Multiple appliances fusing - help! | ExpatWoman.com

Multiple appliances fusing - help!

Latest post on 03 December 2016 - 13:03
Can't thank you enough Skyfall! What a revelation! I have been searching on google for causes for fuse switches tripping but this is important information needed for here. I would never have thought of any of it at all. Will still keep the appointment with electrician coming tomorrow and ask these points you raise as he is booked now - especial about DEWA and their requirements. Great respect for your knowledge! What I found out were just briefly list of causes for fuses tripping, for anyone interested - 1.Fuse designed for too small a circuit 2. Certain appliance can cause electricity spike that trip fuses 3. Faulty wiring ( 30year old wiring) 4. Faulty appliances 5. Bad quality fuses. 6. Spikes propagated to fuse box from outside - such as neighbour .7. Other.... Will get on to Emaar to morrow regarding supply to my floor.
Latest post on 03 December 2016 - 11:11
The problem is that your flat simply does not have enough power supplied to enable the use of certain electrical appliances. Back in the days when flats were built a hob required let's say 1.3kW, our new hob is 11kW!!! That is a gigantic increase thus the switch board used to flip constantly. We are in a Damac building and faced the same issue. We used Goettling, who have an amazing electrician, Satya. He did a brilliant job, full rewiring of the whole section. Very knowledgable. First step is to find out if your DEWA sheet in your flat matches up to what you are using, ie. it has to state the number of water heaters you have and how many kWs it uses, make sure you do have all of those appliances and that they indeed use that amount of kW, I doubt it as I said, manufacturers have increased the usage a lot. Create a new sheet by listing all of your electrical appliances in the flat, including tv, etc...every single thing, even your kettle, you'll be surprised to learn how fast things add up and how many items we actually do use simultaneously. You can also start turning off water heaters that you never use, for example in case of a guest bathroom and simply switch it on once you have a guest etc... Second step get in touch with Goettling, they are in Business Bay. You can explain it all to them. Third step is your building management company, ask them how much supply your floor has allocated to it, the full floor, then your flat alone. Important numbers, ask them if there is room for extra power on that floor, sometimes they allow 2kW, etc...every little helps ;) Then DEWA has to be involved as you are increasing the power supply to your flat, tad tedious but once again worth having all the correct documentation. Then with all knowledge at hand, including a quote for the works you can prepare yourself for a ton of noise and dust within the apartment, this can include the use of jackhammers to make way for new cables in the wall, etc... Having said all of this, it is sooooo worth it!!! We are super happy to have gone through all the mess and headache, we can use everything safely now and it has all made our flat much tidier as well. It is good to know what happens within your flat, in terms of both electricity and water. Happy to help you more if need be as I went through the exact same thing. :nerd: P.S.: Install main switches as well that can turn your oven+hob on, its great to have those as you can turn them off when you travel, you can have one installed for the dishwasher too on the wall, etc...
Latest post on 03 December 2016 - 09:59
Many of my kitchen appliances are fusing at the fuse box - turning the switches off - that is the oven, water heater and the washing machine! As I had clothes in washing machine I called in someone who could come that day - Wednesday, last week. They decided the problem was the dishwasher - which I actually never use and disconnected it at the fuse box! Since then the problem has continued with the water heater and oven switching off again. I switched the water heater on but cannot get oven to work now! I have called in another electrician for tomorrow - but that company did not seem keen to come - saying it was an appliance problem - but I pointed out all the appliances are unlikely to go at once! I am in an Emaar building and the property has never had ''hard use'' or ever been rented. I hope I do not have to re - wire! Any advice or recommendations for an amazingly brilliant electrican appreciated. Has anyone had to rewire a flat's main appliances?

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY