Questions for Americans with LO's in school | ExpatWoman.com

Questions for Americans with LO's in school

Latest post on 24 September 2014 - 06:41
No, I'm not a fan of the GEMS management.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 22:25
We are American and our children go to an American IB/PYP school here. I taught in the early elementary grades in the US for many years before moving here so I was really particular about what I wanted in a school for our children. For me, I wanted our children to learn spelling and phonics the way we do it in the US. Ex: favorite spelled without a "u", a Z is pronounced zee instead of zed, it's a "period" instead of "full stop". I also wanted them to learn US math and History. My children are taught to count US coins and they do Everyday Math. Last week I know the 5th graders were learning about Jacob Lawrence, who is a famous African-American painter. Fortunately my husband's school allowance covers the cost at the moment so the price isn't really an issue for us yet. Are you referring to DAA? Going for a tour there.
Latest post on 23 September 2014 - 09:24
We are American and our children go to an American IB/PYP school here. I taught in the early elementary grades in the US for many years before moving here so I was really particular about what I wanted in a school for our children. For me, I wanted our children to learn spelling and phonics the way we do it in the US. Ex: favorite spelled without a "u", a Z is pronounced zee instead of zed, it's a "period" instead of "full stop". I also wanted them to learn US math and History. My children are taught to count US coins and they do Everyday Math. Last week I know the 5th graders were learning about Jacob Lawrence, who is a famous African-American painter. Fortunately my husband's school allowance covers the cost at the moment so the price isn't really an issue for us yet.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 16:36
Hi, I recently moved back to Dubai and have a few questions regarding schools: 1. Do your children go to an American or British system school? 2. If British, how do you feel it compares to the American system? 3. If American, do you feel that is the same level, better or worse than the one back home? Can it be compared to the public school system or is more on the private school level? I am trying to decide between systems. My LO's are currently in the british, I feel it's more of a memorization system rather than making the children understand the concepts of why things are. Thanks in advance! 1. My children go to a British system school that switches to IB at middle school and up. 2. I feel that the academic expectations vary between similar and higher, than what I experienced in an affluent public school district in Northern California. The primary (elementary school) curriculum at my kids' school does appear to be a balance between memorization and hands-on experiences.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 10:53
Yes, I have to agree with you, Guinness. By the time my kids reach high school, I would hope to be able to move them to the American system. Once they reach that age, there isn't much of a cost discrepancy between the British and American schools. My 5 year-old gets regular homework. If she were in the USA, she'd be in kindergarten and would not be getting homework nor would she be expected to read books or write sentences. She also wouldn't be learning a foreign language... edited by AnonDubai on 22/09/2014 Actually, my daughter was in KG in the states last year and received 2 assignments everyday with a third being a 3 day homework. By the end of the year, she was able to recognize a lot of sight words, read with help and write pretty well. My concern is not with how much homework they get, it is how things are being taught. For instance, yesterday my daughter came home with 'mental maths' and she had to differentiate between even and odd. They taught her to start with 1 and skip a number to find which is which (memorizing) but she didn't grasp the concept. When I taught her by showing her (fingers pair off for even and there is an odd man out for Odd) she grasped the concept much quicker and was able to answer. I was not aware that kindergarten children are getting homework in the USA. I guess that just shows you that there is no uniform American curriculum. Every school district does what it wants!
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 10:43
Ugh...please...don't even want to think about how complicated simple things are made. I think I am going to need a tutor just to decipher her homework.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 10:41
And what's up with multiplying? Apparently they need to make a grid or chart for multiplying which I can't understand at all. I was always taught to put one number over the other and multiply that way, so easy ...
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 10:36
Yes, I have to agree with you, Guinness. By the time my kids reach high school, I would hope to be able to move them to the American system. Once they reach that age, there isn't much of a cost discrepancy between the British and American schools. My 5 year-old gets regular homework. If she were in the USA, she'd be in kindergarten and would not be getting homework nor would she be expected to read books or write sentences. She also wouldn't be learning a foreign language... edited by AnonDubai on 22/09/2014 Actually, my daughter was in KG in the states last year and received 2 assignments everyday with a third being a 3 day homework. By the end of the year, she was able to recognize a lot of sight words, read with help and write pretty well. My concern is not with how much homework they get, it is how things are being taught. For instance, yesterday my daughter came home with 'mental maths' and she had to differentiate between even and odd. They taught her to start with 1 and skip a number to find which is which (memorizing) but she didn't grasp the concept. When I taught her by showing her (fingers pair off for even and there is an odd man out for Odd) she grasped the concept much quicker and was able to answer.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 09:46
Americans aren't scarce, but most don't stick around. For sure my opinion about schools here and many places is negative as well. My kid wasn't even in public school back home, as you know many of them fall way behind. Totally depends on where you live how good your public schools are, as I was never impressed with any in the many areas I've lived.... Including New York, Texas, California, and Missouri. I tried to get a place for my daughter at the top American school here, but no space...at that time the wait list was so long I forgot about it. My situation is a bit different as her fathers company paid up to 60k per year per child at the time, now I believe it's cut down to 40 but they do provide bussing allowance if the child is bussed (mine are not). I put her in an all girls American school and it was quite comparable to the US in terms of learning, equipment, teaching styles, etc. There are a lot of "American" schools but a rare percentage actually follow the American standards of back home. Ok so back to the topic... My son and daughter both go to a British school now. My hope is by the time my daughter will be in 9th or 10th grade, we will be able to return home. If not, then I will try to get her back to an American curriculum school because she will need to prepare for different tests. It depends on their grade level in terms of understanding concepts... My daughter never understood anything at her old school, only knew facts she was repeating. Her teacher now really stresses independent learning and figuring things out, so in this way I'd say it's a huge improvement.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 08:59
I'm American and my children also go to a British school. The American schools here are too expensive. My 4th grader gets a homework schedule for the week. Reading, writing, and math. My 10th grader Also gets a lot of homework. Biology, physics, math, drama, English, economics. It is a heavy workload for her.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 08:45
Yes, I have to agree with you, Guinness. By the time my kids reach high school, I would hope to be able to move them to the American system. Once they reach that age, there isn't much of a cost discrepancy between the British and American schools. My 5 year-old gets regular homework. If she were in the USA, she'd be in kindergarten and would not be getting homework nor would she be expected to read books or write sentences. She also wouldn't be learning a foreign language... <em>edited by AnonDubai on 22/09/2014</em>
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 08:35
I'm american and my children go to a british school. We chose it because the american schools are much more expensive. While I assumed it would be more academic early on, I haven't found that to be the case. We hardly have any homework and when we do, it's "make a poster" or something. We also use Ipads a lot which I don't like. However my elder child seems to be progressing very well. I like that we spend a lot of time on languages, art and music - more than my children did at their old, American school (in Dubai.) When it comes to high school, though, my strong preference is to move back into the American system because I am pretty sceptical about the A-levels. I prefer the good old grading system and my kids will go to university in the states I'm hoping ...
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 08:25
My sister teaches 2nd grade in the US public school system and her class size is much smaller and her classroom is much better than any private school I have seen here. I have heard that the American schools here are good, but most of them cost upwards of 50,000 dirhams a year and I find that very expensive. It seems that they have small class sizes, though, which is important to me. I find the British system to be too academic at an early age. I may not be the best person to ask, though, because I generally have a negative opinion about schools here.... Thank you for your input. They are pretty expensive and there aren't a lot of them. Looking forward to hearing what others have to say regarding this. I did a search on past posts and didn't find a lot of information, seems Americans are pretty scarce.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 07:59
I am American but my children are in the British system. Personally, I feel that it is worse than back home. They would be getting a better education in the American public school system. I wish that I could send them to an American school here, but they are way too expensive... Why do you think it's worse here? Do you think the american schools here are good? My children are in the British system and it's a major change. Also, there is A LOT of memorizing without understanding and that troubles me. My sister teaches 2nd grade in the US public school system and her class size is much smaller and her classroom is much better than any private school I have seen here. I have heard that the American schools here are good, but most of them cost upwards of 50,000 dirhams a year and I find that very expensive. It seems that they have small class sizes, though, which is important to me. I find the British system to be too academic at an early age. I may not be the best person to ask, though, because I generally have a negative opinion about schools here....
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 07:54
I am American but my children are in the British system. Personally, I feel that it is worse than back home. They would be getting a better education in the American public school system. I wish that I could send them to an American school here, but they are way too expensive... Why do you think it's worse here? Do you think the american schools here are good? My children are in the British system and it's a major change. Also, there is A LOT of memorizing without understanding and that troubles me.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 07:54
I am American but my children are in the British system. Personally, I feel that it is worse than back home. They would be getting a better education in the American public school system. I wish that I could send them to an American school here, but they are way too expensive... Why do you think it's worse here? Do you think the american schools here are good? My children are in the British system and it's a major change. Also, there is A LOT of memorizing without understanding and that troubles me.
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 07:52
Hi, I recently moved back to Dubai and have a few questions regarding schools: 1. Do your children go to an American or British system school? 2. If British, how do you feel it compares to the American system? 3. If American, do you feel that is the same level, better or worse than the one back home? Can it be compared to the public school system or is more on the private school level? I am trying to decide between systems. My LO's are currently in the british, I feel it's more of a memorization system rather than making the children understand the concepts of why things are. Thanks in advance! I am American but my children are in the British system. Personally, I feel that it is worse than back home. They would be getting a better education in the American public school system. I wish that I could send them to an American school here, but they are way too expensive...
Latest post on 22 September 2014 - 06:56
Hi, I recently moved back to Dubai and have a few questions regarding schools: 1. Do your children go to an American or British system school? 2. If British, how do you feel it compares to the American system? 3. If American, do you feel that is the same level, better or worse than the one back home? Can it be compared to the public school system or is more on the private school level? I am trying to decide between systems. My LO's are currently in the british, I feel it's more of a memorization system rather than making the children understand the concepts of why things are. Thanks in advance!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY