse :)
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 15:45
Hahhaa good on you! Some people are just so rude and selfish! If I am on an overnight flight, I understand people want to recline their seat to get some sleep. I always check with the person behind me if they are still comfortable, I want to be comfortable so expect others behind me to want the same. What would you do if they said no, they weren't comfortable? Would you keep your seat up? Even if the person in front of you was sleeping with their seat reclined and you wanted to lie back to sleep? I just accept being uncomfortable as part of flying economy. I keep my children occupied and insist they behave and be quiet. I walk my baby around endlessly when he grizzles. I put my seat back up at meal times. Bit I won't keep my seat fully upright for the duration of a long haul flight because the person behind me might feel cramped. I put my seat back, I expected the person in front of me to put their seat back and the person behind me can do so too if they want more room. I know it's worse for tall people but my husband is 6'3" and he has never complained about a reclined seat in front of him. Yes I would, as I barely sleep on a flight anyway. And if I recline, I only go back a little bit. I usually keep my seat my seat up as I don't really find reclined seats comfortable! As for my own leg space comfort, I pay a little extra and get the emergency exit seat. <em>edited by Marroosh on 29/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 15:42
Hahhaa good on you! Some people are just so rude and selfish! If I am on an overnight flight, I understand people want to recline their seat to get some sleep. I always check with the person behind me if they are still comfortable, I want to be comfortable so expect others behind me to want the same. What would you do if they said no, they weren't comfortable? Would you keep your seat up? Even if the person in front of you was sleeping with their seat reclined and you wanted to lie back to sleep? I just accept being uncomfortable as part of flying economy. I keep my children occupied and insist they behave and be quiet. I walk my baby around endlessly when he grizzles. I put my seat back up at meal times. Bit I won't keep my seat fully upright for the duration of a long haul flight because the person behind me might feel cramped. I put my seat back, I expected the person in front of me to put their seat back and the person behind me can do so too if they want more room. I know it's worse for tall people but my husband is 6'3" and he has never complained about a reclined seat in front of him.
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 15:22
I am so scared to fly that I never recline my seat. I sit in a tensed, upright position the whole time. I wish that I could stop feeling scared and just sit back and relax....
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 15:21
I've been on a flight where the passenger behind me had reclined their own seat but when I reclined mine he started kicking it. I politely asked him to stop and he told me to f off and kicked the seat harder. Eventually cabin crew got involved he started shouting about how uncomfortable he was etc. Cabin crew moved me to BC and I had an amazing flight after that. Hahhaa good on you! Some people are just so rude and selfish! If I am on an overnight flight, I understand people want to recline their seat to get some sleep. I always check with the person behind me if they are still comfortable, I want to be comfortable so expect others behind me to want the same.
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 15:11
It might take the airliners 2-3 less rows of seats to have much more comfortable siting to all, but prefer to keep it tight and push people to pay few times the price for business class. I agree with Marroosh we all need to be considerate to others.
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 12:04
I guess airlines should start building more comfortable jets..
Latest post on 29 August 2014 - 10:46
I've been on a flight where the passenger behind me had reclined their own seat but when I reclined mine he started kicking it. I politely asked him to stop and he told me to f off and kicked the seat harder. Eventually cabin crew got involved he started shouting about how uncomfortable he was etc. Cabin crew moved me to BC and I had an amazing flight after that.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 20:24
I actually agree with Marroosh on this. It is your "right" to recline but at the same time it is selfish, because you know you are reducing the comfort of the person behind you. There are people who get in their seat and instantly recline it, and don't lift it up again for the entire 14 hour flight. When for example you are flying with an infant on your lap, or you are tall and the reclined seat actually presses on your legs then that makes for a miserable flight. Those people often still spend half the flight sitting upright with the seat still reclined and sometimes they even recline the seat of their children, also for the entire flight. Such behaviour does not break any rules, but it does show an absolute lack of consideration for others. Sudden full reclining is also really annoying, as it doesn't give the person behind time to get out of the way. (again particularly bad if you have a child on your lap). Just like it isn't breaking any rules for a child to kick the back of an adults seat, or to have a loud conversation across the passenger next to you, but it is common courtesy to think of others. I have seen that device advertised before and actually thought of purchasing it. I think it still allows for partial recline, and they also advertise that it could be used simply to prevent the aforementioned sudden recliners. Obviously nobody expects that you would never recline your seat, especially on a night flight, but I personally recline slowly, only when I am sleeping, and only as far as I need to. I wish others would do the same. Absolute worst offenders don't even lift the seat back up during mealtimes. edited by kiwispiers on 28/08/2014 <em>edited by kiwispiers on 28/08/2014</em>
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 17:51
I find people who fully recline the moment seat belts signs are off and crash their chair on the person behind them quite selfish. We all pay for that seat so we all are entitled to comfort. That's exactly right Marroosh - we have all paid for our seats and entitled to our comfort and for me that includes reclining my seat - if you are tall and can't fit comfortably then you should fly BC and not expect others to be uncomfortable to accommodate you. The same as obese people who need two seats. Well that works both ways doesn't it? I find it very selfish when people plonk their chair backwards the moment they can, simply because they can. Why? its what is included in the price - do you find it selfish to people to eat bread as soon as the bread basket is brought? it is part of the cost of the airline ticket and you are entitled to do it - so why is it selfish?
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 17:13
I find people who fully recline the moment seat belts signs are off and crash their chair on the person behind them quite selfish. We all pay for that seat so we all are entitled to comfort. That's exactly right Marroosh - we have all paid for our seats and entitled to our comfort and for me that includes reclining my seat - if you are tall and can't fit comfortably then you should fly BC and not expect others to be uncomfortable to accommodate you. The same as obese people who need two seats. Well that works both ways doesn't it? I find it very selfish when people plonk their chair backwards the moment they can, simply because they can.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 17:04
I find people who fully recline the moment seat belts signs are off and crash their chair on the person behind them quite selfish. We all pay for that seat so we all are entitled to comfort. That's exactly right Marroosh - we have all paid for our seats and entitled to our comfort and for me that includes reclining my seat - if you are tall and can't fit comfortably then you should fly BC and not expect others to be uncomfortable to accommodate you. The same as obese people who need two seats.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 15:49
On a short-haul flight I might understand, but on any flight langer than 2 hours I wouldn't accept my fellow passengers preventing me from reclining my seat. I am quite tall and when someone reclines their seat fully, I can't sit normally in my chair. So in general, I book the emergency exit seat for extra leg room. But sometimes that's not possible, so I book an aisle seat. Overnight flights I understand people need to sleep, and even then when I want to recline I always check with the person behind me if they are still comfortable. I find people who fully recline the moment seat belts signs are off and crash their chair on the person behind them quite selfish. We all pay for that seat so we all are entitled to comfort.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 15:18
Did you read the comments on the article? some of them are unbelieveable. Andrea from Buckingham - how large is she that when the man front reclined his seat his head was in her lap? She's either huge or exaggerating. or hopeful :\:
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 15:16
Did you read the comments on the article? some of them are unbelieveable. Andrea from Buckingham - how large is she that when the man front reclined his seat his head was in her lap? She's either huge or exaggerating.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 15:10
Did you read the comments on the article? some of them are unbelieveable.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 15:05
Not acceptable at all, I'd be livid. It's up to the airline to decide how much recline you get, not the passenger sitting behind you. Fly business or put up with the discomforts of cattle class, reclined seats and all.
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 14:48
My husband is 6'3 and has had great trouble on economy long haul flights, but it has never occurred to him to stop someone else using their seat - which they have paid for - if the function is available. His legroom is already cramped to start with but when they recline its torture. What will they do next, tell aisle seat passengers not to use the tray table in case the window seat passenger needs to exit? I always swap my aisle seat with tall guys as they look so uncomfortable being squished in the middle
Latest post on 28 August 2014 - 14:41
My husband is 6'3 and has had great trouble on economy long haul flights, but it has never occurred to him to stop someone else using their seat - which they have paid for - if the function is available. His legroom is already cramped to start with but when they recline its torture. What will they do next, tell aisle seat passengers not to use the tray table in case the window seat passenger needs to exit?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY