Oily hair... | ExpatWoman.com

Oily hair...

Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 10:00

My hair is always oily! Although I wash it daily but its never clean any more..I changed many "commercial" shampoos and I still get the oily look even few minutes after its washed.

Is it the shampoo or do i need to do some tests?

do you have any suggestions for a good hair shampoo?

Latest post on 16 July 2015 - 08:39
I had this problem when I moved here and I was using Head and Shoulders, I can't use it here anymore as my hair constantly looked greasy and limp. I will probably leave hairdressers aghast at this solution but I made up a mixture of 1 or 2 tablespoons of your shampoo and maybe 3/4 of a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda and used it as normal as a shampoo. It totally removed all the greasy residue that had built up from using the head and shoulders in one wash. I guess it works as a super strength clarifying shampoo but its not a long term solution as its probably not the best for your scalp or hair however good to do if like me you were desperate just to have that clean feeling in your scalp.
Latest post on 16 July 2015 - 00:02
Some people with oily hair use conditioner before shampooing. This reverse routine is supposed to help wash out all of the residues that hold the hair down and make it oily. Another thing you could do is use tea tree oil, either mix it with water or with almond oil and rub it in your hair, leave it about 10 minutes then wash your hair as normal . The tea tree oil (main ingredient) helps dry out your scalp so it won't look or feel oily. The almond oil is just good for the hair, it doesn't have any effect on the oily hair problem. Just don't put too much tea tree oil or use it undiluted as it can dry out your scalp too much. Tea tree oil also effective on the face if you have oily skin. If you use too much you will know as your skin will be overly dry. If you go down the path of trying to wash your hair less. You must buy a dry shampoo spray or use baby powder in between washes.
Latest post on 30 June 2015 - 09:52
This is interesting, and you might want to consider it? http://www.expatwoman.com/dubai/monthly_beauty_hair_nails_no_shampoo_14879.aspx Otherwise OP, my advice would be to visit your hair salon and discuss it with your hairdresser during a consultation. It's clearly causing concern for you, and every woman's hair type is different and will require different methods of care and cleansing.
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 23:10
I'm a hairdresser and you should wash your hair everyday! Hair needs moisture and you get this through washing daily! You wash your body everyday...wash your hair!! Nothing worse than limp greasy hair! Unfortunately greasy hair is a problem which is very hard to solve other than washing daily!
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 13:02
Its not your hair that's oily its your scalp that's producing too much sebum, wash your scalp as often as you need but avoid massaging your head during shampooing as that will stimulate it to produce more oil, the more gentle you are when applying the shampoo the better. Best use an organic or clarifying shampoo and add a few drops of lemon essential oil to the shampoo. You can also make an spray atomiser of water and lemon essential oil to use between washes to keep you hair fresh all day. If you get one of those little plastic spray mister bottles from Daiso you could carry it to work too. Lemon essential oil reduces sebum production. hth
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 12:55
Try giving your hair a break from washing! Also, try the "Mane n Tail" Clarifying Shampoo from Waitrose, I oil my hair a lot and use this to remove the oil, works great!
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 12:30
Actually, you should really wash your hair daily with a shampoo as dirt and dust build up on our hair everyday especially with the weather of UAE. and for hygiene purposes, you should really do this to avoid bacteria that can cause acne from Hair. It's not true about it will make your hair more oily or greasier. It's hygiene. But!!! You need to stop conditioning your hair everyday or put any mousse or hair serum as this escalates the oily look. and try to use a different brand of Shampoo too (dry shampoo is best)
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 10:54
I would recommend you some home remedies. I saw a link - see more here - http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/oily-hair-care-home-remedies/
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 10:43
Don't use conditioner. Try one day to just use shampoo and see if that works. If you need to use conditioner then only put it on the ends of your hair not the entire head. This has worked for me. Since moving to Dubai I noticed the same thing happened to me, greesey hair. Now I only use conditioner maybe twice a week. I hope this helps.
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 10:42
Thank you ladies, The reason to why i wash my hair daily is because i want to get rid of the oily greasy look! I have meetings almost every day at work and I really feel insecure when my hair looks oily and not clean :( will try the organic shampoos and see...I hope it will solve it But this is what we're saying, washing it every day is actually the problem and causing it to be oily. Realistically, you only ever need to wash your hair a few days a week.
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 10:38
Thank you ladies, The reason to why i wash my hair daily is because i want to get rid of the oily greasy look! I have meetings almost every day at work and I really feel insecure when my hair looks oily and not clean :( will try the organic shampoos and see...I hope it will solve it
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 10:30
Try an organic shampoo/conditioner that doesn't contain parabans or sulphates, these added chemicals strip your hair of the natural oils but an organic shampoo is much more kind to it. I go to the gym most days so have to wash my hair most days too. I switched to Dr Organics Coconut oil shampoo and conditioner which is available from the pharmacy and it really has made a difference to the condition of my hair.
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 10:14
Yes, you've got to stop washing your hair every day. To help get over the "bad" days try using a dry shampoo in between washes. Washing two or three times a week should be enough.
Latest post on 29 June 2015 - 10:12
Well you could actually be washing your hair too much. If you're washing every day, you're stripping the oils out too quickly and that could make them come back even oilier and greasier. Try using a medicated shampoo like Vosene once a week - it's brilliant for keeping the scalp and hair healthy.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY