How much iPad, Xbox etc time do you allow your child to have? | ExpatWoman.com

How much iPad, Xbox etc time do you allow your child to have?

Latest post on 04 May 2015 - 10:58
My 15 year old gets easily distracted, so we moved his PC out of his bedroom downstairs to a central work area where all 3 kids do their homework. We moved the PS4 into the same room so it can only be used when all 3 have finished their homework. It's inconvenient for playdates at times and they all moan about it but it really does restrict the amount of time they use it. Before we did this we did remove the PS4 for a whole month so that nobody, including Dad, could use it, and that really worked. I've also confiscated all the controllers when I've been really fed up and threatened to forget where I put them... Ipads and iPhones are a complete nightmare to police though because they need daily access to them for schoolwork etc. Putting the charging points for them in our bedroom helped and we check that we have all of them at bedtime to avoid nighttime gaming. They still spend too much time on them though.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 22:43
:cry: I have a 13 year old who has taken a plunge during her holidays from school. I only hope it is a phase and will pass soon. <em>edited by touimi on 03/05/2015</em>
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 17:23
Can you not go back to the old fashioned way and play with him, board games and the like?
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 17:20
He only uses his iPad or computer downstairs where I am and is never allowed games that aren't for his age so I'm not worried about that. It's the time he wants to spend on it that's a concern. Now that its getting hotter its later in the evening before he can go outside to play. Anyhow, one way or the other I need to come up with better ways for him to keep occupied! Thanks for your replies :)
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 16:38
Having the computer downstairs helps monitor what they are doing.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 16:20
As CHewit rightly says, it's difficult when they need the computer for school work. The number of times I've confiscated the iPad and sent DD off to do homework only to find myself giving it straight back to her because she can't do any homework without it! It is impossible to know, without looking over their shoulder constantly, exactly what they're doing on it - homework or personal stuff. Doesn't make it any easier to restrict or police. I'm waiting with baited breath for the answer as its a big problem for us too. I totally get the thing about rudeness and bad behaviour when they are on the computer. Sorry, not being any help, just sympathising.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 16:07
The games are soooo addictive they make normal life seem boring to a child. As they get older hormones starts to kick in, I have noticed that when my teen plays on his game he becomes more introverted, aggressive and generally not nice. I have taken the game away and now hes back to a lovely boy again. It really does get worse as they get older. Could you try making him busier in other more productive ways ?
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 14:07
Thank you ladies. You're all right of course, it's my responsibility. Ill talk to him again. We have discussed the negatives of too much screen time.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 13:17
If your son thinks you are tough Silk1970, he'd [i'>hate[/i'> me. I agree with Chewit, you need to keep things tightly controlled as long as you can and the older they get the harder it is to do. My eldest is 9, we have no screen time at all during the week (apart from if needed for homework) and they have to earn screen time for the weekend up to a maximum of one hour. I probably sound like a strict ogre but I've found that for two of my children the more screen time they get the more they want and their behaviour deteriorates. Also, at the moment they don't use it to socially apart from the odd email so they aren't actually going to excluded from anything by not being on it during the week. Once they are older and using it to communicate with their friends I'll have to reassess.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 13:13
It might be a phase, there is probably some addictive game that he is trying to master. Try having a talk with him, see what game it is and if you could arrange something where he completes one level or phase a day (provided they aren't levels that last for hours on end). It's really important that while gaming he keeps a proper back posture, I think that is the worst thing really. Usually boys at school talk about all the games they play and the levels they reached so I don't see it as a problem that would lead to him becoming anti-social. I have a baby and her time with technology ends as soon as I find her waving a phone/ipad/tv remote around. I have an old school cassette player with old tapes of children's songs and surprisingly she has already learned how to keep pressing buttons till the music starts. This is definitely going to be a problem later on. I'm interested to know what other parents are doing.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 12:56
Oh dear, I think that parents all around the world can relate to your problem. Unfortunately, I think that it only gets worse as they get older. At 10 years old it was relatively straightforward; I didn't buy any devices. We had one family computer in a communal area and one family ipad locked in a drawer. It became impractical at secondary school because so much of the homework was done on computers and their social lives also revolved around Skype etc. Teachers even complain if pupils don't pick up their emails often enough, so we had to accommodate. I then had a running battle with my son for a few years. How can you discriminate between time spent gaming and time spent on homework? They can flick between tabs so quickly and soon learn to clear a browsing history. Then, a breakthrough, my son decided a couple of months ago that computer games were consuming too much of his life. He handed me his ipad and deleted the games on his desktop. I am delighted to say that he joined us is the pool this weekend, has started running again and seems to be on top of his school work at last. I think that computers are extremely addictive. This has been recognised in some countries; parents can now be prosecuted in China for not controlling access. I understand that the pressure is immense, but keep them away from temptation for as long as you possibly can.
Latest post on 03 May 2015 - 12:19
My 10 year old son LOVES his iPad and Xbox time! He used to be happy with 1 hour a day after school before homework etc. but lately, he's started complaining that 1 hour is not enough and says that all his friends get much longer. He's allowed free access to them at the weekend but not allowed to take them out of the house. He does plenty of sports/activities/reading and we play lots of card/board games but he's actually getting to the point of being sad/down in the dumps when he cant access his technology! Anyone have any advise or tips please? TIA

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY