Penang | ExpatWoman.com

Penang

Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 10:24

Just wanted to thank those ladies who took the trouble to post hotel recommendations/sightseeing in Penang. We have booked accordingly, thank you again, much appreciated.:)

Latest post on 07 March 2016 - 11:31
Hey happ1, glad to hear that you are going to Penang! I'm Malaysian and as a kid, we used to go to Penang for holidays. Seems like you have plenty of recommendations already so the only thing I can add is to try to food at the food stalls at Gurney Drive (spoken like a true Malaysian!). The chilli crabs are a must try as is much of the seafood. There are some places that sell fried bao (steamed buns), really tasty!
Latest post on 05 March 2016 - 13:01
Hi happ1 Of course you are not rambling! How strange! I was born in Penang many years ago but have been away so many years now so can only give you information on what knowledge I know and have experience of. I had to explain re the tips on GST (govt sales tax) as I bought a few items from Selangor Pewter. Correction on one point. At the check in is Land side and that’s where I purchased my goods. When I reached Airside to claim for my GST, they wanted the missing form then. The sales girl was asked to bring the form from Landside to Airside. I was embarrassed for all the fuss made but I did purchase a few items. No problem at Dubai airport here as you have these in your luggage. I almost forgot. If you are staying at E & O Hotel, they don't do laundry. Have a safe trip! x
Latest post on 05 March 2016 - 12:10
Thank you gunpowder 13 so kind of you to post, we have booked into the places you mentioned so it's all good! Very helpful advice re' shopping and vat. One of my older sisters was actually born in Penang when our father was stationed there during the fifties, it's somewhere I've always wanted to go having been surrounded by old black and white photos of mum, dad and rest of the family squinting into the camera whilst on a deserted beach or posing next to a palm tree! My parents loved Penang and spoke of it often, sadly they're no longer with us but I wanted to take the opportunity to 'walk in their footsteps'. Rambling...apologies!:lol:
Latest post on 04 March 2016 - 20:18
Dear happ1 I am SO late, you have booked your hotel now. Never mind. But some info below, maybe for other readers. Ignore the ones you are not interested. My husband and I stayed at the G Hotel, Gurney Drive in Penang in 2013. At that time, there was a good deal for the executive rooms where you can have cocktails and canapés each evening before sunset. If you decide to choose this level, you can also have buffet breakfast although there are more choices on the ground floor. Next to the hotel is the Gurney Plaza. In the evening you can walk along Gurney Drive (next to the sea) and go to one of the hawker stalls. All within walking distance. Shopping. Selangor Pewter. A tip for you. If you buy anything that you are going to claim back the VAT equivalent, make sure you have a form/note from the shop as the receipt do not count. Otherwise you can still buy it airside in KL airport but still need that note from the retail shop. For the beach at Batu Ferringhi. I stayed at Rasa Sayang Resort and Spa last October. This is part of the Shangri-la group and has its own beach. Buffet breakfast. I gave it an eight out of 10. Not as good as One World Hotel in PJ where the buffet was almost perfect. E & O Hotel. A colonial-times hotel where the doorman wears a traditional colonial dress with pith helmet. Some rooms a wee bit small. Convenient if you wish to walk to the local shops in Penang Road. Hotel’s next to the sea. Afternoon tea? I prefer the one at Raffles in Spore. Sama Sama Hotel at the KL Intl airport is a good one to stay overnight if you have an early flight to catch back. Booking.com or agoda.com Have a super trip. x
Latest post on 08 February 2016 - 13:10
Have a fabulous holiday. If you have even half as good a time as we did in KL last March you will be more than happy??

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY