Skin Care Products for teenagers | ExpatWoman.com

Skin Care Products for teenagers

Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 04:34

My DD has terrible skin , can anyone recommend a good brand of products that she could use or am I best off waiting for it to clear naturally . Her elder sister or myself never had a single spot so we didn't use anything . I have no clues what to do for her , is she too young to put products on her face ?

Latest post on 07 September 2014 - 13:21
Hi, try using SebaMed brand, available in most supermarkets; they have an amazing anti-bacterial foam cleanser (soap free) specifically for acne prone skin. There is also a German brand called TAO which was recommended by my dermatologist, but not available in all pharmacies, i think only al manara pharmacy on Jumeirah beach road carries it. The anti-bacterial cleanser works magic. Any tinted moisturizer is fine as long as its frangrance and oil-free; Try the Laura Mercier brand. Please don't use Retine A, as it will damage her skin. <em>edited by samram on 07/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 07 September 2014 - 13:19
My daughter just started with her skin issues. I did some research and found that oil cleansing is the best .he basic idea of oil cleansing is to use natural oils in specific combination to cleanse the skin and naturally balance the skin’s natural oils. Mix 1/3 portion castor oil 1/2 almond or olive oil. Slather it on. Place a clean washcloth under very hot tap water (or shower water) until it is completely soaked and quickly wring it out. Open it and place over your face. This will create steam against the skin to remove the oils and any impurities in the skin. Leave the wash cloth on for about a minute, or until it cools. Repeat if needed with the other side of the washcloth and then use the corners of the washcloth to gently remove any remaining oil. There will still be a thin layer of oil on the skin and this is beneficial. Workeds great for my girl. www.theoilcleansingmethod.com
Latest post on 07 September 2014 - 11:20
I used Eminence as a teenager and it really helped my skin. They claim to use all natural products and I find their Biodynamic line excellent. They also have powder sunscreen so that may help cover up the acne and give her self confidence a boost or perhaps a tinted sunblock.
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 01:20
Get her help now!! Untreated bad acne can lead to lifetime scarring! Proactive is a good line to start with. There are various ways to deal with acne including antibiotics for the bacteria (topical or oral), BHAs to clear the pores and retinols (like retin A) to make the skin turn over more quickly. Unfortunately retin A is not available in the UAE any more but differin (adaplene) is. If it's bad then definitely go to a derm For covering red, you can buy a green concealer from GOSH cosmetics in boots. Makeup forever or bareminerals might be a good foundation choice
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 00:50
Hmmm she struggles with sunscreen too , says it burns her face so won't put it on ! I'll try the tea tree I think and a scrub . She wants to cover up with foundation but I'm trying to tell her it will make it worse not help it get better I struggled with acne from age 9 to 23, and continue to have days of hormonal acne, so I feel your DD's pain. Maybe the fragrances or sun-blocking chemicals found in most sunscreen formulas are burning her skin. I had that problem when I used Neutrogena Healthy Defense, Banana Boat Baby sunscreen, and a few others. Now I use California Baby Sensitive SPF 50 or Blue Lizard Sensitive SPF 50, and neither burns or causes itching. If your budget permits, Clinique makes a good tinted sunblock for sensitive skin and Lancaster makes SPF 45 sunscreen that was always gentle on my skin. I would use Proactiv's Clarifying Night Time lotion or a BHA chemical exfoliating gel (Paula's Choice) instead of a physical, grainy scrub or tea tree oil that will only further damage and irritate the sensitive, acne-blistered skin. Tea Tree oil, bought as Body Shop anti-acne spot-gels and face washes, never worked for me, it burned my skin and made things worse. The only Lush facial "scrub" that worked for me was a paste called "Angels on Bare Skin". If she wants to cover up pimples (I would have loved that option at 10!), Bourgois and L'oreal make lovely brush-on concealers (similar to YSL's Touche Eclat but lower price) that mask red, raised pimples yet are thin enough to wash off thoroughly. All of the face wash gels labeled "for sensitive skin" sold in UAE supermarkets have skin-irritating fragrances or alcohols in them, so I order Olay Sensitive Face Wash from UK or USA. For makeup removal, I use Lush Ultrabland. BTW, my husband and I were introduced by a mutual friend who knew me during the years of my worst acne, so "Mr Right" will find your daughter no matter the condition of her skin! <em>edited by Apricot on 03/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 00:23
I definitely don't recommend foundation! All my younger relatives with oily skin wanted that too but even tinted moisturizer can cover and therefore clog the pores...and might even leave scars as the bumps tend to reappear in the same spots. ,
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 23:19
My DD has terrible skin , can anyone recommend a good brand of products that she could use or am I best off waiting for it to clear naturally . Her elder sister or myself never had a single spot so we didn't use anything . I have no clues what to do for her , is she too young to put products on her face ? I think the best way to clear is natural products, Has she tried these? They are very cheap and a best seller on Iherb (I love natural cosmetic formulas) - Blemish Treatment Lotion http://goo.gl/RxUx5P -Soap http://goo.gl/IcvlSn If you believe in Homeopathy These for 4 steps are from a good brand http://goo.gl/ND9JQZ :)
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 21:11
Hmmm she struggles with sunscreen too , says it burns her face so won't put it on ! I'll try the tea tree I think and a scrub . She wants to cover up with foundation but I'm trying to tell her it will make it worse not help it get better
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 09:09
Mine has the same problem and I fear it will only get worse, as the clogged pores are clearly visible. None of the supermarket products were working, so I got her tea tree toner and spot cleanser from lush. She's been using their sea salt scrub as well like twice a week. I order Kiel's facial sunscreen. They actually do sell proactiv here if you want to try that.
Anonymous (not verified)
Latest post on 02 September 2014 - 07:07
My DD, although only 10 has some spots now. I have got her to do the following: Avoid soap on her face. She washes with a face wash (from the supermarket - eg: Ponds) one that is designed for young skins twice a day and uses a very mild exfoliating scrub once a week. On the spots, she puts pure tea tree oil which is a good antiseptic and is also anti bacterial. Pure lavender oil has similar properties, I believe. Over washing is a common habit of teenagers with bad skin. They think the cleaner and more oil free their face is the better it is but that is not true - it just results in sensitive, oily skin. If they over wash, the skin feels dry so naturally produces more oil. I would also look at the ingredients of the sun cream she is using. Many of them have harsh chemicals that will aggregate the skin if already sensitive. I tend to buy a good quality sun cream specifically for the face so it is not too "cloying" and avoids the para amino benzoic acids. (PBAs) which can be very harmful but are a common ingredient in the cheaper supermarket sunscreens. Some times doctors will prescribe antibiotics for acne as well as other drugs but I would be electing this treatment as a last resort.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY