I'm sending my 3yo son to nursery and I feel terrible! I want to cry! | ExpatWoman.com

I'm sending my 3yo son to nursery and I feel terrible! I want to cry!

Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 21:21
LaDiDa I feel for you as I am going through something similar with my little girl who has just turned one :-( I still don't know if I am doing the right thing but I will give it a chance and see how things work out. Meanwhile I am worried she will be mentally scarred for life by this experience! At least it is distracting me from the horror of going back to work ;-) Good luck to you and your boy. Aww. It's tough isn't it? At least you have a reason to send yours (work). I'm a stay at home mum! I know there are some nurseries who have CCTV cameras and you can log in during the day to see how they're doing. I know it will be tough for the first few days. One mum told me that it won't be easy until the first month is over - waaaaah. Good luck to you also, work will help make the hours go by faster. Is your office close to her nursery? Nursery is close to home rather than work. When is your son's first day? I am leaving my daughter there on her own for the first time tomorrow. How did you go today, GiantPanda? Water works,I bet? Son's first day is Sunday :cry:
Latest post on 03 September 2015 - 21:18
Your feelings are normal.......some find it a bit easier than others dealing with your first child's first day at school. That saying give them wings and set them free comes to mind. As you yourself say he seems to be quite ready but you aren't..........that's the issue. The best thing you can do for your LO is give him the tools to handle the world out there. I will be seeing my grandson off tomorrow for his first day at " Big School " , he is beside himself with excitement and has been wearing his backpack around for the last week. His mom can't wait, being the second child and after a LONG summer everyone needs the break ! :party: Nomad, I think you hit it on the head. I'm definitely not ready to see them grow so fast. We didn't expect him to start so soon (if we were back in Australia, he would have started in January 2017!!!) So it was a huge slap in the face for him to start so soon as I wasn't expecting it. The more I speak to his teachers and school, the more comfortable I feel. He's my little best friend, especially in a foreign land and with a hubby flying out often for work, it gets tough.
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 22:55
LaDiDa I feel for you as I am going through something similar with my little girl who has just turned one :-( I still don't know if I am doing the right thing but I will give it a chance and see how things work out. Meanwhile I am worried she will be mentally scarred for life by this experience! At least it is distracting me from the horror of going back to work ;-) Good luck to you and your boy. Aww. It's tough isn't it? At least you have a reason to send yours (work). I'm a stay at home mum! I know there are some nurseries who have CCTV cameras and you can log in during the day to see how they're doing. I know it will be tough for the first few days. One mum told me that it won't be easy until the first month is over - waaaaah. Good luck to you also, work will help make the hours go by faster. Is your office close to her nursery? Nursery is close to home rather than work. When is your son's first day? I am leaving my daughter there on her own for the first time tomorrow.
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 22:54
Your feelings are normal.......some find it a bit easier than others dealing with your first child's first day at school. That saying give them wings and set them free comes to mind. As you yourself say he seems to be quite ready but you aren't..........that's the issue. The best thing you can do for your LO is give him the tools to handle the world out there. I will be seeing my grandson off tomorrow for his first day at " Big School " , he is beside himself with excitement and has been wearing his backpack around for the last week. His mom can't wait, being the second child and after a LONG summer everyone needs the break ! :party:
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 22:24
LaDiDa I feel for you as I am going through something similar with my little girl who has just turned one :-( I still don't know if I am doing the right thing but I will give it a chance and see how things work out. Meanwhile I am worried she will be mentally scarred for life by this experience! At least it is distracting me from the horror of going back to work ;-) Good luck to you and your boy. Aww. It's tough isn't it? At least you have a reason to send yours (work). I'm a stay at home mum! I know there are some nurseries who have CCTV cameras and you can log in during the day to see how they're doing. I know it will be tough for the first few days. One mum told me that it won't be easy until the first month is over - waaaaah. Good luck to you also, work will help make the hours go by faster. Is your office close to her nursery?
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 22:15
Aww, I totally understand :) We're also new here, 3 weeks, but my kids are older so I was glad school started quickly to give them something better to do than watch me research things on this forum and drive around with me in circles as I try to find specific places :D When my oldest was 4, I had recently moved to Egypt and felt exactly the same level of anxiety as you, so I entered the same nursery as a teacher to make sure the environment was okay. Once they were settled and I stopped working, I spent my newly empty mornings preparing after-school activities for them (art, outings, etc) to allay my guilt about being away for them - for at least the first year lol. And making them nice after-school snacks etc.. it was basically coping with an empty nest and no job to fill it since I was only free for a few hours in the morning. Here I don't think the quality/treatment concerns will be as severe since there are proper inspections and standards.. you can expect the teachers to be trained and hopefully supportive of his spirit! But definitely trust your gut feeling about places and perhaps consider others if this one seems too cold..
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 22:07
LaDiDa I feel for you as I am going through something similar with my little girl who has just turned one :-( I still don't know if I am doing the right thing but I will give it a chance and see how things work out. Meanwhile I am worried she will be mentally scarred for life by this experience! At least it is distracting me from the horror of going back to work ;-) Good luck to you and your boy.
Latest post on 02 September 2015 - 21:55
Personally I say "screw the KG admissions fears" and do what you feel is right to do now. Some kids are really ready for preschool and others can use more time at home. My son was ready at 4 and my daughter at 3.. for both I am so grateful that I had that choice to make! I feel that my son is much more independent-minded than my daughter because he wasn't surrounded by peers/a group until his identity was more fully formed -- and she's better able to work with peers but often too impressionable. I really see benefits to both early and delayed entry and would go by what you see in your own child's personalityy.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY