HELP!!!! How do authorities handle dog bites??? | ExpatWoman.com

HELP!!!! How do authorities handle dog bites???

Latest post on 18 April 2017 - 20:01

I am out of my mind right now because my dog got off his leash and bit our crazy neighbour's dog. It's not serious but he drew blood. Unfortunately crazy neighbour HATES us for some reason and is now absolutely DELIGHTED about going to the police and "showing us". Went on and on about how our dog would be destroyed because he attacked his dog and his maid.
I saw the whole thing. Yes, he went for the dog for some reason. But he didn't even LOOK at the maid. And the moment we yelled his name. He came running back to us.
The fact that the crazy neighbour shows up at our door to show us the damage to his dog by holding the poor animal up in the air by the leash also makes me sick to my stomach. But right now I'm more concerned about MY dog.
Does ANYONE have ANY idea how this would be handled by the authorities???
Surely they wouldn't put a dog down based on one not-remotely-life-threatening cut on another dog?????
I will get a better leash, I will muzzle him if I have to. But someone PLEASE tell me they wouldn't put him down.

Latest post on 19 April 2017 - 10:43
Thanks FairyDust. He's a Dubai Special - saluki... maybe golden retriever ??? He's a big suck who... as you say... sometimes gets aggressive with some dogs if they are on leash and he isn't. We know this. We're careful. Obviously not careful enough. My husband went and talked to the neighbour but he wouldn't budge. Said he was too worried about the safety of his children!! My husband tried to explain that our dog has been on this compound for 6 years, all the compound kids know him and play with him and he has never hurt or tried to hurt one of them ever. Equally he has never hurt our child from the ages of 2 through 7, or either one of our cats, or our Guinea *** who he plays with in the garden. This is NOT an aggressive dog. Sadly, my neigbour doesn't give a $hit whose fault it is or what happens to my dog. He clearly doesn't care much about his own dog. Pointing out his behaviour to him would not make an iota of difference. You would understand immediately if you met him. How can people be so evil??? I honestly think he's trying to get back at me because he and his wife upset my daughter int he pool the other day. She told me when I showed up (she was there with a friend and her mum). I went over to ask them if there was a problem because I thought it fairly disgusting that they would approach a 7 year old rather than speak to the adult with her. He actually smiled at me and said he had no idea what I was talking about as they hadn't said a word to my daughter. You should have seen the look of shock on her face when he said this in front of her. I asked if he was suggesting she was making it up and he smiled again and shrugged his shoulders!!!!! These are very strange people!!
Latest post on 19 April 2017 - 06:58
You need to join the 'Dogs in Dubai' facebook group for advice on this situation, as unfortunately there have been a few of late. What breed is your dog? What 'can' happen in this situation is, unfortunately if your neighbour has make a police case, then yes, they can come and confiscate your dog. It can be taken to the Municipality, where they can access its behaviour to deem whether or not it is dangerous. In many situations the animal is given back to the owner, along with a fine and a stern warning. I would strongly suggest that you go and speak to your neighbour, make it clear that it is YOU who is to blame for this situation (true or not), and for them not to be so inhuman as to punish your dog for a mistake. Dogs can attack other dogs for the simplest of reasons, mine gets aggressive at other dogs when they're all on the leash, as he has 'small dog syndrome' and feels he needs to get in before he's got at - leave them all off the lead and no issue at all. Your neighbour sounds like a really horrible person to take delight in this situation, something that you might question them over. In the meantime, if you have somewhere you can send your dog to, a safe place, to a friends, a kennel for the time being until you can resolve the situation, I suggest you do so.
Latest post on 18 April 2017 - 21:05
Gosh! Have never known expatwoman to be so quiet!!! Thank you both
Latest post on 18 April 2017 - 20:59
Latest post on 18 April 2017 - 20:51
Hi I'm so sorry!! Not many people seem to be on Expatwoman anymore unfortunately. I would suggest you go and see your neighbour and apologise! Other than that go onto the Facebook group called 'You know you've been in Dubai too long' and hopefully you'll get some good advice! Hope everything works out! What a terrible worry!!

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY