Making guns in school | ExpatWoman.com

Making guns in school

Latest post on 26 November 2015 - 21:05
"And my point is that guns do not kill people - people kill people." I agree. We try so much to shield our LOs from violence and hate. And I feel that it's important that we instill in them the values that will pretty much dictate how they will behave when we are not there. Sometimes when we cartoons, I'll' ask my sons "Do you think that's right?", "Do you think its okay to do that?", just to see how they react and correct them if needed. Guns DO kill people
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 15:24
"Guns do not kill people - people kill people" The simple irrefutable fact is that access to guns makes it far easier for people to kill people. Both accidentally and intentionally. Do you think the correlation between the high rate of gun ownership and the high rate of firearm related death in the US is simply a coincidence? Agreed. This is like the vaccination argument. You're in one camp or you're in the other. Does anyone ever change their mind? Guns do not kill people - but people with guns in their hands kill people.
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 15:17
"Guns do not kill people - people kill people" The simple irrefutable fact is that access to guns makes it far easier for people to kill people. Both accidentally and intentionally. Do you think the correlation between the high rate of gun ownership and the high rate of firearm related death in the US is simply a coincidence?
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 12:24
"And my point is that guns do not kill people - people kill people." I agree. We try so much to shield our LOs from violence and hate. And I feel that it's important that we instill in them the values that will pretty much dictate how they will behave when we are not there. Sometimes when we cartoons, I'll' ask my sons "Do you think that's right?", "Do you think its okay to do that?", just to see how they react and correct them if needed.
Latest post on 25 November 2015 - 02:47
I always vowed never to let my children have toy guns or other weapons. It failed miserably with the boys. They used rulers, sticks from the garden, Lego, anything and made loud bang bang your dead sort of noises. They enjoyed pretending to be soldiers and I suspect doing so helps them make sense of what they see in the media. They grew up to be kind and gentle young men who still like James Bond films but would never hurt anyone.
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 13:32
The original post has gone........but the issue here is that once your child goes to school they are no longer under your influence alone anymore. They will pick up bad (and good) habits and games from their class-mates, teachers, TAs, even the school security guys. It is then up to you counteract this by teaching your child the way that you expect them to behave and play. The gun incident may have happened during 'free play'- I hope so. The teacher can not be responsible for every interaction that happens during school hours. At some point children need to be able to assess whether a game is appropriate behaviour or not. They should be definitely be doing this by the age of 5. The other issue was the lack of attention you feel that the teacher is giving you and your child- I would say that the couple of situations you mentioned involved the teacher already engaged with someone else. It would have been far ruder for her to have stopped these conversations abruptly don't you think? It must be a difficult balancing act to please all of the children in a class and give equal attention to all their parents on top. They are only human afterall. I think you are being way too sensitive to be honest and as long as your child is learning well and is happy at school you should be pleased.
Latest post on 24 November 2015 - 11:45
"Guns do not kill people, only people do" - agree. Teaching kids what guns are and how to use them or live with them is important. I would not tell my son that knives do not exist. I would tell him we use it to cut vegetables and he should not touch it until later, and if he sees guys with knives at a dark street, he should run quick. We grew up in the neighborhood playing with plastic guns but none of us became neither murderers nor army.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY