Babies to be separated from their mothers | ExpatWoman.com

Babies to be separated from their mothers

Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 09:26

According to 7days, prisoners will be allocated "visiting times" for their children because being raised by total strangers is meant to give these already disadvantaged children a better life. Who thinks this is a good idea?

Latest post on 04 September 2014 - 17:52
Another perspective - http://7daysindubai.com/stories-children-behind-bars-dubai-womens-prison/
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 15:35
I know that there are Mother and Baby units in UK prisons (in 8 of 13 female prisons) - based on research that the first year is vital to the child-parent bond - it is done for the children not the mothers. The units are within the grounds but separated from the general population. I saw a documentary some years ago about them. The mothers have to be assessed to ensure that they are not a danger and the unit can be withdrawn if they misbehave. The units are organised with the mothers having a room with bathroom for themselves and their babies and then a shared lounge/play area - the mothers have to attend work or study part time and they are also taught basic skills that many lack such as cooking and childcare. As the prison environment is rather sterile babies can only stay in the unit until 18 months - so if the mother is not due for release the babies will have to move to family or foster care
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 13:56
Don't all of you, who are mother's here - end up leaving their child behind to be raised by a stranger, as with 45 days maternity leave, and no option of part-time work, we all have to leave babies behind to go to work. Just a thought ... edited by pollydxb1 on 03/09/2014 Think that is a mite different than having "visiting hours" with your own children. I think this thought is a good one. And there're strict schools with policies for seeing children in the school hours.
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 13:32
Oh absolutely, it was just a thought .... it is a horrid situation all round
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 13:25
Don't all of you, who are mother's here - end up leaving their child behind to be raised by a stranger, as with 45 days maternity leave, and no option of part-time work, we all have to leave babies behind to go to work. Just a thought ... edited by pollydxb1 on 03/09/2014 Think that is a mite different than having "visiting hours" with your own children.
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 13:04
Don't all of you, who are mother's here - end up leaving their child behind to be raised by a stranger, as with 45 days maternity leave, and no option of part-time work, we all have to leave babies behind to go to work. Just a thought ... <em>edited by pollydxb1 on 03/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 12:23
Ok, I guess I'm in the minority here. But I know I'd rather have been raised by my mother - no matter where or how - than by anyone else and I assume that's the case for most people. You are thinning of an everyday woman in an everyday home. These are women who live in confined circumstances and have who knows how many issues. And even if the mother is not a truly evil lady, others in the prison may be, and it is best to keep the little ones safe. I recall reading about a lady in Dubai, possibly in 2008, who dumped her baby in a garbage bin and the baby was found, as was the mother, and she was sent to prison and her baby was sent with her. That child would be safer in a nursery.
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 11:52
Ok, I guess I'm in the minority here. But I know I'd rather have been raised by my mother - no matter where or how - than by anyone else and I assume that's the case for most people. That is, of course, if your mother is a kind, sane, loving person... Exactly. Rosemary West was a mother.....
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 11:47
Ok, I guess I'm in the minority here. But I know I'd rather have been raised by my mother - no matter where or how - than by anyone else and I assume that's the case for most people. That is, of course, if your mother is a kind, sane, loving person...
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 11:46
Ok, I guess I'm in the minority here. But I know I'd rather have been raised by my mother - no matter where or how - than by anyone else and I assume that's the case for most people. I don't like the idea of any child being separated from their Mum however in jail most prisoners are bunking with other prisoners who may be in jail for horrific offenses. I don't know if I would want my child growing up with those sorts of people around them.
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 11:39
Ok, I guess I'm in the minority here. But I know I'd rather have been raised by my mother - no matter where or how - than by anyone else and I assume that's the case for most people.
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 11:38
G2 - i really don't understand your arguements - can you clarify on why you think this is wrong?
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 10:44
According to 7days, prisoners will be allocated "visiting times" for their children because being raised by total strangers is meant to give these already disadvantaged children a better life. Who thinks this is a good idea? This is a complaint that the government has decided to invest funds to provide a sanction for little people whose mothers are criminals so they can be separated from the reality of the fact that the live day in and to in jail literally? These women in many con tries would see their children through a glass window. I think this is a lovely thing for them to do. They did not have to. It is not their problem if these kids grow up productive members of society or not - they are all expatriates who will return to be burdens on their own country once their mothers have done their time, but they are taking the initiative and saying every child, whether their parent is a local, expat, even criminal, deserves a better start than that.
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 10:16
Better for the children not to be raised in prison - am not sure how anyone can think that its good for children to be in prison.... Not sure how anyone could think it was good for children to be raised by strangers - and odds are they are going to be raised by Filipina's - not trained childcare experts. Well Guinness you can not understand because 1) you have never been in such a situation as a child or 2) are a loving mother who is not in prison. But the reality is that many children world wide are raised by strangers as you so put it and do perfectly well, of course it's not ideal but sometimes the alternative is not so nice either. As for your comment re Filipinos raising them who are not qualified, most expats seem to think it is fine for unqualified Filipinos to look after their children, so i don't see the difference. You do not need a qualification to raise a child, you need love and kindness. It has been identified that prison life is having a detrimental effect on children born behind bars, any organization that tries in even the smallest way to implement something that addresses this should be supported and congratulated . Why not investigate the matter further and see how children live in prison and what their mothers would like for them. It must be remembered that not all parents are the best people to raise their children, being a DNA provider does not automatically mean you are a good parent, sometimes strangers are the better parents. <em>edited by Lolacat on 03/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 10:15
Better for the children not to be raised in prison - am not sure how anyone can think that its good for children to be in prison.... Not sure how anyone could think it was good for children to be raised by strangers - and odds are they are going to be raised by Filipina's - not trained childcare experts. Didn't realise mother's in jail were trainied childcare experts - live and learn i suppose!"!!!!!
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 10:14
pretty much every person I know has been unfortunate enough not to be raised by a trained child care expert, regardless of their nationality.
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 10:07
Better for the children not to be raised in prison - am not sure how anyone can think that its good for children to be in prison.... Not sure how anyone could think it was good for children to be raised by strangers - and odds are they are going to be raised by Filipina's - not trained childcare experts.
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 10:00
Better for the children not to be raised in prison - am not sure how anyone can think that its good for children to be in prison....
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 09:59
Actually i think this is a very forward thinking plan and the authorities should be congratulated on trying to do something in what is an extremely difficult situation. They are right, prison is no place for children to grow up so they are trying to find a solution. There are many countries in the world (not here) where children are removed completely from their mothers or alternatively live in the most horrendous conditions experiencing a brutal prison life. This way the children can at least have some sense of a child hood and normality. The issue is not an easy one to solve anywhere in the world so any country that is investing and trying to address an issue is to congratulated. edited by Lolacat on 03/09/2014 <em>edited by Lolacat on 03/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 03 September 2014 - 09:44
According to 7days, prisoners will be allocated "visiting times" for their children because being raised by total strangers is meant to give these already disadvantaged children a better life. Who thinks this is a good idea? I know that children should be close to their Mums but being born in prison is awful I am on the fence with this one as who would want their child being raised in prison or away from them. Its a hard one and I haven't any children

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY