Mother with mental health issue - visiting Dubai | ExpatWoman.com

Mother with mental health issue - visiting Dubai

Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 15:41

Hi, I wanted to get some advise. My mother is bipolar and suffers from depression,she has self harmed in the past but is on lots of medication now so she is ok. She has very issues with her back, so is on tramadol too. We want her to come visit us for a few weeks but I am worried about her coming through with her medication as most of it would be controlled drugs here. It seems like they not very understanding with mental health issues here in Dubai or people that are severely depressed. She will bring with her a letter from her doctor saying that she on the meds for medical reasons but wondered if anyone has known someone with these sort of problems to come here before or family member.

Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 14:51
Hi, I wanted to get some advise. My mother is bipolar and suffers from depression,she has self harmed in the past but is on lots of medication now so she is ok. She has very issues with her back, so is on tramadol too. We want her to come visit us for a few weeks but I am worried about her coming through with her medication as most of it would be controlled drugs here. It seems like they not very understanding with mental health issues here in Dubai or people that are severely depressed. She will bring with her a letter from her doctor saying that she on the meds for medical reasons but wondered if anyone has known someone with these sort of problems to come here before or family member. Why....on earth have so many people given me a thumbs down for asking a question???????????? Are some people ashamed at mental health problems!!! More than 1 out of 4 people in Uk has or will a=suffer from a mental health issue..... Might been thumbed down because of the difficulties to bring in drugs your mother needs as well. I wouldn't pay attention to it. Yes, you right...sorry, get a bit defensive about this sometimes... I think a lot of the thumbs down can also be accidental - if you view threads on an iPhone for example, the thumbs down icon is in exactly the same place you place your thumb to scroll down the page...when doing this quickly I have found I have accidently given a 'thumb' opinion without meaning to.
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 14:05
Hi, I wanted to get some advise. My mother is bipolar and suffers from depression,she has self harmed in the past but is on lots of medication now so she is ok. She has very issues with her back, so is on tramadol too. We want her to come visit us for a few weeks but I am worried about her coming through with her medication as most of it would be controlled drugs here. It seems like they not very understanding with mental health issues here in Dubai or people that are severely depressed. She will bring with her a letter from her doctor saying that she on the meds for medical reasons but wondered if anyone has known someone with these sort of problems to come here before or family member. Why....on earth have so many people given me a thumbs down for asking a question???????????? Are some people ashamed at mental health problems!!! More than 1 out of 4 people in Uk has or will a=suffer from a mental health issue..... Might been thumbed down because of the difficulties to bring in drugs your mother needs as well. I wouldn't pay attention to it. Yes, you right...sorry, get a bit defensive about this sometimes...
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 08:49
Hi, I wanted to get some advise. My mother is bipolar and suffers from depression,she has self harmed in the past but is on lots of medication now so she is ok. She has very issues with her back, so is on tramadol too. We want her to come visit us for a few weeks but I am worried about her coming through with her medication as most of it would be controlled drugs here. It seems like they not very understanding with mental health issues here in Dubai or people that are severely depressed. She will bring with her a letter from her doctor saying that she on the meds for medical reasons but wondered if anyone has known someone with these sort of problems to come here before or family member. Why....on earth have so many people given me a thumbs down for asking a question???????????? Are some people ashamed at mental health problems!!! More than 1 out of 4 people in Uk has or will a=suffer from a mental health issue.....
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 07:50
The protocol regarding controlled medication is that the Dr's prescription must be attested in the country of origin, then stamped by the equivalent of MOFA in that country, and then by the UAE Embassy in that country. You can reconfirm this with your embassy though. She would also be wise to have a supporting letter from the Doctor attested in the same way. Lots of people will tell you they've brought medication in before and it has all been fine, but above is the procedure. Thank you, will definitely look into getting it attested. Things can be so complicated here.
Latest post on 25 February 2015 - 05:42
The protocol regarding controlled medication is that the Dr's prescription must be attested in the country of origin, then stamped by the equivalent of MOFA in that country, and then by the UAE Embassy in that country. You can reconfirm this with your embassy though. She would also be wise to have a supporting letter from the Doctor attested in the same way. Lots of people will tell you they've brought medication in before and it has all been fine, but above is the procedure.
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 21:38
Tramadol is a big no no here. You really need to seek expert advice on this, try contacting your DR and see if they can advise and maybe your embassy for protocol re this.
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 16:58
Preetihappy, I have no anecdotal information, however as you said, much of her medication would be controlled. In specific, I don't know if they would allow her to bring medications such as Tramadol unless her prescriptions were attested-- I don't think a doctor's note would sufficient so I would suggest researching controlled medications (I've seen some threads here in past) and how one goes about attesting prescriptions.
Latest post on 24 February 2015 - 15:56
Hiya I've just moved to dubai I also have bipolar the doctor I meet was really nice didn't know much about it that only problem I have the tablets I'm on they don't do out here so waiting now to see another doctor to see if they can get my tablets I'm on for me all the best I didn't have a problem coming here with my tablets x

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY