Someone please tell this mother | ExpatWoman.com

Someone please tell this mother

Latest post on 04 July 2015 - 11:59
Whatever it was they went off to do, they admit to being elsewhere and there is no excuse for leaving the baby alone in the sea in a plastic toy which is not a proper inflatable device, it could have tipped over while they were up on the beach even if they thought it was not going to drift off. I agree both parents are responsible, they should be prosecuted IMO, I did not even see the father in the footage at all, very strange, you would think he would have been at the mothers side taking the baby out of the hands of the coastguard. Looking at other mainstream media reports they allude to the fact that they may have been sunbathing. [i'>Her parents had left Melda Ilgin in the crib, and were not aware of what had happened until other sunbathers at the beach warned them, according to state-run Anadolu news agency.[/i'> So anyway they left the child in the water alone and went off to do something else, does it really matter what? So what if they were not entertaining themselves? Who leaves a baby alone in the sea while they are settling in on the beach? I really cannot see the point in trying to split hairs over what these "parents" were doing while their baby drifted out to sea.
Latest post on 04 July 2015 - 11:43
Just to add: Interesting, though, that at least one of the more 'factually'-oriented newspapers has quite a different take on the Mirror's tabloid beat-up. [i'>"The Ilgin family had placed the child in the flotation device and were apparently settling in on the beach when they realised she was not where they left her."[/i'> While I still agree that the parents should have been absolutely focused on their baby's welfare etc, there was no mention of the parents going off to sunbathe while they'd abandoned their child (or similar wording). It looks -- according to the Torygraph and several other reports at least -- that they put her in the float thing, and were sorting out themselves before they proceeded on with their day. No mention of them entertaining themselves while they left the child to float out to sea.
Latest post on 04 July 2015 - 11:39
Agree: nightmare scenario. Might want to remember that there was a DAD involved in this as well though. Both parents share responsibility for their addled-pated actions, however: they went to the beach as a family, and while I take nothing away from the horrific situation, one would hope we're long past the days where mothers have to take all responsibility for these sorts of catastrophes. Glad everything turned out well in the end though.
Latest post on 04 July 2015 - 09:51
That its not ok to put your baby in an inflatable plastic toy duck and leave it in the sea while you go off to sun bathe. I really hope someone teaches her some sense, it looks like the baby had no sun hat or sunscreen on either not to mention a proper lifejacket! http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/baby-drifts-1km-out-sea-5995787#rlabs=2 Incredible!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY