Landlord charging for parking space ?? | ExpatWoman.com

Landlord charging for parking space ??

Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:46
I meant all apartments doesn't come with parking space, so it's nothing you should assume that you have access to, unless stated in the rental agreement. But they can't charge you for it either UNLESS it's stated in the rental agreement.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:40
I think it is legit as there is no rental agreement variation rather you have rented an apartment, not a space, conveniently there is a parking area below this apartment that you have accessed, now the regulator of the parking area, who happens to be the LL, is now charging for use of this area which you can choose not to pay for and the rental agreement will still stand. Most if not all apartments are advertised with a space. Every apartment I have lived in was. it comes as part of the apartment. It is their way to squeeze more money out of us as the rent calculator won't allow them to increase as they want The parking space is many times optional when you buy an apartment off plan in Dubai. My SIL paid 60,000 dhs for the parking space on top of the cost of the flat when she bought in JLT years ago. I believe the OP is renting the apartment, she isn't an owner
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:35
However, for this to be the case, this property actually needed to have done this advertising and the tenant actually had to have made a decision with this in mind for it to be considered a part of the contract. If it as not advertised no included in the agreement, then it was a tenant assumption that it was a part of the deal - and assumptions are not included in contracts for the most part. Give it go a with RERA and see if you can get around it though. It is your money after all. But if it's not stated in the contract that 3,000 dhs is to be paid for parking - that's NOT allowed! My contract states clearly that my apartment comes with 1 parking space. If it's not stated that you pay for one, you don't have to. Cuts both ways.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:29
I think it is legit as there is no rental agreement variation rather you have rented an apartment, not a space, conveniently there is a parking area below this apartment that you have accessed, now the regulator of the parking area, who happens to be the LL, is now charging for use of this area which you can choose not to pay for and the rental agreement will still stand. Most if not all apartments are advertised with a space. Every apartment I have lived in was. it comes as part of the apartment. It is their way to squeeze more money out of us as the rent calculator won't allow them to increase as they want However, for this to be the case, this property actually needed to have done this advertising and the tenant actually had to have made a decision with this in mind for it to be considered a part of the contract. If it as not advertised no included in the agreement, then it was a tenant assumption that it was a part of the deal - and assumptions are not included in contracts for the most part. Give it go a with RERA and see if you can get around it though. It is your money after all.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:22
I think it is legit as there is no rental agreement variation rather you have rented an apartment, not a space, conveniently there is a parking area below this apartment that you have accessed, now the regulator of the parking area, who happens to be the LL, is now charging for use of this area which you can choose not to pay for and the rental agreement will still stand. Most if not all apartments are advertised with a space. Every apartment I have lived in was. it comes as part of the apartment. It is their way to squeeze more money out of us as the rent calculator won't allow them to increase as they want
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:22
We have lived for 15 years in the same flat. Our LL has started charging us dhs3000 for parking the last 3 years. It is not in the contract but if you tell him that he says you are free to leave and move somewhere else if you want. Now we just pay. Most parking slots in our building are empty now as people do not want to pay the parking anymore. Rent is bad enough and now parking space is the new way to get more money out of tenants. Thanks for the appreciation of 15 years secure tenancy… what a charing LL.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:20
We have lived for 15 years in the same flat. Our LL has started charging us dhs3000 for parking the last 3 years. It is not in the contract but if you tell him that he says you are free to leave and move somewhere else if you want. Now we just pay. Most parking slots in our building are empty now as people do not want to pay the parking anymore. Rent is bad enough and now parking space is the new way to get more money out of tenants. And sadly THIS is why LL's bully people and get what they want, as tenants don't know their rights and don't fight! If it's not in your contract he can't charge you for it. RERA would tell him that flat out. You might as well be burning that cash as you're paying for something you don't have to and your LL is breaking the law.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:19
I think it is legit as there is no rental agreement variation rather you have rented an apartment, not a space, conveniently there is a parking area below this apartment that you have accessed, now the regulator of the parking area, who happens to be the LL, is now charging for use of this area which you can choose not to pay for and the rental agreement will still stand.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:18
We have lived for 15 years in the same flat. Our LL has started charging us dhs3000 for parking the last 3 years. It is not in the contract but if you tell him that he says you are free to leave and move somewhere else if you want. Now we just pay. Most parking slots in our building are empty now as people do not want to pay the parking anymore. Rent is bad enough and now parking space is the new way to get more money out of tenants. He can't force you to leave if you don't pay for the space. I hate bullying landlords They cant just change the terms of your contract because they want an extra 3K
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:16
We have lived for 15 years in the same flat. Our LL has started charging us dhs3000 for parking the last 3 years. It is not in the contract but if you tell him that he says you are free to leave and move somewhere else if you want. Now we just pay. Most parking slots in our building are empty now as people do not want to pay the parking anymore. Rent is bad enough and now parking space is the new way to get more money out of tenants.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:15
Just call RERA and ask them to clarify.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:13
Yes, this is what our landlord did last year after a year of us getting 2 parking spaces (for a 3 b/r) on the next renewal we were asked to pay AED6,666/- for 2nd parking (1 was free).
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:05
sarah - i think you may be wrong. Unless the contract specifically says parking is included, i think he can stop you using it.
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 12:01
It isn't legal and certainly not half way through the contract Mine comes with a space and was advertised as such Tell him you need it from the Rent Committee ( say you took legal advice from them) as an official letter as this is the legal requirement see what he says. No doubt his annual service fees have gone up and he is expecting you to help pay for them LOL! Any changes have to be done 90 days before a renewal and you both have to agree The lengths they will go to now <em>edited by sarahlou123 on 01/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 11:57
Does it say anything in the contract about the parking?
Latest post on 01 September 2014 - 11:54
I live in an apartment in Al Barsha, the Lease Contract does not mention parking spaces under the building. Half way into the Agreement, the landlord is now asking all of the tenants to pay AED 2000 per space. Does anyone know where to ask if this is legal?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY