Please do NOT cycle on the roads in Arabian Ranches | ExpatWoman.com

Please do NOT cycle on the roads in Arabian Ranches

Latest post on 10 November 2012 - 21:33

Second cyclist in an accident this week and pretty bad apparently. Same road both times near Hattan.
<em>edited by Bird on 10/11/2012</em>

Latest post on 12 November 2012 - 16:22
Maybe there should be a cycle initiative in place that educates people about sharing the road and cycle and car safety. bless you; [b'>need to start with drivers sharing the road with other drivers.... baby steps[/b'> ;) I absolutely agree, for a few years now I have volunteered with London Cycling Campaign and they do loads to try and promote safety and mutual respect on the roads... (See, this is a project for someone (EXPAT) to undertake if there looking to do something proactive to do, join forces with the cycling clubs in Dubai and raise awareness... Hint,Hint) Its always baby steps... without cycling and cyclists been made to look like a bad sport and people... No - i meant car drivers need to learn how to share the road with other car drivers.... have you actually driven out here? No, but I have driven in Jamaica (as well as other countries) and I would say that there is nowhere worse in the world to drive, NOWHERE!! no road markings, signs, no designated parking places, you could literally leave the car in the middle of the road if you wanted too..haha (literally) And Jamaica is one place I would not cycle unless I had alot of people around me.. if you get knocked over in some parts of Jamaica, your lucky if the police turn up in good time to deal with it...I would not have a problem driving in Dubai or even cycling. I think worldwide, as soon as some people get into the car they turn into different people and the devil comes out in them...sorry, I meant Satan, I know bad driving behaviour is not unique to Dubai.. but some proactive work is needed, this is a long term project which I would happily volunteer my time too..
Latest post on 12 November 2012 - 16:11
Maybe there should be a cycle initiative in place that educates people about sharing the road and cycle and car safety. bless you; [b'>need to start with drivers sharing the road with other drivers.... baby steps[/b'> ;) I absolutely agree, for a few years now I have volunteered with London Cycling Campaign and they do loads to try and promote safety and mutual respect on the roads... (See, this is a project for someone (EXPAT) to undertake if there looking to do something proactive to do, join forces with the cycling clubs in Dubai and raise awareness... Hint,Hint) Its always baby steps... without cycling and cyclists been made to look like a bad sport and people... No - i meant car drivers need to learn how to share the road with other car drivers.... have you actually driven out here?
Latest post on 12 November 2012 - 16:08
Maybe there should be a cycle initiative in place that educates people about sharing the road and cycle and car safety. bless you; [b'>need to start with drivers sharing the road with other drivers.... baby steps[/b'> ;) I absolutely agree, for a few years now I have volunteered with London Cycling Campaign and they do loads to try and promote safety and mutual respect on the roads... (See, this is a project for someone (EXPAT) to undertake if there looking to do something proactive to do, join forces with the cycling clubs in Dubai and raise awareness... Hint,Hint) Its always baby steps... without cycling and cyclists been made to look like a bad sport and people...
Latest post on 12 November 2012 - 15:59
Maybe there should be a cycle initiative in place that educates people about sharing the road and cycle and car safety. bless you; need to start with drivers sharing the road with other drivers.... baby steps ;)
Latest post on 12 November 2012 - 15:54
I've started riding with a group of ladies around the Ranches recently. We thought we had chosen a time of the morning that had little traffic (after school drop off etc) but have noticed that even in 'off peak' drivers still choose to use the back straight as a race track. There are a lot of people out training for this Spinneys ride coming up and I wonder if there are just more people trying to fit their distance in any way they can. [b'>I've seen cyclists riding around town half way out on the road instead of being as close to the kerb as possible.[/b'>Yes, there is the Al Qudra track but there has been cycling accidents while riders make their way to that and unfortunately cars have been seen driving on the cycling path so nowhere is safe from stupidity. I agree with Drownedinthenile - regardless of the traffic, many cyclists are not wearing appropriate clothing and enough lights on their bikes. Helmets can have an extra light attached as well as the back of the bike - they are cheap and do the trick when they are turned on. Hopefully all bike shops in the UAE are carrying extra reflective clothing, waistbands, ankle straps etc by now. Cyclists - make yourself visible and eliminate some of the risks of being on the road with cars - roads over here weren't made for both. [b'>In the UK the standard practice is for cyclists to ride in the middle of the lane[/b'> - a pain for traffic behind them if you ask me but it's supposed to be the safest way..... our taxi drove past the aftermath of that accident last night and we saw the policeman picking up the flattened bike.... 10 seconds later a gardener on a bike came up behind us without a single light on !! Cycling safety is a hot topic in the UK at the moment following the two recent accidents of Bradley Wiggins and Shane Sutton.. I'm not sure what part of the UK you are from but that has never been standard practice!! I am a competitive road cyclist and cycle with a team, its never nice to hear about people being hit and at times killed by a car. There just needs to be a mutual respect for the road and each other (car and cyclist). Alot of the time an accident can be prevented and at other times it is definitely due to carelessness. I would never dream of cycling on the pavements, especially at the speeds that myself and the people I cycle with travel, now that's suicide!! When I return to Dubai I will be cycling with Dubai Roadsters, who have designated cycle routes and a huge team of cyclists that meet regularly. Maybe there should be a cycle initiative in place that educates people about sharing the road and cycle and car safety.
Latest post on 12 November 2012 - 12:52
and maybe the EMAAR cleaners could be advised not to ride their 3 wheeled bikes on the wrong side of the road like the one coming round the corner towards me yesterday just as i was turning the same corner !!
Latest post on 12 November 2012 - 12:50
As you can see from my amount of posts I don't comment that often but this is turning into such a silly argument that I feel the need to. Surely the whole point is that regardless of whether you are in a car, on a bike, riding a motorbike, walking, etc, it is about common sense, consideration for the other users on the road and avoiding any form of collision. Of course you need to be aware of the potential implications of an accident from a legal perspective but should you not be more concerned about not taking the life of another human being or risking your own! I for one think that the way that all types of people use the roads is beyond a joke and think that a little common courtesy and consideration would make a world of difference. Oh and FYI I do live in the Ranches. Yes you're right. Thers no hope though when some people think they own the roads and make sweeping statements about a particular road user. It is about obeying the road rules and being courteous.
Latest post on 12 November 2012 - 12:50
Bird, DH just confirmed that the driver was arrested and spent 2 nights behind bars but was let off as the cyclist was not allowed to ride in that area... Just like emaar's community rules state :( Either way, it's not the time for a 'who's right' but we should all remember, that cycling is not permitted on main roads n moreover it's the cyclist who should be aware of other motorist as UAE is not like other countries where speed limits are much lower... Cyclist are putting the public at risk!!!! Are you talking about the truck driver at Global village who killed your husband's colleague? I'm talking about the residential roads of Arabian Ranches. According to the Emaar rules the speed limit is 40km on the main roads around the communities and 25km through communities. That's about 25mph and 15mph. Much slower and you'd stop. If it's not a time for who's right then why do you keep saying that cyclists should be aware of motorists and that they are putting the public at risk? Just read that again out loud and tell everyone you meet. Better advise all the cyclists in the Ranches including all the children that cycle to school that they are breaking the law and putting the public at risk. In fact better tell the school! And Emaar for putting cycle racks outside the community shops! Oh and the security guards employed by Emaar not to use their bikes. edited by Bird on 12/11/2012 edited by Bird on 12/11/2012 The section that shopgirl quoted only applies to recreational paths around the lakes and parks...i didn't look at the rest of it to find where it says cycles are not allowed on the main community roads - the only section i found just says off road vehicles and suchlike are not allowed... By "main roads" it's not clear whether Ecochick means the main roads of the Ranches or main roads in general where you can't ride a cycle if the speed limit is above 60 k (Ranches is 40)..
Latest post on 12 November 2012 - 12:36
As you can see from my amount of posts I don't comment that often but this is turning into such a silly argument that I feel the need to. Surely the whole point is that regardless of whether you are in a car, on a bike, riding a motorbike, walking, etc, it is about common sense, consideration for the other users on the road and avoiding any form of collision. Of course you need to be aware of the potential implications of an accident from a legal perspective but should you not be more concerned about not taking the life of another human being or risking your own! I for one think that the way that all types of people use the roads is beyond a joke and think that a little common courtesy and consideration would make a world of difference. Oh and FYI I do live in the Ranches.
Latest post on 12 November 2012 - 11:47
Bird, DH just confirmed that the driver was arrested and spent 2 nights behind bars but was let off as the cyclist was not allowed to ride in that area... Just like emaar's community rules state :( Either way, it's not the time for a 'who's right' but we should all remember, that cycling is not permitted on main roads n moreover it's the cyclist who should be aware of other motorist as UAE is not like other countries where speed limits are much lower... Cyclist are putting the public at risk!!!! Are you talking about the truck driver at Global village who killed your husband's colleague? I'm talking about the residential roads of Arabian Ranches. According to the Emaar rules the speed limit is 40km on the main roads around the communities and 25km through communities. That's about 25mph and 15mph. Much slower and you'd stop. If it's not a time for who's right then why do you keep saying that cyclists should be aware of motorists and that they are putting the public at risk? Just read that again out loud and tell everyone you meet. Better advise all the cyclists in the Ranches including all the children that cycle to school that they are breaking the law and putting the public at risk. In fact better tell the school! And Emaar for putting cycle racks outside the community shops! Oh and the security guards employed by Emaar not to use their bikes. edited by Bird on 12/11/2012 <em>edited by Bird on 12/11/2012</em>
Latest post on 12 November 2012 - 10:03
Bird, DH just confirmed that the driver was arrested and spent 2 nights behind bars but was let off as the cyclist was not allowed to ride in that area... Just like emaar's community rules state :( Either way, it's not the time for a 'who's right' but we should all remember, that cycling is not permitted on main roads n moreover it's the cyclist who should be aware of other motorist as UAE is not like other countries where speed limits are much lower... Cyclist are putting the public at risk!!!!
Latest post on 12 November 2012 - 09:57
Do I detect a slight note of sarcasm, here, Kakariki? ([b'>Your very name sounds rude in French, somehow[/b'>.) But it sounds beautiful in Maori!
Latest post on 12 November 2012 - 07:59
The driver that hit me is in prison, fact, and the sergeant explained why. Are you able to share that reason with us, please, Bird? (If not, it is understood no offence meant and none taken.) Just the fact that he violated traffic rules. I knew what he had done and so did he, it was reassuring that the sergeant reiterated it.
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 22:18
Btw... For rancher residents... Drive towards bab al shams, first round about, you will see a parking lot followed by an awesomely safe cycle lane... Just keep an eye out for random cars who have been seen on the awesomely safe cycle lane Do I detect a slight note of sarcasm, here, Kakariki? (Your very name sounds rude in French, somehow.)
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 22:16
Btw... For rancher residents... Drive towards bab al shams, first round about, you will see a parking lot followed by an awesomely safe cycle lane... Just keep an eye out for random cars who have been seen on the awesomely safe cycle lane
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 22:13
The driver that hit me is in prison, fact, and the sergeant explained why. Are you able to share that reason with us, please, Bird? (If not, it is understood no offence meant and none taken.)
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 22:08
I believe ecochic will find her statement: [b'>Dubai government rule - if a cyclist dies on the roads, the vehicle driver is not imprisoned as the cyclist is at fault for not following the law.[/b'> is not as categorical as she thinks. Dubai FAQ says: "UAE Federal Law No. 21 of 1995, and Ministerial Order No. 130 of 1997 cover the use of bicycles in the UAE. Article 16 of the law says that cyclists should ride on the right of the road, should not ride on the footpath, should use cycle tracks where available, and are not permitted to ride on[b'> main roads[/b'>." Roads inside compounds such as AR are hardly main roads. edited by simpleasabc on 11/11/2012 Why have so many bicyclists been run over lately? Partly, it is because the sport is gaining popularity here in Dubai - so more riders. But I think there is a serious lack of education here on the part of both drivers and riders on how to share the road. I know CycleSafe exists and there are plans from the Cycle Hub to do education - but until something changes we are all at risk. Sorry to burst your bubble :) Earlier this year an expat from my DH company died on the spot in the early hours riding his cycle at global village. Cops on the scene rushed him to nearby hospitals where they declared him dead. The company and family were informed that any accidents caused by vehicles to bikes n the riders were not the fault of the driver and the driver were not liable for any punishment or fines.... Sad but true... They blamed the cyclist n let the driver scot free.... Driver was an Asian pick up trucker... Even riding on the main community roads (not internal after gates) face the same... As told by the cops.... Circulars were issued to all staff... May have been true in this case, bit difficult to defend yourself when you're dead? The driver that hit me is in prison, fact, and the sergeant explained why.
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 22:05
Unfortunately, it seems the Dubai Police and the RTA are still not singing from the same song sheet, Ecochic.
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 21:53
Btw... For rancher residents... Drive towards bab al shams, first round about, you will see a parking lot followed by an awesomely safe cycle lane...
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 21:49
I believe ecochic will find her statement: [b'>Dubai government rule - if a cyclist dies on the roads, the vehicle driver is not imprisoned as the cyclist is at fault for not following the law.[/b'> is not as categorical as she thinks. Dubai FAQ says: "UAE Federal Law No. 21 of 1995, and Ministerial Order No. 130 of 1997 cover the use of bicycles in the UAE. Article 16 of the law says that cyclists should ride on the right of the road, should not ride on the footpath, should use cycle tracks where available, and are not permitted to ride on[b'> main roads[/b'>." Roads inside compounds such as AR are hardly main roads. edited by simpleasabc on 11/11/2012 Why have so many bicyclists been run over lately? Partly, it is because the sport is gaining popularity here in Dubai - so more riders. But I think there is a serious lack of education here on the part of both drivers and riders on how to share the road. I know CycleSafe exists and there are plans from the Cycle Hub to do education - but until something changes we are all at risk. Sorry to burst your bubble :) Earlier this year an expat from my DH company died on the spot in the early hours riding his cycle at global village. Cops on the scene rushed him to nearby hospitals where they declared him dead. The company and family were informed that any accidents caused by vehicles to bikes n the riders were not the fault of the driver and the driver were not liable for any punishment or fines.... Sad but true... They blamed the cyclist n let the driver scot free.... Driver was an Asian pick up trucker... Even riding on the main community roads (not internal after gates) face the same... As told by the cops.... Circulars were issued to all staff...
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 19:16
I'm sorry about your accident Bird and I'm glad the driver got punished. Back2Blonde, the paths in the Ranches aren't dedicated cycle paths hence there are also walkers/runners on them. If someone is going for a serious exercise/training ride then there is simply to much foot traffic on the paths to achieve this. Cyclists can't go too fast on the paths without risking hitting a pedestrian. So they are fine for casual slow biking and great for children but that's about it. For my own stance, I hate biking (hat hair, yuck) and find cyclists on the roads a pain in the butt and yet another hazard to watch out for. BUT, I do respect that they have as much right to be on the road as me in my car and treat them accordingly. Thanks Daza and Feemick. Not as bad as the cyclist last night.
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 18:40
I just drove my daughter to Guides at Ranches. Three different cyclists - all wearing dark clothing and not one had lights on. The driving in AR seemed partic crazy tonight - the 4WD overtaking the school bus would have caused a head on collision if I hadn't taken evasive action. I just don't get it. Kakariki - yep black 4wd
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 18:16
. sand_fairy wrote: [b'>Footpaths (as the name implies) are not meant for bikes and cycling on them is not right. There is a cycle path on Jumeriah open beach and also some cycle routes around the city.[/[/b'>quote'> We've lived in the Ranches since it opened 8 years ago and we used to be sent memos from Emaar asking everyone NOT to cycle on the roads. Emaar used to say it was not allowed here and cycling was only permitted on the footpaths. I haven't seen one of these memos for a few years but I bet we will see them again soon. <em>edited by bits on 11/11/2012</em>
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 17:36
I used to cycle to work in london but i would never cycle on the roads here..... too many idiots; actually think it's a bit suicidal to do it here.
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 17:30
The UK Highway Code allows 2 abreast cycling and many cycle clubs encourage the practice along with riding in the centre of the lane and having those warning stick things that protrude a few inches from the bike... I pass a man roller skating on the road every morning...now THAT'S madness !! lol
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 17:02
Bird - I hope you weren't too badly injured. I was driving through ranches last Thurs morning around 10am and passed 3 female cyclists. I was gob smacked at the 4 wheel drive which over took my car and the cyclists on quite a bad bend. At the time I thought how scary it would be to cycle on the roads round there. Some people are soooooo impatient! Was that the black 4x4 on the back road? If so, that was me on the bike with a couple of new cyclists. I'm going to put my Gopro on my head so I can record some of these idiots and report them!
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 17:02
I'm sorry about your accident Bird and I'm glad the driver got punished. Back2Blonde, the paths in the Ranches aren't dedicated cycle paths hence there are also walkers/runners on them. If someone is going for a serious exercise/training ride then there is simply to much foot traffic on the paths to achieve this. Cyclists can't go too fast on the paths without risking hitting a pedestrian. So they are fine for casual slow biking and great for children but that's about it. For my own stance, I hate biking (hat hair, yuck) and find cyclists on the roads a pain in the butt and yet another hazard to watch out for. BUT, I do respect that they have as much right to be on the road as me in my car and treat them accordingly.
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 16:43
Bird - I hope you weren't too badly injured. I was driving through ranches last Thurs morning around 10am and passed 3 female cyclists. I was gob smacked at the 4 wheel drive which over took my car and the cyclists on quite a bad bend. At the time I thought how scary it would be to cycle on the roads round there. Some people are soooooo impatient!
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 16:42
I believe ecochic will find her statement: [b'>Dubai government rule - if a cyclist dies on the roads, the vehicle driver is not imprisoned as the cyclist is at fault for not following the law.[/b'> is not as categorical as she thinks. Dubai FAQ says: "UAE Federal Law No. 21 of 1995, and Ministerial Order No. 130 of 1997 cover the use of bicycles in the UAE. Article 16 of the law says that cyclists should ride on the right of the road, should not ride on the footpath, should use cycle tracks where available, and are not permitted to ride on[b'> main roads[/b'>." Roads inside compounds such as AR are hardly main roads. edited by simpleasabc on 11/11/2012 Why have so many bicyclists been run over lately? Partly, it is because the sport is gaining popularity here in Dubai - so more riders. But I think there is a serious lack of education here on the part of both drivers and riders on how to share the road. I know CycleSafe exists and there are plans from the Cycle Hub to do education - but until something changes we are all at risk.
Latest post on 11 November 2012 - 16:38
I don't see why all cyclists can not use the paths in Arabian Ranches? I go for a walk every evening and there are plenty of them that do use the paths and when they come up behind me, I move out of there way - most people would! Nearly every weekend I see couples cycling on the roads side-by-side! This is just ridiculous! And I can not even count how many people I see without helmets on either...

ON EXPATWOMAN TODAY