Gestational Diabetes | ExpatWoman.com

Gestational Diabetes

Latest post on 21 November 2014 - 22:55

After having done GTT at 28 weeks, I was told I have Gestational Diabetes. The thing is at fasting, glucose level was normal, after 1 hour (after glucose) it was normal and after 2 hours it was slightly above normal. And my ob/gyn is recommending to keep track of my glucose level (which I am doing like a maniac now) and stick to a glucose-free diet. It is a bit weird as I am, in general, a healthy eater (well maybe an afternoon tea with a small bit of chocolate candy). I am pretty stressed about that, as I want to eat a toast with a jam or a honey for breakfast sometimes, I like grapes. And the stress about not eating what I want (even in moderation) is more devastating than the sugar level.
My DH said forget the diet, eat what you want, but I am hesitating. My mom says the same (as she confirmed we have no family history of any kind of diabetes).
Has anyone come across something like that? Were you keeping diet to keep your sugar level down during pregnancy or chose not to diet?

Latest post on 22 November 2014 - 10:13
Thank you, ladies. I will obviously do whatever is good for the baby, in the first place. Cutting on sugar is not a big deal for me. I was curious why such a mild form of diabetes made my ob/gyn worry. At the end of the day, she is the doctor and I am a patient, so will stick to her recommendations, especially if this will help to keep the weight at healthy level. Thanks again!
Latest post on 22 November 2014 - 08:23
I had gestational diabetes during both my pregnancies. The trick is to keep your blood sugar levels even. I was directed to do this by eating breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and supper. Its a lot of eating but the amounts you eat aren't huge and you must try and eat a small amount of low-GI foods at each meal. Some foods don't count at all towards blood sugar level - eg you can eat vegetables as much as you want, other things will spike them quickly eg watermelon and jasmine rice so I avoided these things. I suggest googling low gi foods and maybe try googling examples of diabetes diets and go from there. I had to check my levels 4 or 5 times a day (i forget which). I stuck to the diet rigorously and in the end had very healthy babies and actually could put me pre-pregnancy jeans back on 2 weeks after giving birth :-) so there was an upside of having gestational diabetes.
Latest post on 22 November 2014 - 07:47
OP, I had the exact same experience as you. I was already a healthy eater and no history of GD. Ultimately I decided that the diet looked pretty safe and could do no harm, so I broadly followed it. Chances are you will be fine, but in case you are prone, it is best to err on the side caution. If you were to develop GD diabetes, it would be best to try the diet first before taking additional measures. As a result, at the end of the pregnancy, I had put on very little extra weight, yet my baby was a healthy size. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY