Working mom v/s Child's 1st year in school | ExpatWoman.com

Working mom v/s Child's 1st year in school

Latest post on 30 April 2017 - 15:09

Hello everyone :)

Looking for some tips n tricks ;) we are a couple who work in Dubai n live in Sharjah. Since we both have to travel to n fro together, we are currently leaving our DD at her nanny's at Al Quoz. Now she is going to an early learning centre in business bay who drop her at her nanny's after the class.. so far so good.

Now the story's gonna change in a few months' time,my DD has joined a school situated in Muhaisnah, and I have started getting a feeling that things are gonna fall upside down.... I don't have any domestic help, will have to cook and send her to the school in the morning, then us to work. My main worry is that, how and when will my DD have lunch. If l countinue to drop her at her nanny's, it will definitely take time and she will starve until she reaches there. Issue is the same if I arrange a babysitter in Sharjah.

I don't really know how to tackle, not sure if anyone of you have gone thru a similar situation.... or am I overthinking?

Pls share your thoughts.
TIA, Ammu

Latest post on 01 May 2017 - 14:27
I would wait for another couple of years before deciding to change jobs... you see for the first couple of years in school the children finish wayyyy earlier than rest of school so even if you do end up working in the school your timings will be substantially different to hers at least until she enters Grade 1. Make a list of what food she normally eats and send in only that... my eldest survived a whole year of school only eating jam sandwiches... and my middle one is currently on an 'idli' craving and only wants that for brekkie and lunch... so don't stress too much and just go with the flow... at this age it really is more important that they just eat something... you can always ensure that the dinner meal (where you are present) is more nutritious etc. What you suggested is right... I hope by the time her school starts I will be done with thinking and worrying :)
Latest post on 01 May 2017 - 10:57
I would wait for another couple of years before deciding to change jobs... you see for the first couple of years in school the children finish wayyyy earlier than rest of school so even if you do end up working in the school your timings will be substantially different to hers at least until she enters Grade 1. Make a list of what food she normally eats and send in only that... my eldest survived a whole year of school only eating jam sandwiches... and my middle one is currently on an 'idli' craving and only wants that for brekkie and lunch... so don't stress too much and just go with the flow... at this age it really is more important that they just eat something... you can always ensure that the dinner meal (where you are present) is more nutritious etc.
Latest post on 30 April 2017 - 17:38
presuming she's going to be around 3.5yrs old when she starts school and normally schools in Dubai have one or two snack breaks during the school day... ideally you should just send in food that she likes and that is heavy enough to sustain her till she reaches either the nanny's home or the babysitter's home... children also love snacks so maybe pack smaller snacks and a variety so that she can pick and choose (and perhaps even nibble some on the way on the bus) snacks that work well in our household include the following: - fruit cut up in different shapes (cookie cutters are great for this) - cheese sticks - pretzels - crackers - hard cheese (like cheddar cubes) - yoghurt pods - beef jerkey - dried fruit - mini sandwich rolls - raisins - oat bars the above items are super easy (as they're all readily available to buy and is great for working parents with minimal time to cook)... you could always send in a hot lunch too which your child could have during the longer break at school... something like fried rice or pasta or pie or curry... we send food in these tiny thermos jars called Funtainers which keep the food nice and warm in time for lunch and we rarely get any food back home do things to make your life easier and the transition to school easy... plan meals with your child... let them decide what they'd like as a special treat on each day... let them help you pack their lunch boxes (teaches them independence too!) Thanks alot for the ideas, dear?? these are very easy as you said, to arrange... only problem is, my daughty is a picky eater. Now on I will try planning her own lunch with her n see how it goes! She will be 4 by the time she starts schooling. I am even thinking to change my job... thought of trying in schools/ colleges so that I can keep time in line with hers. Hoping for the best! Regards Ammu
Latest post on 30 April 2017 - 16:27
presuming she's going to be around 3.5yrs old when she starts school and normally schools in Dubai have one or two snack breaks during the school day... ideally you should just send in food that she likes and that is heavy enough to sustain her till she reaches either the nanny's home or the babysitter's home... children also love snacks so maybe pack smaller snacks and a variety so that she can pick and choose (and perhaps even nibble some on the way on the bus) snacks that work well in our household include the following: - fruit cut up in different shapes (cookie cutters are great for this) - cheese sticks - pretzels - crackers - hard cheese (like cheddar cubes) - yoghurt pods - beef jerkey - dried fruit - mini sandwich rolls - raisins - oat bars the above items are super easy (as they're all readily available to buy and is great for working parents with minimal time to cook)... you could always send in a hot lunch too which your child could have during the longer break at school... something like fried rice or pasta or pie or curry... we send food in these tiny thermos jars called Funtainers which keep the food nice and warm in time for lunch and we rarely get any food back home do things to make your life easier and the transition to school easy... plan meals with your child... let them decide what they'd like as a special treat on each day... let them help you pack their lunch boxes (teaches them independence too!)

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY