Repton school timings changed | ExpatWoman.com

Repton school timings changed

Latest post on 16 August 2015 - 19:12

Hi! Was wondering if your schools, whichever they are, are changing their timings as well. Thursday they will finish early at 12:50pm????

Latest post on 25 October 2015 - 11:48
and how long/how many minutes is a class period in your school?
Latest post on 25 October 2015 - 10:02
Defmom, Repton got an outstanding rating from the KHDA this year so they must be doing something right or have rectified (according to the many leavers) what they were doing wrong. Friends that I know who left had no problem what so ever with the standard of education or the quality of staff. Many left because they didn't want to be in a school that had one or two dominant nationalities. If you accept that you're in a country where there are MANY different nationalities and its not little Britain, you will probably be very happy with Repton. The KHDA inspection is actually as rigorous if not more so than an Ofstead inspection. Repton is a relatively old school now by Dubai standards so wont have the teething or settling in problems of the newer schools. Be guided by your instinct. These boards are not the right forum to get any kind of objective or impartial opinion any more, unfortunately. Good luck with your decision. Keep in mind too that children from east of the UAE are generally very motivated and hard working and will set a high academic standard in a classroom. I really dislike where you’re going with your reasoning for leavers and would question objectivity. The little Britain analogy is as far from what I know of from personal experience, certainly for us it was for educational reasons. Sorry if that offends you Countess Wrinkle but the fact is, many people that have left did so because they felt the school had lost its British Heritage. Uncomfortable and all as that is for some people to accept, it is the reality and perhaps some honest people who left will confirm that although they possibly wont as they're the ones who are residing in the predominately British schools and wont even look at this thread. Personally, I would HATE if my children went to a school dominated by British kids but that statement in itself is not PC but that's how I feel. I wouldn't have brought my kids to such a multicultural society if I wanted them to hang out with mostly western expat children. A very simplified view of a far deeper complex issue, multiculturalism is not the issue and to suggest so in such a simplistic way is rather Daily Fail-esque! The mere suggestion of who a parent wishes their child to hang out with or which school to attend based on the student body nationality whiffs of stereotypical shallow underlying racism, which is sardonic to say the least. To respond on the same agenda when categorically someone took the time to state quite clearly this was not the issue for them achieves what exactly? My children have moved to equally multicultural schools as have others I know, many of those are certainly not symbolic of “a little Britain culture or ethnicity”. So I’m not sure whose reality it is that you write of, from first-hand experience it is not mine nor others I know. To suggest so vehemently that this is the one and only reason why movement has occurred shows a lack of understanding of the issues that some parents considered enough to change schools. Parents have the right and ability to change schools, to put reasoning down to one singular issue as to why parents move their children from any school will not address or help schools identify why movement is occurring. I still have friends in the school and many are happy, that is their prerogative.
Latest post on 24 October 2015 - 04:10
I am a parent that left and my reasons for leaving were also based on the quality of the education my child was receiving.
Latest post on 22 October 2015 - 20:40
Defmom, Repton got an outstanding rating from the KHDA this year so they must be doing something right or have rectified (according to the many leavers) what they were doing wrong. Friends that I know who left had no problem what so ever with the standard of education or the quality of staff. Many left because they didn't want to be in a school that had one or two dominant nationalities. If you accept that you're in a country where there are MANY different nationalities and its not little Britain, you will probably be very happy with Repton. The KHDA inspection is actually as rigorous if not more so than an Ofstead inspection. Repton is a relatively old school now by Dubai standards so wont have the teething or settling in problems of the newer schools. Be guided by your instinct. These boards are not the right forum to get any kind of objective or impartial opinion any more, unfortunately. Good luck with your decision. Keep in mind too that children from east of the UAE are generally very motivated and hard working and will set a high academic standard in a classroom. I really dislike where you’re going with your reasoning for leavers and would question objectivity. The little Britain analogy is as far from what I know of from personal experience, certainly for us it was for educational reasons. Sorry if that offends you Countess Wrinkle but the fact is, many people that have left did so because they felt the school had lost its British Heritage. Uncomfortable and all as that is for some people to accept, it is the reality and perhaps some honest people who left will confirm that although they possibly wont as they're the ones who are residing in the predominately British schools and wont even look at this thread. Personally, I would HATE if my children went to a school dominated by British kids but that statement in itself is not PC but that's how I feel. I wouldn't have brought my kids to such a multicultural society if I wanted them to hang out with mostly western expat children.
Latest post on 14 October 2015 - 22:40
Defmom, Repton got an outstanding rating from the KHDA this year so they must be doing something right or have rectified (according to the many leavers) what they were doing wrong. Friends that I know who left had no problem what so ever with the standard of education or the quality of staff. Many left because they didn't want to be in a school that had one or two dominant nationalities. If you accept that you're in a country where there are MANY different nationalities and its not little Britain, you will probably be very happy with Repton. The KHDA inspection is actually as rigorous if not more so than an Ofstead inspection. Repton is a relatively old school now by Dubai standards so wont have the teething or settling in problems of the newer schools. Be guided by your instinct. These boards are not the right forum to get any kind of objective or impartial opinion any more, unfortunately. Good luck with your decision. Keep in mind too that children from east of the UAE are generally very motivated and hard working and will set a high academic standard in a classroom.
Latest post on 14 October 2015 - 19:36
I too would like to know what has lead to the negative comments on Repton. I have visited the school twice now for my daughter for Fs1 for Jan but lots of comments here and confusing. I actually really liked there junior section. The negative comments always get deleted so no one can give you a honest opinion. Its better to go with your own feeling rather than worrying what strangers say on a forum. If you don't like it you could always move later once the better schools have space.
Latest post on 14 October 2015 - 19:24
I too would like to know what has lead to the negative comments on Repton. I have visited the school twice now for my daughter for Fs1 for Jan but lots of comments here and confusing. I actually really liked there junior section.
Latest post on 04 October 2015 - 18:16
In all fairness though it's not just a few who have left, it's literally hundreds of families, so it's not surprising that some of them are on here. Having choice and a degree of honesty in the schools available to people in Dubai can only be a good thing surely? I'm soon moving to Dubai and was considering Repton for my kids. However after reading some negative comments, I'm now in double minds. Could you please give some details as to why such negativity prevails for Repton? What exactly has led the parents to withdraw their kids from this school? If u would not like to reply on this forum, I'll pass you my email address.. But please help me out.
Latest post on 14 September 2015 - 19:52
Please give details about Repton.
Latest post on 25 August 2015 - 15:09
In all fairness though it's not just a few who have left, it's literally hundreds of families, so it's not surprising that some of them are on here. Having choice and a degree of honesty in the schools available to people in Dubai can only be a good thing surely?
Latest post on 23 August 2015 - 11:40
Think its great! Their week is so full on. My kids have already decided, they're using the extra time to get their homework out of the way so that they can enjoy the entire weekend! Friends were telling me JPS has always finished early on Thursdays at 1:30 and it doesn't seem to have affected its reputation. I just love how people (a specific few on this board) who've made the choice to leave Repton feel that they need to comment on every post negatively. It just reeks of insecurity.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY