Toddler food....help please | ExpatWoman.com

Toddler food....help please

Latest post on 20 May 2016 - 17:28
I would avoid making too much of a deal of meal times, don't do funny shapes etc. Kids will eat when they are eventually hungry, maybe pure some vegetables in the foods they like and they don't notice. If you think the child doesn't get enough nutrition and is underweight take it to a pediatrician for advice, a lot of the times parents panic unnecessary. I never gave my children fish fingers, chicken nuggets, funny shape food, as I use to think about children in third world countries, if they are hungry they eat a bowl of rice or whatever,sometimes I think we are the ones making our children fussy.
Latest post on 19 May 2016 - 20:38
Also another important factor is that as babies and small children we eat when hungry....we don't eat as infants becos of other factors such as boredom, social conditioning ie set meal times, rewards etc. If we could maintain this only eating when hungry that we have as children then much of later life obesity, diabetes etc wouldn't happen. Let her serve herself at mealtimes...if she doesn't eat then ignore fact she hasn't eaten. Keep some sliced apple or carrot or cucumber sticks in the fridge...let her know she can ask for those. Good luck.
Latest post on 19 May 2016 - 20:08
That age of child is an age where appetite can drop off. As adults we forget how tiny their stomachs are and it doesn't take much to fill them up. Avoid making an issue of eating otherwise kids start to use as a means of getting attention. I used to find best way of getting mine to eat was sitting together as a family...putting food in dishes in centre of table and helping ourselves...if they saw us helping then they wanted some. If I just put on plate then often untouched. Let them eat...kids very very rarely starve..they will eat when hungry. ( avoid giving too much milk as many just fill up on milk) Get her to help you cook..mine are better when they had helped make dinner.
Latest post on 19 May 2016 - 17:49
Maybe find some fun cartoons or educational shows that feature fruits and veggies. If she sees the characters eating them she might get more interested. You could also create a situation (one weekend) where you remove everything from your fridge and only put those items you wish her to eat in there. Then let her open the fridge and "explore." You may start to notice certain items she chooses to reach for. Make it the toddler's idea :)
Latest post on 19 May 2016 - 14:07
As it happens there is an article in today's UK newspaper - Telegraph - about woman in California who creates detail art works with food for her 6 children to make it more interesting! Really is art work too - must take her ages - tableaux of little deers, owls etc - sorry don't have link but it can be easily found today.
Latest post on 19 May 2016 - 11:18
Thank you ladies, So yesterday i sent her a cheese sandwich to nursery, i had cut it into a star shape hoping it will encourage her. When i picked her up i realised it was untouched. I was so deflated but in the car she did have a nibble. It's definitely working but will be a long journey. Will try the shapes with fruit too. I find that if I offer her food she refuses I tend to leave it out and in her own time she will have a go. This obviously does mean she does not always eat with us but glad that she is giving it a go. I made some noodles in hopes the slurping it up action would work, my three yr old really helped and managed to get her to eat it all up. She also like to eat herself, loves the spoons and forks or even cocktail sticks...i just need to be more creative with her. Thanks again x
Latest post on 18 May 2016 - 12:05
Daza is spot on about not fretting and making food a battleground. If the child is healthy and growing, stop worrying they will eat enough regardless. Battles or giving them complete control by showing your distress now will create problems down the line. Finger food is still good - pepper, cucumber, apple, raw broccoli, carrots, radish, melon, toast, pitta, hummus or other dips. Do not feed between meals so they are hungry - obviously is everyone is having an ice cream they do too but keep routine for meals. All eat together and all eat same thing. So put finger food up as a salad side dish. No pressure at all - if they eat, they eat. If they don't they will next time. No persuasion, no alternatives, no feeding them, no tension - make it a pleasure.
Latest post on 18 May 2016 - 12:04
If you have shaped cookie cutters like hearts, flowers shapes or stars you can make some vegs. and fruits into those shapes to make them more interesting and attractive?
Latest post on 18 May 2016 - 10:19
Don't worry if your child won't eat her vegetables. It's a natural response to ensure that she won't eat something poisonous (you know, back when we were cave-people). Serve them to her every day and ask that she try a bite but the most important thing is for her to see you eating and enjoying different foods. Make sure you always eat with her and make a point of saying how delicious broccoli is (or whatever). Eventually, she will eat it.
Latest post on 18 May 2016 - 10:08
Have you tried making cutlets with vegetables (boiled and mashed). The small crispy cutlets interests my son and he has some happily. But .. yes.. it's a nightmare to get these kids to eat something. .. my daughter was the same when she was small...but after 4 years.. thank god. .she has a much better eating habit.. So like Daza mentioned. . Don't get worried about it too much.. am sure it will change ?
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 19:58
There are ways to sneak in veggies. You just need to keep on experimenting. I put steamed and pureed vegs into baby cereals, which my toddler enjoys from time to time. I learned to make veggie pancakes and now experimenting with different vegetables and combinations. But don't fall into the trap of cooking different food for your toddler. S/he needs to learn to eat a family food from table and eat those food you cook for her as a snack. My elder used to eat and enjoy bread only when he was a toddler. But eventually he grew out of it. Yours is eating curries and yogurt, which is already good.
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 18:48
Thanks Daza, I will definitely try to make it more fun, lacking inspiration atm but will google a few. Hopefully it will work. Thanks again
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 18:28
I know it's hard and toddlers can be little horrors but you need to step back and stop making mealtimes such a battleground. Even if it means changing your eating routine for a while it's worth sitting down with her for every meal and eating with her. Don't fight with her, chat, keep it light, talk about how much you are enjoying your food but don't overdo it. If she doesn't eat don't beg, threaten or punish just roll with it try again next time. If you aren't already it might also be worth trying to make the food a bit more fun. My toddler won't eat meatballs but if I put them on a stick he'll happily eat them. Toddlers are weird :lol:
Latest post on 17 May 2016 - 16:44
Hi ladies, I'm at my wits end. My two year old use to be a great foodie from when she started weaning up until the age of 16 months. She is now 25 months and refuses everything. She can easily just survive on milk. I put my foot down and only offer her milk when she goes to bed, has a nap and when she wakes up in the morning. The only thing she will eat is roti with chicken or lamb curry, which i am happy to give her but not every single day. (I tried it with lentils and veg but she spat it out) She also asks for toast which i cut in 16 small squares...from that she will only eats about four. She happily eats yoghurt too. But i can not get any fruit or veg in her in anyway. I make homemade pizzas with hidden veg sauce which she refuses, i've tried quiches, fish bites, veg burgers and many other things but she just throws tantrums. I have introduced time out to her as it worked for my eldest but my 25 month old will cry and cry but refuse to give in. She is stubborn in everything and i really don't know what to do now. Any advice will be appreciated.

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY